Cruise Critic Community
rugbypopsie

Thanks

Just wanted to drop by to say thanks for the information and tips....I had a fantastic time canal boating in Wales it was terrific...I'd love the opportunity to do it again. Everybody was so helpful and the countryside looked lovely. I also met a lovely lot of your countrymen and women on the Aegean Odyysey it was one of my favourite holidays from start to finish.

I hope some of you will come an visit us downunder sometime soon.

Sue

Glad to here you enjoyed yourself here in Wales. What canal where you on???

We left from Chirk and went to Llangollen then the Union & Shropshire as far as Whitchurch and the step locks....simply beautiful. The pubs, food and people made for a fantastic time...even the weather co-operated.

Sue

We left from Chirk and went to Llangollen then the Union & Shropshire as far as Whitchurch and the step locks....simply beautiful. The pubs, food and people made for a fantastic time...even the weather co-operated.

Sue

That area has some great scenery, and concerning the weather, you must of won the weather lottery, as our weather as been atrocious this year.

That was the only downside...lugging a suitcase full of cold/wet weather clothes that proved unnecessary..the weather was fine and cool apart from a few spots of rain actually perfect..it was apparently wet before we came and turned really nasty after we left.. We went on to enjoy a Med cruise so that suitcase was not opened again until we got home.

We were more than happy with every aspect...our stay at Lion Quays was very pleasant also. We arranged a pickup from Heathrow with Jets transport service which provided us with a pleasant drive up to Wales rather than changing planes etc. etc.

We will be looking out for some other canal experiences after this, our menfolk thought drifting along with a nice glass of red wine and dinner in a cosy pub with good food every night was the perfect holiday for them. Gorgeous scenery, quaint towns, minimal cooking and cleaning was popular with us wives too. So suggestions on another canal for us to try another time would be welcome.

Its a long way to come from Australia but the perfect antidote to a long long plane trip and jetlag.

Sue

If you want to try something a little different, then the wider canal of the Leeds/Liverpool has some stunning scenery, including a long tunnel under the Pennines. The locks are slightly more difficult, being double the size of the narrow canals, but there's a lot of sharing.

The Rochdale canal is scenic- a narrow one.

I've not yet travelled on the Scottish system, but I'd love to do the Great Glen, or the lakes in Northern Ireland.

If you want to try something a little different, then the wider canal of the Leeds/Liverpool has some stunning scenery, including a long tunnel under the Pennines. The locks are slightly more difficult, being double the size of the narrow canals, but there's a lot of sharing.

I've not yet travelled on the Scottish system, but I'd love to do the Great Glen, or the lakes in Northern Ireland.

Thanks for that tip I will file it away, I am usually a dedicated ocean cruiser but the narrow boat was just lovely..I've posted a link on my facebook and everyone has enjoyed the photos. I am thinking you have to be a bit careful about the time of year...it must get quite crowded at the locks during the summer season?

Sue

Dear jocap,

I sailed the Caledonian Canal from Fort William to Inverness some years ago. My e-mail is highlandpark"at"mindspring.com.I will be happy to send you the trip story and pictures.