Where to stay in New York, New York

pandora85345

Do the docks in New York City have a place to store luggage for several days? I can't find any info online.

Cheers

General Max

GM..... No, they don't. Have you tried contacting the HAL's Port Agent in NYC for possible help? You would have to ask HAL Customer Service who represents them.

Can anyone help me with the following scenario? By the way, I would love to explore NYC, but hubby likes no city. So, my whole idea here is simple in and out. We are driving from Virginia. I am not interested in parking at the pier, due to potential stress level of hubby. So, I have pretty much opted for a park and fly or a New Jersey hotel that offers free parking. I am having an awful time figuring out proximities, tolls, etc. Ideally we could find a hotel that offers free parking long term and shuttle to NY pier, I do not think there is one, yet at least. A lady posted about the Embassy Suites in New Jersey next to the bus station. Maybe that would be best, or an airport hotel offering

parking and taking a cab? To top it off, I would love a view of the ships. Am I dreaming?

Perrys; check with the Embassy Suites across the river from the docks. Their website indicates room for parking. Rates are $200 plus though. A taxi ride from there would be a lot cheaper than from the airport. Maybe $15 instead of $45 plus tolls.

Cheers

General Max

General,

You're not kidding. I just ran a check and the price (including tax) has just gone up over $300 for just 3 days. That's crazy. I'm going to have to call the Rihga and find out if the price they quoted when I made my reservation still stands, or will I have to pay this larger amount. If so, I'll be cancelling and looking elsewhere.

Sorry ... I'm not cheap but I REFUSE to pay for 3 days in a land based, non-inclusive, damn hotel what I would pay for a WEEK aboard a dam ship. From a quote of $219 per day to a new quote of $359 per day is NUTS.

General Max-

I contacted Holland America by email this past week with that question after looking all over the internet for information about the progress in construction of the Noordam. They sent me a polite reply with a copy of a vague news release from 7/11/05. I do not know how to insert it here but will forward the email to you if you like. I had also asked if there was a source I could use to keep up with its progress, pointing out to HAL that anticipation is about 50% of the fun in taking a maiden cruise.... Nothing was suggested. ?????? Odd, I think. It would seem that the cruise line would want to build excitement and encourage bookings. Maybe there really isn't a Noordam and we all will be surprised! Let us know if you find out anything. EBM

ejbmorr; your response makes me a little nervous. In the unlikely event of a delay in the inaugural sailing, we do have some flexibility on adjusting our dates into March or April. I would assume HAL would shift bookings on this cruise to a later date with some shipboard credit allowance.

Reverend Neal; let us know how you make out with the Rihga Royal. Try to get that $219 rate reduced to the AAA rate.

Cheers

General Max

Reverend Neal; let us know how you make out with the Rihga Royal. Try to get that $219 rate reduced to the AAA rate.

I would be "happy" (wiling to accept, because I had earlier) with $219. It's the $359 that they're current quoting that's nuts.

General Max- I am so glad you asked the question about the Noordam's progress. Hopefully it will bring a number of replies that refer us to all kinds of resources and photos of the ship as it moves along. Lets just wait and see. These folks on this board know EVERYTHING! We will too- soon, I hope! EBM

I emailed the Sales Coordinator for the RIHGA Royal Hotel -- whose name and e-mail was listed in the confirmation email I had received from them when I originally booked in June -- and asked about the increase in quoted cost. I gave her my confirmation number, listed the price I was quoted and the dates I was quoted for, and then asked if there would be an increase in my per-day cost.

14 minutes later the following arrived in my e-mail:

Good Afternoon Dr. Neal,

No, you have your confirmation number so you are all set at the rate that you booked it at. No need to worry, just because the rate goes up your reservation is still in tact at the amount that you originally made it for ( I checked on your reservation).

Thank you,

Rebecca

This is service of the very best sort: not just because it was a response in my favor, but also because it was (1) speedy, (2) courteous, (3) showed professional attention to detail. The quality of this response, from the administrative end of the Hotel, further increases my expectations that everything will be in tip-top shape at the Hotel when we arrive in February.

I emailed the Sales Coordinator for the RIHGA Royal Hotel -- whose name and e-mail was listed in the confirmation email I had received from them when I originally booked in June -- and asked about the increase in quoted cost. I gave her my confirmation number, listed the price I was quoted and the dates I was quoted for, and then asked if there would be an increase in my per-day cost.

