*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

We'll see ..............

If you look at the Carnival Freedom repo vs Liberty OTS repo the price difference is remarkable, and it's Liberty that's too high.

As for regular schedules once here, likely too soon to tell.

It wasn't in our room, but it was sitting on every bar during our three days in port on the oil spill cruise in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were discussing the oil spill cruise with our waiter one night. He's been on Navigator for a long time, and he's not too thrilled with Galveston right now...I think the delays during February and March took their toll on some of the service staff, especially if they were serving some of the more upset/frustrated passengers. Anyway, he said that we wouldn't even have been allowed to bring our own wine to the dining room or any public area for consumption as long as we were still docked or in Texas waters. That surprised me, and seemed really over the top on the part of the state.

Should be interesting to see four FT ships sailing from Galveston soon. I suppose CCL figures they can sell enough high priced cabins to justify having three ships here.

I guess CCL has done their homework prior to making the decision. In 2015 Carnival Freedom will be sailing 4 and 5 day cruises. There must be a huge market for those.

Taking my first cruise out of Galveston on May 11 with my sister who lives in Ft. Worth. All I want to know is can I get a pina coloda as soon as I board?!

Looking forward to visiting Galveston the day before.

Taking my first cruise out of Galveston on May 11 with my sister who lives in Ft. Worth. All I want to know is can I get a pina coloda as soon as I board?!

Yes...no problems with a Pina Colada!

I guess CCL has done their homework prior to making the decision. In 2015 Carnival Freedom will be sailing 4 and 5 day cruises. There must be a huge market for those.

When I last looked, which was a long while ago, the four night over weekend cruises often were priced as much if not more than the five night and sometimes very close to the seven night price. Some five night were just under a hundred less than seven night and ultimately end up missing basically same amount of work.

The downside of four night cruises from here unlike say Miami area is only one port vs two down Florida way. Just depends the goal of the cruise.

I'm going on one night in a couple of weeks on NOTS and that's all about the ship. Maybe we can dock at an oil rig...lol. Really it'd be a great cruise to go DP open some of the level one doors and drop some fishing lines. Not gonna happen but it'd be the most stable offshore fishing platform around.

If the service was good, was it the food that was disappointing? Please elaborate.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. All 3 of us just felt something was off the whole trip. Food is subjective, but we all looked at each other and knew things had changed. I am afraid we were contrasting it to Norwegian much of the trip and sadly, they did not match up. It was way more than just food though.

Headed to Austin, have a great weekend everyone.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. All 3 of us just felt something was off the whole trip. Food is subjective, but we all looked at each other and knew things had changed. I am afraid we were contrasting it to Norwegian much of the trip and sadly, they did not match up. It was way more than just food though.

Headed to Austin, have a great weekend everyone.

totally totally off topic!!! my daughter is moving to Austin for a job any recommendations for areas to live or not to live? thanks!

My daughter works in Austin. She lives in Round Rock. Before buying in Round Rock. She lived in North Austin on Rundberg & her last apartment was on Metric Blvd. Both nice areas from what I remember

Joyce

Edited by reallyhooked

My daughter works in Austin. She lives in Round Rock. Before buying in Round Rock. She lived in North Austin on Rundberg & her last apartment was on Metric Blvd. Both nice areas from what I remember

Joyce

Thanks, Joyce!! It is pretty hard to apartment shop from Pennsylvania so we are taking all the advice we can!!

Susan

I'd vote for Westlake Hills but cost may be a constraint there. Last I looked at houses for sale there they had become very expensive. That said it'd be a function of where work is located...maybe West Bastrop so I'd be between ranch and work.

Thanks, Joyce!! It is pretty hard to apartment shop from Pennsylvania so we are taking all the advice we can!!

Susan

Joyce, don't know how to pm you, but I live in South Austin and thankfully work in S. Austin (Circle C Area) - very nice and becoming very desirable. Since traffic in Austin...well...is awful, that will determine where your daughter will want to live. Downtown is young and hip, but expensive with many new living options coming available and coming on-line. Lakeway is beautiful, but if she's working in - after about two weeks of the commute she may want to move back to PA! If she's a single gal, make sure you check the City of Austin and City PD website for crime stats, etc. for where she may live (that'll make you feel better) - Round Rock is in Williamson County if that's where she'll end up (growing, growing, growing) but glad to have some folks from PA here instead of CA (no offense Californians)!

