Adventurous eater needs suggestions

avatheps

A large part of my first cruise is going to center around food. I have found tons of info here on CC about on board dining, but little about local food in the various ports. My DW and I would like to experience foods like Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern try on their TV shows. This does not mean high end chef cooked food, but mystery meat on a stick and other off the beaten track goodies. Are there any of you out there with experience in this area that can offer opinions? We are interested in Eastern Caribbean ports at this time. Thanks to all.;)

A large part of my first cruise is going to center around food. I have found tons of info here on CC about on board dining, but little about local food in the various ports. My DW and I would like to experience foods like Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern try on their TV shows. This does not mean high end chef cooked food, but mystery meat on a stick and other off the beaten track goodies. Are there any of you out there with experience in this area that can offer opinions? We are interested in Eastern Caribbean ports at this time. Thanks to all.;)

I would suggest you start doing the research on the Ports of Call boards. Pose this question there.

You may be hard pressed to find info. Most people tend to keep it safe when in port and stay near the ship for eating. In my case, unless its a snack at the time, I don't eat in port, as I've already paid for the food on the ship. I usually plan to be back on board at eating times.

grab a Frommer's guide or a Conde Naste guide.

also ask the crew for recommendations as they often end up in the same ports every week for months on end.

but like was already stated, be careful. standards of cleanliness are not always as high as they are in the US. Like a PP we pretty much never eat on shore( let alone drink) as we have plenty of free options waiting for us on the ship. when we did end up having lunch in Bermuda one day.. we followed the business men to a sandwich shop in one of the shopping centers.

I have dined frequently in Mexico and Southeast Asia and have found that I have not had any problems. I tend to stick to cooked foods tho and never partake of local water. Drink only local alcohol drinks and Montezuma's revenge should not strike.;)

I second the Frommer Guide suggestion. I do not seek food when I visit a new Port of Call but I am a beer guy and like to get a tast of the local beers that are available. I get to the main city/shopping area and find a local bar. If they have some of the regionally brewed beers I will take a seat and enjoy. I have sampled some very good (and some not so) beers across the Caribbean and Mexico. Enjoy.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

You may have better luck on the ports of call boards, or the sister site, TripAdvisor. Asking the crew is another good option.

Many cruisers are rather safe eaters. I know every time I've tried something local I had at least 1 rum punch for courage. lol

Have you checked out the websites for the TV shows you mentioned? You may even want to e-mail them for recommendations; I bet there's a PA out there who will answer you.

Look to see if Andrew Zimmerman or Anthony Bourdain have visited some of the standard ports. Here's a start:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/anthony-bourdain/episodes

Some notable places in the Caribbean:

The "Fish Fry" area of the Bahamas (Nassau)

French St. Martin (Marigot area) has several "lolos" that have been visited by Anthony Bourdain, Alton Brown, and Bobby Flay for episodes. And a lovely pastry place called Sarafinas.

Most stops will have some real "hidden gems" if you pick an itinerary and do some searching on Tripadvisor and such.

I am the same way. google is your friend as you can find various sites with different ideas on what to see/eat/drink. In fact I have a spreadsheet going for my next cruise on what local food to try, what souvineer they are known for, places of interest, and works that might be nice to know. It all just depends on how much planning and research you want to do.

I will suggest bring some sort of calming medicine for your stomach/bowels because you never know what might make you sick. For the most part I've been ok but for some reason what I ate in Roatan (rice, beans, shrimp, and plantains - normal foods I eat) made me sick and I missed dinner and almost the next day which would have not been cool. Luckily I did remember to pack some strong medicine.

:)I had not thought of that. I will add some Immodium to my packing list. I like the spreadsheet idea also.

I am having my friend do the spreadsheet thing too since she cruises and goes to different ports. It gives you an idea on what to look out for.

Not sure which eastern Carib ports you are visiting but my experience is they like caribbean jerk seasoning, plaintains (either chips or fried), rice and beans. Nothing too far out there but still a little different.

When I travel I always use the philosophy that if the tourist's go right, I head left. Did it last year in Greece and Turkey and found some marvelous people and food. Some of the ports are relatively small so getting adventuresome is sometimes difficult though.

I've never had stomach problems (knock on wood) but as mentioned you never know. Go to the port sections on CC or just go to the port city's website and do some perusing. Seems like they all have them.

Chowhound is a food message board - here is a link to the Caribbean discussion board. Once you know your ports you will be able to get better advice: http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/88

If you end up in Cozumel I highly recommend booking an excursion with Cozumel Chef: http://www.cozumelchef.com/

Archived