Canadian Currency Onboard Princess

lesliew

Can we us Canadian Currency to pay onboard account on Princess Diamond (in Asia)? Also, can we use it to exchange for local currency onboard?

Thx.

You are better off to bring USD from home. We use travelers cheques in USD and just give them to the pursers desk to pay our account. Do not let Princess convert your shipboard account to CDN, it will not be in your favor.

From a fellow countryman. While our "Canadian brand name" is known world wide our currency is virtually useless outside our borders. For the most part you would be just about as well off trying to use "Canadian Tire" money as our own currency! (Canadians know what that is) You might find a financial institution that would convert it into local currency but it's going to cost you if you can find one. I keep a US dollar account at my bank and whenever the exchange rate is favourable always add to it so I have American money readily available. Before a trip I always have the bank order in however many one dollar bills I think I will need for tipping and alike. They always have a sufficient quantity of larger bills on hand for the rest of my needs but ones are often in short supply.

"In God we trust... everyone else pays cash"

As noted, you can, but the exchange rate will generally be below par, especially if via an onboard ATM or exchange machine. Your best bet is to either pre-purchase from a local bank with a good rate (and remember you cannot sell it back for the same rate) or use ATMs in port. Use a transaction fee free credit card whenever possible for both rate and safety reasons.

(

Can we us Canadian Currency to pay onboard account on Princess Diamond (in Asia)? Also, can we use it to exchange for local currency onboard?

Thx.

Before a trip I always have the bank order in however many one dollar bills I think I will need for tipping and alike. They always have a sufficient quantity of larger bills on hand for the rest of my needs but ones are often in short supply.

No need to go out of the way to get a big supply of $1 bills. The Purser's desk can exchange a larger US$ currency note for $1 bills.

Thx.

Try "Continental Currency Exchange" to change your Canadian dollars to US. Their rates are less than banks and quicker.

There is one in Barrie at Georgian Mall and one at the Upper Canada Mall.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Speaking as a Canadian who took a cruise to Asia on Princess this year, you'll definitely want to have USD. You'll also want to bring some of the local currencies in places where you think you might do some shopping. You can order many of these via your local bank (which is what we did). For places like Vietnam, they have a very inflated currency and were absolutely thrilled to take USD for our purchases. (I verified this with a co-worker who is from there).

We brought our USD currency in travellers cheques so that we were not carrying a large amount of cash. Maybe it's just me but I'm not comfortable having more than $100 in cash.

Archived