Joyce, don't know how to pm you, but I live in South Austin and thankfully work in S. Austin (Circle C Area) - very nice and becoming very desirable. Since traffic in Austin...well...is awful, that will determine where your daughter will want to live. Downtown is young and hip, but expensive with many new living options coming available and coming on-line. Lakeway is beautiful, but if she's working in - after about two weeks of the commute she may want to move back to PA! If she's a single gal, make sure you check the City of Austin and City PD website for crime stats, etc. for where she may live (that'll make you feel better) - Round Rock is in Williamson County if that's where she'll end up (growing, growing, growing) but glad to have some folks from PA here instead of CA (no offense Californians)!

Thanks! I think her work will be on Stonehollow Road. Yes, she is a single young lady and is looking forward to warmth instead if all the snow we have had this year. We will check out the areas you have mentioned.

I'd vote for Westlake Hills but cost may be a constraint there. Last I looked at houses for sale there they had become very expensive. That said it'd be a function of where work is located...maybe West Bastrop so I'd be between ranch and work.

Real estate prices in Austin have skyrocketed!

. Really it'd be a great cruise to go DP open some of the level one doors and drop some fishing lines. Not gonna happen but it'd be the most stable offshore fishing platform around.

I found great fishing near rigs, about dawn.:D

Real estate prices in Austin have skyrocketed!

Yeah. We were looking there a couple years back but got things set where we didn't have to move.

Now just considering moving closer to DeBakey or combo of there and Galveston.

As long as you order a pina colada you're good to go; however, if you specific having your pina colada made with a top end rum you'd have a problem. ;)

On the 23-30 March "almost ultimate cruise to no where" at dinner I asked for a glass of red wine knowing the selection would be minimal. However, the waiter brought me the wine list and assisted me in a selection. Of course a few minutes later he was back to tell me I could only have the house wine. Considering I'd already over head this from two tables around our table I was mildly amused. :rolleyes:

As Texas isn't going to change their taxation for the cruise lines, and in turn, the cruise lines aren't going to spend the additional money they just need to make this policy known. All in all though it's not a big deal as you're normally out to sea on time.

Yeah. We were looking there a couple years back but got things set where we didn't have to move.

Now just considering moving closer to DeBakey or combo of there and Galveston.

You could always get a condo in mid-town or buy in Pearland if you want to be close to DeBakey. I bet your DD is very excited about going to school there!

You could always get a condo in mid-town or buy in Pearland if you want to be close to DeBakey. I bet your DD is very excited about going to school there!

Condos in each Med center area and on Galveston are possibilities or house on Tiki and condo in MedCenter. Or build at ranch and condos in Galveston and MedCenter. Probably spit the cats up where MS type A will be alone or just with her brother. Two places to split time is most logical but house at ranch would be really nice now, finally.

Condos in each Med center area and on Galveston are possibilities or house on Tiki and condo in MedCenter. Or build at ranch and condos in Galveston and MedCenter. Probably spit the cats up where MS type A will be alone or just with her brother. Two places to split time is most logical but house at ranch would be really nice now, finally.

Big decisions to make!

Royal has a long standing contract with a Miami based beverage distributor. When they are in port, or within 12 miles of the Coast, they serve alcohol purchased in Texas, which is liable for taxation. The other end of the cruise, Texas only taxes residents for duty free purchases.

So, on sailing day, the stuff you drink is Texas based and purchased, so the sales tax gets added. Not that big a deal, except the selection is limited

I am very used to the "selection is limited" statement, my wife syas that a lot when asked why we got married.

Edited by TEXASMUNK

Royal has a long standing contract with a Miami based beverage distributor. When they are in port, or within 12 miles of the Coast, they serve alcohol purchased in Texas, which is liable for taxation. The other end of the cruise, Texas only taxes residents for duty free purchases.

So, on sailing day, the stuff you drink is Texas based and purchased, so the sales tax gets added. Not that big a deal, except the selection is limited

I am very used to the "selection is limited" statement, my wife syas that a lot when asked why we got married.

Probably only three miles as federal waters are three to twelve, which creates issues for some fisheries as well. The booze laws could use some updating here in the Lone Star State. If would be nice to see local breweries be able to retail on premises like they can up in Washington for example.