Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pandora85345

Where to stay in New York, New York

Oh my God! I'm so totally excited right now...just because I was able to get this company booked at the "last hour" literally!

Alohapride, when we used Carmel Limo for our day in New York, they indicated that they preferred cash. Check with them to see if it is still their policy.

By the way, we were on Keauai when the earthquake struck the big island. We didnt even feel it there.

Cheers

General Max

Alohapride, when we used Carmel Limo for our day in New York, they indicated that they preferred cash. Check with them to see if it is still their policy.

By the way, we were on Keauai when the earthquake struck the big island. We didnt even feel it there.

Brian, thanks for the information on the Eurodam Inaugural. The date and itinery are intersesting to the point we will give it serious consideration.

Cheers

General Max

I would highly suggest a stay at the Waldorf=Astoria here on the east side of Manhattan. As a matter of fact, I am in the Waldorf on a break during an event I coordinating. Hotel is beautiful and in the center of so many great spots in NYC. In-house restaurants include The Bull and Bear, Oscar's, and Peacock Alley. Mr. K's, the best plated Chinese restaurant (For great dim sum, head to China Town and Flushing) in NYC is on the corner of Lexington on the north side of the Waldorf. ALL of the rooms in the Waldorf are beautifully appointed and the staff is intimately concerned for each guests needs.

I would try to dissuade you from the Hotel Pennsylvania; not a good experience at that *budget* hotel.

uncialman, I just checked the rates at the Waldorf Astoria for January 16, 2007 to January 20, 2007. The cheapest room with the "AAA" discount is $287 per night pre-paid and non-refundable. This would not be a good experience for my wallet.

Cheers

General Max

$287 is quite a good rate for the Waldorf=Astoria. If you go much lower than that for a hotel in Manhattan you will find yourself dealing with bed bugs, lack of security, and other such difficulties.

I do hope you find a hotel that meets all of your requirements.

Brian.....looks like a very good cruise for the Eurodam in 2008.

Day 0 Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Day 1 at Sea

Day 2 Oslo, Norway

Day 3 Arhus, Denmark

Day 4 Warnemunde, Germany

Day 5 At Sea

Day 6 Talinn, Estonia

Day 7 St. Petersburg, Russia (overnight)

Day 8 St. Petersburg, Russia

Day 9 Helsinki, Finland

Day 10 Stockholm, Sweden

Day 11 At Sea

Day 12 Copenhagen, Denmark

Cheers

General Max

Whatever else you do, you simply must see the Statue of Liberty. It's awe inspiring, and will be the highlight of the trip. We just saw it in November, and were amazed. Seeing this Landmark is better that a cruise, opera, or Hoedown.........

I think I was on this thread a million miles back and recommended the Waldorf. General, your wallet should be at parade rest and enjoy the stay there. It's beautiful hotel. The rate you quoted is great. If your wallet can spring for a bit more, the concierge floor is wonderful. Location is wonderful as well. Close to 5th avenue and Rockefeller Center. Not sure if the Christmas decs are still up but might be. We just loved our stay there and hope you do too!

HAL's price for the St. Regis is fairly reasonable (cheaper than what I paid in September). A classic hotel. They also have AAA discounts, and as a member of the Starwoods chain, you might get an upgrade.

The Statue of Liberty might be a bit cold of a trip this time of year. But the temps have been unseasonably warm.

The major Xmas decorarations will be down soon after New Year's. And they do turn the lights off the Rockefellar tree after 1 a.m.

NYC is just plain expensive. But it's so nice, they named it twice.

Hi:

We are from the NY area. Depending on fares, your best bet for flying is either Newark Liberty or Laguardia. If you do not want to do anything in NYC before the cruise, we suggest Newark as there are some decent hotels close to the airport and failry reasonable. You can check on line. If you want to stay in NYC, its expensive. We would suggest the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central 42nd Street. Less expensive are the Roosevelt or NY Helmsley in the same neighborhood. The ships leave from piers on the Hudson River around 48-49th streets. If you stay at the NYC Hotels, take a 10 minute taxi ride over. If you stay near Newark, we suggest that you go back to the airport and get a car service from there ( about $60-$75- not sure). Any more questions, please post.:)

Please name some decent hotels near airport in Newark.

There's a Marriott right on the airport property.

DO NOT stay at the Best Western just outside the airport. Or any of the hotels just outside the airport. My office was once next to the BW and we had a car stolen every day and always a fair share of robberies and killings.

You must understand how brazen this was because the DEA was in the office next to ours. Those guys carry guns.

