Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pandora85345

Where to stay in New York, New York

When I am visiting NYC I do not consider staying anywhere else. I am in and out of my hotel several times a day and to have to commute would be very inconvenient and time consuming.

I get up early and go for a run, stop in for coffee at a corner deli, go back and shower. Then I am out for the morning and generally make a stop back there around lunch to drop off purchases, etc. Early evening I am back to shower and change for the evening.

I would not have that flexibility if I stayed in NJ.

I like the W Tuscany, the Court, the Marriott Eastside and the Affinia in Murray Hill. I avoid the theater district as I find it unappealing.

I love NYC, was raised just outside in NJ and am back 3-4x a year just to enjoy!

Why is the Waldorf Astoria recommended?

General Max

Too many reasons to list, but start with it being one of the world's renowned hotels, mid-town Manhatten location on Park Ave. and near many of the city's famous sites, timeless elegance, wonderful service, several restaurants, famous '30s Art Deco architecture, the hotel of visiting dignitaries, Presidents, and world leaders, and an outstanding 5* reputation. :)

Why is the Waldorf Astoria recommended?

General Max

Too many reasons to list, but start with it being one of the world's renowned hotels, mid-town Manhatten location on Park Ave. and near many of the city's famous sites, timeless elegance, wonderful service, several restaurants, famous '30s Art Deco architecture, the hotel of visiting dignitaries, Presidents, and world leaders, and an outstanding 5* reputation. :)

Hi:

We are from the NY area. Depending on fares, your best bet for flying is either Newark Liberty or Laguardia. If you do not want to do anything in NYC before the cruise, we suggest Newark as there are some decent hotels close to the airport and failry reasonable. You can check on line. If you want to stay in NYC, its expensive. We would suggest the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central 42nd Street. Less expensive are the Roosevelt or NY Helmsley in the same neighborhood. The ships leave from piers on the Hudson River around 48-49th streets. If you stay at the NYC Hotels, take a 10 minute taxi ride over. If you stay near Newark, we suggest that you go back to the airport and get a car service from there ( about $60-$75- not sure). Any more questions, please post.:)

I have used Priceline numerous times in Manhattan with good results. Do your research on biddingfortravel.com and you may just get lucky!

I have "won" the Grand Hyatt 4x, the Roosevelt 2x, the Doubletree Metropolitan and a few others. I have never paid more than 165/nt.

Just a thought.

Hotel Pennsylvania - right across street from Penn Station/Madison Square Garden is reasonably priced -- about $150-$175 depending on day of the week -- perhaps 10 minute and $15 cab ride to Hudson River pier.

If you book a Manhattan hotel through Priceline, do the hotels clean the room and change linens between guests? I have used them several times and found dirty glasses, candy wrappers, unclean underwear in drawers and traces of vomit in the bathtub.

If you book a Manhattan hotel through Priceline, do the hotels clean the room and change linens between guests? I have used them several times and found dirty glasses, candy wrappers, unclean underwear in drawers and traces of vomit in the bathtub.

I attribute that to the hotel, not to PL. The maids are unaware of how a guest books a room;) so how could that possibly matter?

I suppose if you book a two star or less there may be problems so research is key. I generally get the Grand Hyatt which does not have those types of problems IME over the years. Nor did the Roosevelt or others I have won. Never a bad experience in using them all in the US and Europe over the past 5-6 years, though sometimes are fab and others just OK.

FYI.... I just booked a room for January 26th through Hotwire at Park Central Hotel 3 star Midtown for $137.90 taxes and fees in......

FYI.... I just booked a room for January 26th through Hotwire at Park Central Hotel 3 star Midtown for $137.90 taxes and fees in......

I was there 3 weeks ago to meet a friend. Great location! They are undergoing a renovation but the room she had was still quite nice. It seemed to be affecting the lobby are only at this point.

Just FYI

Hotwire gave me a price that was $10.00 higher than what I could have booke directly through the hotel's website.

Cheers

General Max

Just came back from a girls trip to NYC last weekend. Hotels are pricey if you want "location location". But with the walking we did our feet thanked us for being in the middle of everything. We stayed at the Comfort Inn Midtown. About $200/nt, but may be cheaper when you go since we were there at the start of holiday shopping season. Hotel had small rooms since alot of the buildings in NYC are older, but it was CLEAN! (We actually laughed at the size of the room, but hey, how much time are you going to spend in the room?) Hotel was right on 46th st between Broadway and 5th Ave. 2 blocks from Rockefeller center, 5-6 blocks from Central Park.

Have Fun

The rate for the Comfort Inn on January 3, 2007 is $149 per night and jumps $20 on the following weekend.

Cheers

General Max

Hotel Pennsylvania - right across street from Penn Station/Madison Square Garden is reasonably priced -- about $150-$175 depending on day of the week -- perhaps 10 minute and $15 cab ride to Hudson River pier.

