Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skandls

Summit vs. Grandeur Reimbursements

Just read about the cancelled and shortened Summit cruises. Since RCI owns both RCCL and Celebrity why did we Grandeur (shortened cruise) passengers get so little in compensation? For loss of 1 day and 1 port they get $300 per cabin credit plus $ for hotel or airfare changes and 25% credit toward a future cruise??? Whats going on here?

That's a great question. I still am waiting, after 1 month and no response from e-mail, letter and letter from t/a. I really think they are going to assume we'll forget about our losses and move on. This is VERY disturbing and not go p/r for a large publicly traded operation.

It might be that the Grandeur problem was an RCI accident and the Summit is a mechanical problem, a problem that RCI may be receiving a kick-back for from the company who originally produced the faulty part (which I believe is a propulsion unit).

Or maybe not....

I think it's just a matter of higher compensation from the premium line in the company. Celebrity has sued the makers of the pods for something like $300 million, so maybe they're counting on recouping some of their reimbursement/cancelled cruise losses in the future.

While the money for the X pods may be coming from insurance, We still think the overall treatment of us 4/25 passengers was rather shabby. I was just suprised to be told that a hole in the ship was not a 'mechanical' problem so the cruise line insurance did not pay expenses for the 2 day delay in our departure. We had arrived in New Orleans on Wed before the incident.