14 minutes later the following arrived in my e-mail:

This is service of the very best sort: not just because it was a response in my favor, but also because it was (1) speedy, (2) courteous, (3) showed professional attention to detail. The quality of this response, from the administrative end of the Hotel, further increases my expectations that everything will be in tip-top shape at the Hotel when we arrive in February.

Reverend Neal; that certainly is good news. I will continue my reservation at the Rihga Royal based on their responsw. Thanks again.

Cheers

General Max

We are just back from our wonderful trip to New York, Boston, cruise on the Maasdam from Boston to Rotterdam, then on to Zurich for a few days, then Singapore for another 4 and then home.

We adored our time in New York. It is a wonderful, exciting city and we felt very safe the whole time we were there. We walked everywhere and used the subway. We arrived on the day that London was bombed - 7th July - and yet we did not feel at all unsafe.

Our hotel - the Sheraton Russell - was a lovely small boutique hotel - in a great position on Park Avenue at 37th Street in a quiet neigbourhood and yet was only two blocks from the Empire State Building.

We found some great small restaurants nearby and when we went to see "Chicago" we had a good meal at Becca, which was recommended on this board.

We felt that our stay in NYC and the two days we had in Boston were the highlight of our 5 weeks away.

If you have any questions ask away.

Jennie

=General Max]Brian, how are the rates at the Sofitel. We have an AAA rate of $208 US at the Rihga Royal Suites on 54th Street.

Cheers

General Max

General.... Although Brian seems to have had a pleasant experience with Sofitel, both experiences I have had with the chain (Sofitel - Miami) were not up to expectations. Therefore, I plan to keep the reservation with the Rihga.

Hello, Jennie (Aussie Gal). When I saw the thread was revived I reread it and found myself doing the calculations and realizing you must be back home. I was hoping you'd let us know how your trip was, and so you did. What did you do while in New York?

Carol Louise

Hi Carol Louise,

We did just about everything we could think of and more.

We went to the Rockerfeller Centre, the Lincoln Centre, went to the top of the Empire State Building on a beautiful clear day, we went to Canal Street and bought a couple of watches, went to Greenwich, walked over the Brooklyn Bridge and back, went to Central Park, visited Cohney Island, went to the Statue of Liberty and did the tour, went to Ellis Island (wonderful), went to Wall Street, Ground Zero, (very emotional) Trinity Church and the other small church close to Ground Zero, went to St. Patricks Cathedral, MOMA, Museum of Natural History, Metropolitan Museum of Art (fantastic), Macey's, Bloomingdales, Tiffany's, went to see "Chicago" and walked back to Park Avenue via Times Square (incredible). Went by bus to Harlem and literally just walked our feet off.

We used the subway, our closest was Grand Central Station which is so beautiful and we just loved being part of this great city. Not once did we feel threatened or scared.

Jennie

=General Max]Brian, how are the rates at the Sofitel. We have an AAA rate of $208 US at the Rihga Royal Suites on 54th Street.

Cheers

General Max

General.... Although Brian seems to have had a pleasant experience with Sofitel, both experiences I have had with the chain (Sofitel - Miami) were not up to expectations. Therefore, I plan to keep the reservation with the Rihga.

Calmseas, I didn'y know you also were staying at the Rihga Royal Suites. I knew that Reverend Neal and I had reservations there.

I also stayed two nights at the Sofitel in Miami about 3 years ago. I thought the hotel was OK but nothing really special. I remember that it was near the airport and that there was not that much around the hotel to go to.

Cheers

General Max

Priceline sometimes is helpful -- Pick a neighborhood and a quality level (avoid 1 star) and you MIGHT find a deal. Otherwise, you might find hotels in Soho or Lower Manhattan much cheaper than Times Square. I recommend staying away from Times Square. You will get a better feel for NYC by walking around in other neighborhoods and you will stumble on some great places, including great restaurants. In Times Square, you will find chain restaurants and businesses that are also located in large shopping malls all across America.

I recommend staying away from Times Square. You will get a better feel for NYC by walking around in other neighborhoods and you will stumble on some great places, including great restaurants. In Times Square, you will find chain restaurants and businesses that are also located in large shopping malls all across America.

Granted, and agreed. However, while it may not seem like much to a native New Yorker, every visitor to New York should see Times Square once in their lives ... if for no other reason than to be able to say "I've been there" when they see it on "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve."

Jennie,

I'm so glad to hear you had a good time--sounds like you really packed in a lot of activity. Maybe we passed each other without knowing it; I happen to work in one of the Rockefeller Center buildings and also went to MOMA a couple times last month.

Carol Louise

Archived