I had the Hotel Pennsylvania booked for my Sept/Oct cruise. Then the lawsuit over the bedbug bites hit the news, and I cancelled. Even if they have fumigated, I'd be afraid to try them. A bedbug infestation is very difficult to get rid of according to the articles on the Internet. You take enough of a chance booking an unknown hotel, with adding to that the known factor of bedbugs, so I cancelled my reservation and went to Hotel Edison. Good Luck!:eek:

I had the Hotel Pennsylvania booked for my Sept/Oct cruise. Then the lawsuit over the bedbug bites hit the news, and I cancelled. Even if they have fumigated, I'd be afraid to try them. A bedbug infestation is very difficult to get rid of according to the articles on the Internet. You take enough of a chance booking an unknown hotel, with adding to that the known factor of bedbugs, so I cancelled my reservation and went to Hotel Edison. Good Luck!:eek:

Nevermind...I had a question, but found the answer on page 24 :)

I've made the mistake of staying at Hotel Pennsylvania in the past - Never Again: What a dump!

Place looks like it hasn't been redone since the 50's - and the doors to the rooms look like door on my grandma's old Frigidaire?!?!

BTW - this is the 'Official' hotel of the National Dog Show at Madison Square Garden - the one that's on TV every Thanksgiving.

I'm booked into the Medford Plaza again, but got a concierge level room this time, so hopefully it will be a bit larger and nicer than the teeny standard room we had last time. The internet is free at that level, so I'll let you know when I get there...

;)

Brian; how have you been and where are you working now? Tell me more about the Noordam Inaugural Reunion cruise in January 2007

Cheers

General Max and Mrs Max

Brian; how have you been and where are you working now? Tell me more about the Noordam Inaugural Reunion cruise in January 2007

Cheers

General Max and Mrs Max

Gen--

Doing better here, thanks much.

:)

Recently (finally) started working for a small broker/dealer here in San Francisco - replacing someone who is retiring at the end of the year. I think they were a bit taken aback when I let them know on my 2nd day that I was leaving for two weeks in Jan (unpaid leave, of course) but Scotty insisted on buying my ticket a few months back so I couldn't very well back out!

Anyways, it's a rather large group of us on the Roll-Call - @ 80 people I think - including "LadyBird" & Susan and John from Delaware from the inaugural. RuthC and Adele (from the Spamdam cruise) just booked - practically last minute!

Rev Greg is staying at the same hotel w/ us (nowhere as glam as the Righa) and the night before we sail we're meeting w/ Joyce from the inaugural to dine w/ her and her friend Warren whom we met on the ill-fated Mercury cruise (he's sailing w/ us this time - his first HAL experience I believe?).

...Which leads me to the question for you: Which limo company did you engage for us when we did our excursion in Feb? I need to get big cars for us (and my luggage!) to the pier and to LaGuardia afterward....

bep_sf@yahoo.com

Wish you and Mrs Peggy were sailing w/ us again! (Did she tell you of the jacuzzi incident on the last day at sea? :eek: ;) ) Pls give her a big hug for me...

Hope you'll consider joining us on Eurodam in July '08 for the next inaugural...

Where can I find information on the Hotel Pennsylvania bedbug lawsuit?

Cheers

General Max

General Max,

I read it on Yahoo.com

I'm sure if you go there and do a search, many articles come up about it. It's been a number of months ago, but I made my reservations and about a week later I read it on the Internet, so it was enough to make me cancel my reservations and book elsewhere. I wasn't willing to take the chance, even though the price was good. I found Hotel Edison for $210 (including all taxes). We had a clean, good sized room within walking distance of theaters and Times Square and the hotel is Art Deco like Radio City Music Hall. Really had a great time there!:p

General Max,

I read it on Yahoo.com

I'm sure if you go there and do a search, many articles come up about it. It's been a number of months ago, but I made my reservations and about a week later I read it on the Internet, so it was enough to make me cancel my reservations and book elsewhere. I wasn't willing to take the chance, even though the price was good. I found Hotel Edison for $210 (including all taxes). We had a clean, good sized room within walking distance of theaters and Times Square and the hotel is Art Deco like Radio City Music Hall. Really had a great time there!:p

Thanks, agabbymama. I will certainly check it out.

Brian, the limo service that we used on February 21, 2006 for New York City was: http://www.carmellimo.com.

Yes, we would be interested in joining the group on the Eurodam in July, 2008. Has HAL released the inaugural itinery yet?

Cheers

General Max

Brian, the limo service that we used on February 21, 2006 for New York City was: www.carmellimo.com.

Yes, we would be interested in joining the group on the Eurodam in July, 2008. Has HAL released the inaugural itinery yet?

Cheers

General Max

Thanks for the info - they look to have the best rates for cars in Manhattan that I've seen!

The Eurodam inaugural itinerary is a 12 day Scandinavia/Russia cruise from Rotterdam to Copenhagen departing July 13, 2008 - there's more info on the Eurodam threads...

:)

Thanks, agabbymama. I will certainly check it out.

Brian, the limo service that we used on February 21, 2006 for New York City was: www.carmellimo.com.

Cheers

General Max

Thats an AWESOME company! I've been looking for a company like this for MONTHS!! Thanks! Right in time for me to book rides!!