The "On The Ave" hotel at Broadway and 77th Street and the Lucerne at Columbus Avenue and 79th Street are clean, secure, modern, comfotable and reasonably priced. These hotels are very close to our home and, on several occasions, we have used them to put up overflow guests. They are also only a 5 to 10 minute taxi ride away from the NYC Passenger Ship Terminal. The neighborhood is residential and very safe. It is also convenient to several subway and bus lines.

I am sure that Carmel prices are cheap. You can tell by the way their cars look. You will probably end up with a town car that's a few years old and dented. I see them driving all over NY. If you want top notch, use Camelot Limo.

I am sure that Carmel prices are cheap. You can tell by the way their cars look. You will probably end up with a town car that's a few years old and dented. I see them driving all over NY. If you want top notch, use Camelot Limo.

Yes, we figured this out the hard way. Never again!!

An excerpt from my "review"

"We had booked our airport transportation from LGA to Hotel Edison from Carmel. When I booked the deluxe sedan I told them we would have 2 pieces of luggage per person and our rolling carry-ons. Exactly what is allowed by the airlines (4 large cases and 2 carry-ons). When our driver arrived he told us in broken English that we was going to charge us extra because our carry-ons would not fit in his trunk (when in all actuality, I could have gotten everything in the trunk – he didn’t want it all to fit). When I asked how much extra he said, “Get in and we will call to find out.” When I pulled out my cell phone to ask EXACTLY what I would be charged extra this driver emptied our luggage into the middle of the street and drove off.

I told the person on the phone he was driving away, they told me he wasn’t, I told them I was watching him drive away at that very moment, they told me I would be charged $10 extra for the carry-on cases and a new driver would come. 30 min. later we were in a new car. With city traffic, we probably saved money over a taxi, but we immediately canceled our return reservations with this company. This new driver took us all the way to the east side of the city (When our hotel was on west 47th) and we sat in an hour of traffic. He spent the entire time complaining about traffic."

It really was a horrible experience. However, a friend of mine used them multiple times and has loved each time.

We stayed in mini suites at the Hotel Edison, and while the place need a face lift, I enjoyed my stay. We paid app. $230 / night. The beds were decent, and the location was to DIE for! West 47th between 8th and Broadway. Literally a few blocks away from everything. I would definately stay there again. After the fiasco with Carmel, we used the hotel shuttel to get us to LGA and it was great.

We used Carmel in February, 2006 and had no problem with them. They did tell us ahead of time that they wanted cash only. I did think this was odd.

Cheers

General Max

We used Carmel in February, 2006 and had no problem with them. They did tell us ahead of time that they wanted cash only. I did think this was odd.

Cheers

General Max

I wasn't told this, and I did pay with a credit card.

Maybe it was our hotel location, that Carmel wanted cash. But West 54th Street is in an upscale area. No problems there being out on the streets at night

They may be one of the services that has independent drivers with their own cars, some of whom may not want to take credit cards. That could be the cash reason.

I read earlier on this thread that people in NYC dress up and you want to have "nice" clothes so you don't look like a tourist. As a dweller of a subburb 1/2 hour from NYC, I have to say this is now so untrue. People don't even dress for the theater anymore. The city has become much more casual.Sophisticated, but casual.

As far as hotels in NYC, why wouldn't you stay on the west side near the theater district? It's close to the pier, safe, close to the theater and restaurants and you can walk around safely at night. Someone earlier suggested the Novitel which is a small boutique hotel in the theater district. I also like the Marriott at Times Square. It's a little jazzier and again, close to the theater.

Yes, we wore jeans for the 5 days we were in NYC in February, 2006. This included going to the theater and dinner at Del Frisco's next to the Fox Network.

Cheers

General Max

I read earlier on this thread that people in NYC dress up and you want to have "nice" clothes so you don't look like a tourist. As a dweller of a subburb 1/2 hour from NYC, I have to say this is now so untrue. People don't even dress for the theater anymore. The city has become much more casual.Sophisticated, but casual.

As far as hotels in NYC, why wouldn't you stay on the west side near the theater district? It's close to the pier, safe, close to the theater and restaurants and you can walk around safely at night. Someone earlier suggested the Novitel which is a small boutique hotel in the theater district. I also like the Marriott at Times Square. It's a little jazzier and again, close to the theater.

Some people still dress for the theater IMRE. It was quite nice in early December to see jeans in small minority at both shows I attended.

IMO, the theater district is truly an unappealing part of Manhattan. Chain restaurants, gaudy signs, sex shops, etc. just too in your face. As one who often travels there solo (I grew up 15 mins from the city) I prefer Murray Hill or Midtown for convenience, safety and personality.