Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pandora85345

Where to stay in New York, New York

Thats exactly what I was talking about...they are either REALLY good or REALLY bad. I haven't found any reviews on this hotel at Trip Advisor that are middle of the road.

Read carefully. Some of the reviews are not for this NYC Edison hotel.

Read carefully. Some of the reviews are not for this NYC Edison hotel.

Well, I just checked again, and the hotel is a 3* with the average user ratings at 3.5

The most recent ratings (while there was one bad one) for june all said it was a nice place (I'm not looking for a resort), so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I wont be too dissapointed. Although, the small amount of contact I HAVE had with the employees is dissapointing as most if not all have been harsh and rude. Hopefully, in person this is not what I will experience.

Another thing to keep in mind is where the people are from who wrote the reviews. I see a lot that are not from the USA. Expectations and ratings from people outside the US and Canada can very different.

Have you looked into the Marriott ?

On a trip to visit me in the US, my parents ( from the UK) stayed in the Edison on a booking made by their TA. They had no knowlege about anything in NY so accepted the booking. My father said it was a dump with rooms no larger than broom closets and a metal cabinet for a closet. Of course things may have changed in the last few years. When you book a NY hotel at a discounted rate, beware , you get what you pay for, especially in NY..........jean:cool:

On a trip to visit me in the US, my parents ( from the UK) stayed in the Edison on a booking made by their TA. They had no knowlege about anything in NY so accepted the booking. My father said it was a dump with rooms no larger than broom closets and a metal cabinet for a closet. Of course things may have changed in the last few years. When you book a NY hotel at a discounted rate, beware , you get what you pay for, especially in NY..........jean:cool:

is $305 for a mini suite consitered a discount rate?

[EDIT]

Well, I was about ready to jump ship on Hotel Edison then my TA informed me (for the first time) that her company has a $25 cancellation policy (no wonder she made me pay for everything so quickly) and the company she reserved the hotel with might have one as well. Also, said company doesn't have a "contract" to book suites at Hotel Edison so I'm SOL in that department as well.

I have learned 2 things from this experience: 1) That I DON'T have to pay everything within 6 days of reservation - heck, I even have until about 90 days before a cruise to make a final payment (who knew); and 2) Next time I will not use her services - maybe I'll do it all on my own...maybe I'll change careers and become a TA myself...who knows!

Luckily I only had her book Hotel Edison for our Last Night in NY and we have a Broadway show that's really close to the hotel so we will REALLY only have to sleep there. I'm sure it will be just fine!

I personally booked the day before the cruise BY MYSELF so I can still cancel as no payments have been made (and I'm having a hard time working with the staff at Hotel Edison) so I might just look at other hotels. Has anyone heard of The Excelsior Hotel? The reviews on Orbitz.com seem bright. I just don't know how much a taxi will cost getting there form La Guardia and getting to the ship from Excelsior. I feel so lost now! Thanks for all the advice!

The Rihga Royal has a summetime special of $279 per night. We stayed there and it was a very nice hotel with a lot to do in the area.

Cheers

General Max

No ... but given that they're asking the price of a 7-day cruise in an inside cabin ($619.00) for a SINGLE night's stay in one of their suites, I would rather find some place else to sleep. :) I liked it as the Rihga, but I can't afford it as the London NYC. :)

I can't believe this old thread has been resurrected. Again. :rolleyes:

It's taken so many twists and turns that any vaild information is now impossible to discern.

I don't quite understand this post. The OP's original thread is dated May 2005, says they are booked in Feb, I would assume this to mean Feb 2006, so the trip is already over. Why is anyone concerned with this now?

But just to add my two cents, I just returned from NYC and New England/Canada cruise 9/24 to 10/05. I stayed two nights at the Hotel Edison (right at Times Square). While the hotel is old, I found the art deco style fascinating. The room we had was actually quite large. I had been led to believe all rooms in NYC would be tiny, but didn't find that to be the case at all. Everything was neat and clean. The desk staff was very nice and accommodating. I had requested a smoking room on a lower floor. They placed us on the 15th floor, which I wasn't happy with, but was told that was the smoking floor. Once in the room, the window wouldn't open, so I called down to the front desk. Was informed it's NYC law that the windows be permanently locked. I then asked to be moved to a lower floor, that if I couldn't open the window, I couldn't smoke in the room anyway, so I wanted to be on a lower floor. I was accommodated immediately on floor 4. It made it more inconvenient for me to have to go downstairs and outside to smoke, but that's what I have to do when traveling with a friend with asthma. There are beautiful murals and decor in the lobby of the hotel. There were like 4 or 5 elevators that were very quick. At $189 + tax for a total of $210 per night for two people/two beds, I thought it was a terrific deal. Everyplace else I tried in Manhattan was over $300 per night.

I was more concerned with all the scaffolding seen throughout NYC. Everything seems to be in a constant state of renovation. Hope the OP had a good trip and enjoyed her stay at the Edison as much as we did.:D

Thanks for the review on the Edison. I personally like this entire thread because my stay there hasn't happened yet and I appreciate any first hand stories people have to share.

I finally did cancel my booking with my TA and have reserved mini suites for the night before our cruise and the 2 nights after our cruise. Hopefully we'll like it. :D

The room we had at the Rihga Royal in February, 2006 was actually a one bedroom suite. They show room layouts on their website and we paid about 210 per night with a AAA discount. The one bedroom suites are about 500 square feet and the bathroom had been renovated.

agabbymama,

Thank you SO much for your review of the Edison. I've been researching Hotels for my next stay in NYC and haven't made up my mind as to WHERE. Thanks!!!!

Staying across the Hudson River in NJ ..Jersey City, Secaucus, Weehawkin , Saddle Brook, Paramus, etc.... gives you many advantages..

Why do you think the Rock Stars, Diplomats and others do it too?

1.) Much Lower prices with similar or better services.

2.) Usually FREE Parking and/or Shuttle Services to/from the Piers etc..Airports

3. Much Lower Taxation and NO Bottle and/or Can Deposits ( NJ never had this ever )

4.) The Best View of NYC and its FIVE Boroughs.

5.) FAst Low Cost Transit/ Mass Tansit into the City..

Buses, Taxis, Limos, Trains, Ferries..etc...

:D

Because one of the draws of staying in NYC pre-cruise is doing stuff IN THE CITY. Having to commute in and out burns valuable time.

New Jersey???

That's like suggesting to someone coming to SF that they stay in Oakland...

Sorry, but I guess residing here makes us jaded. As one would be if they lived next to the Eiffel tower on a Rue too.

Getting to NYC MidTown in mere Minutes is a plus thusly instead of paying Hundreds of $USD you pay a lot less and have all the benefits.

NY and NYC used to have what was called a Commuter Tax. Yes Taxation withot reperesentation. As even if one member of a married family worked in NYC and/or NY the whole Income was taxed... So unfair prices and taxes we always watchout for in the Garden State.

Yes if a Pre-Cruise is a day/night before thats understandable but most dont klnow how much less it is across the Hudson River.. yes Three Minutes from MidTown...

Buses do run ever few minutes too. Ferries are great as well.

Because one of the draws of staying in NYC pre-cruise is doing stuff IN THE CITY. Having to commute in and out burns valuable time.

Not really :rolleyes:

It is more like on the Pennisula there in Tech Heaven (NJ is the Invention State)

Taking the BART there is ok for some of us folks...;)

New Jersey???

New Jersey???

Well, not exactly..........

The overwhelming majority of NJ is rolling hills, horse county,fabulous and historical architecture and some of the county's most expensive real estate. But I agree this is not the NJ, that most people know, or one that a vacationer, who wants to spend time in NY, is going to appreciate.

What NJ does have is good accommodations at reasonable cost and occupancy taxes, compared to NYC. It's a quick and often fun commute of a few minutes, back and forth. So if one is watching their money, "Sleeping in NJ" ( good title for a movie?) is a viable option.

It's especially convenient to lower Manhatten, where the Hudson joins the East River, the streets follow the maze of original cow paths, the WTC Memorial, Staten Island Ferry ( best 25 cents you will ever spend), Battery Park, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, China Town, TriBeCa, Alphabet City, Soho, NoHo and ho-ho.

If these are the sights that a travelor wants to see, they are closer to NJ than they are to mid town. It really depends upon how much one wants to spend for a hotel and what one wants to achieve during their often limited time in NYC.

Yes and to think we slept in the same states...

Will you write it ? Sleeping in New Jersey will sell more, IMHO, than the Montclair classic Cheaper by the Dozen!

The Staten Island Ferry((FREE NOW)) no more Two Bits! (For those not in the know) thats another Borough of NYC the Verazzano Narrows is one way toll.. ask any NYer... how much.. goes from Brooklyn Borough to Staten Island Borough of NYC!

The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Island) as well Ellis Island are in New Jersey!

PSE&G PEG:NYSE supplies the Gas and Electric too...

The Tubes (Trains) which used to go into our WTC from Hokoken, NJ etc.. are great. Downtown was the original settlement of the Dutch up to the old canal thusly the name and Subway stop Canal Street in NYC...

On Wall St there is Federal Hall used in numerous documentaries and commercials ..this is where our first President spoke ...yes the NYSE is actually on Broad St. not Wall Street.. Trinity Church, Episcopal is where Alexander hamilton as well the first Coomendant of the US Marines is buried and other very famous people... that was my sanctuary for lunch many many days... an oasis of peace...

The AMEX (American Stock Exchange) is right there in the rear entrance..

Yes they have what is named Exchange Alley.. NYSE 2 AMEX..

Inside the City of New York, New York you are able to find most anything and everything too and at most times of the day if you look in the right places..

I do like NY but I love NJ as it has all the benefits without all the TAXES and Expenses...

Which would you like an ounce of GOLD (AU) at 600$USD or 150$USD? :eek:

Well, not exactly..........

The overwhelming majority of NJ is rolling hills, horse county,fabulous and historical architecture and some of the county's most expensive real estate. But I agree this is not the NJ, that most people know, or one that a vacationer, who wants to spend time in NY, is going to appreciate.

What NJ does have is good accommodations at reasonable cost and occupancy taxes, compared to NYC. It's a quick and often fun commute of a few minutes, back and forth. So if one is watching their money, "Sleeping in NJ" ( good title for a movie?) is a viable option.

It's especially convenient to lower Manhatten, where the Hudson joins the East River, the streets follow the maze of original cow paths, the WTC Memorial, Staten Island Ferry ( best 25 cents you will ever spend), Battery Park, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, China Town, TriBeCa, Alphabet City, Soho, NoHo and ho-ho.

If these are the sights that a travelor wants to see, they are closer to NJ than they are to mid town. It really depends upon how much one wants to spend for a hotel and what one wants to achieve during their often limited time in NYC.

Reverand Neal,

The Rihga Royal just reopened as The London. Their rates are astronomical compared to the rates we paid in February 2006. Their website is rather interesting and upscale but don't justify the new rates.

Cheers

General Max

Still IMHO the place to stay if your in town (NYC:Manhattan Borough) is the Waldorf Astoria.

:cool: