Sailing the Leeward Islands Jan 5th 2013

2bamboo

• 2 weeks later...

We are supposed to be on board with a rather large group, however, most of our group has been very negatively effected by Sandy. My husband and myself lost two restaurants, completely deystroyed! We are trying to rebuild but are no longer earning any income and are not positive that we will still be able to go on this awesome trip.:confused: Hopefully we will see you on board!

Shorebilly, I am so sorry for your loss and hardship. Our hearts, and Red Cross donations, go out to you. Unimaginable devastation. Perhaps if you can make it happen, the vacation will be a wonderful break from reality where you can refresh and rebuild your strength and determination before heading back to rebuild your surroundings. I hope that you make it onboard. Keep us posted with your progress. How large is your group?

Our travel agent put the group together and her office was in Bay Head. Originally the group was about 60 people, I do not know how many people she still has going, most of her clientele were from the Bay Head, Mantalooking area and both got hit very hard. I do know friends of ours from California are still in, and so far I think we will at least do the cruise portion of our trip. Originally we were scheduled to arrive in St. Maarten on 1/1 and depart on 1/17, do not know how much we will have to adjust, this was supposed to be our dream vacation!:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Shorebilly....how's the recovery doing? Sure hope you are figuring out how to take this trip. It looks like you have not sailed with Star Clippers before. Do you have any questions? We are repeat sailors!

I actually am starting to get very excited about this and yes, we are able to make the whole trip, Thank God everything was paid for back in August! We are down to the studs at both restaurants and the recovery is going to be longer than we expected, we may actually walk away from the stores, we rebuilt after Irene and didn't even get a full year in before Sandy, so not sure if I want to continue at these locations. We have opened a new location (a dry one) two weeks ago and it is doing quite well! As far as questions, I would love to know where we dock or tender on each of the islands, and about how long we have on each island. It is my understanding that as a saling ship the times are more varied than on a traditional cruise. I am really looking forward to the relaxed vibe on this ship, no tuxedos, no gowns!!!! Yeah! Love the feel of the water so I think this is going to become a habit:) Only 8 more days till we get to SXM!:D

I actually am starting to get very excited about this and yes, we are able to make the whole trip, Thank God everything was paid for back in August! ...

As far as questions, I would love to know where we dock or tender on each of the islands, and about how long we have on each island. It is my understanding that as a saling ship the times are more varied than on a traditional cruise. I am really looking forward to the relaxed vibe on this ship, no tuxedos, no gowns!!!! Yeah! Love the feel of the water so I think this is going to become a habit:) Only 8 more days till we get to SXM!:D

Hi Karen,

We sailed aboard Royal and did the Windward itinerary. Both Windward and Leeward itineraries overlap and the basic port experiences should be similar. Sailing aboard a Star Clippers ship is all about the shipboard experience. Activities ashore are kinda secondary. As big ship cruisers, this through us for a loop at first.

You can expect each port to offer the same basic experience.

If you anchor, they will have tender service to a beach location where the “Sports Team” will support you with a host of water activities. They will also have tender service to a dock at the city you are anchored off.

If you dock, they will have tender service to the beach location or you can explore the port city.

It is a rare occasion that a Star Clipper ship arrives where the big cruise ships dock. Do not expect to have any of the typical cruise passenger tourist support infrastructure when you come ashore.

We arrived at each destination island mid to late morning. Last tenders typically returned passengers at either 4:30 or 5 PM. Based on a review of the current shore excursion booklet for Star Clipper and my daily ship’s paper from Royal, here is my best guess for you cruise.

Nevis – Cruise ships dock in Charlestown harbor; all but the smallest ships bring passengers in by tender to the central downtown ferry dock. The pier leads smack onto Main Street, with shops and restaurants steps away. Taxi drivers often greet tenders, and there's also a stand a block away. Fares are fairly expensive, but a three-hour driving tour of Nevis costs about $80 for up to four people. Several restored greathouse plantation inns are known for their lunches; your driver can provide information and arrange drop-off and pickup. Before setting off in a taxi, be sure to clarify whether the rate quoted is in E.C. or U.S. dollars.

Dominica - Dominica has three cruise ship ports that can each handle one ship at a time. The most frequented is the Roseau cruise ship berth in the heart of Roseau, the country's capital and largest town. The Woodbridge Bay Port is about a mile north of Roseau, and the other is the Cabrits cruise berth, near the northwestern town of Portsmouth, with a tourist welcome center and quick access to Fort Shirley and Cabrits National Park. The excursion booklet indicates you will be at Portsmouth.

Terre-de-Haut, Illes des Saintes – This is a tender port. Cute little island with a cute little town. No ship’s excursions offered here.

Guadeloupe – The shore excursion booklet implies that you will be at the port city of Deshaies on the northwest corner of the island. This is a regular stop for the Seabourn cruise line so it looks like you may dock.

Antigua – You will anchor in Falmouth Harbor. The shore tender dropped us off at a dock that was a short walk from the famous Nelson’s Dockyard.

Gustavia, St. Barts – This is another port that is a frequent stop for the Seabourn cruise line so it looks like you may dock.

When we sailed aboard Royal, our Cruise Director didn’t really provide a whole lot of information about what we might encounter ashore if we headed out on our own. If you have time to do the research, I suggest you find out what there is to see and do at each port.

Enjoy!

Last year we did the Treasure Island loop and we met several wonderful couples who were continuing on to the Leeward Islands. Here are my notes on the ports according to them....

Nevis- a small island off of St Kitts, sometimes connected by a sand spit. Many of the shops are closed on Sunday, which is when we will be there (You'd think they'd learn). According to friends the Rainforest excursion was not all it was cracked up to be, no monkeys and a well worn trail. We are going to try the "Flavors" tour. Multiple stops at landmarks and each one serves you their signature drink. Sounds like it gets even better as you go along! (Don't you go over book this with your group of 60!!)

Dominica- the ship might actually dock here in Cabrits if there is room. There is supposedly fabulous snorkeling available right off the dock.

Iles de Saints- anchors at Terra de Haut. Cute town with more authentic type crafts and such. No mass tourism here. Famously beautiful palm tree lined beach on other side of island, a hearty walk for the strong.

Guadeloupe- Basse Terre. Lots of great beaches, flower market, a busy "city". We are thinking of the Zodiac Tour.

Antigua- Falmouth Harbor. Being sailors ourselves we will probably spend the whole time at Nelson's Dockyard and museum. Well, my husband will be there the whole time, I might wander aimlessly about.

St Barts- We stopped here last year. A big long line of impressively huge yachts and a lot of over priced designer stores. Walk to the right of the dock, past the mega yachts to Shell Beach which is actually made of shells. It has a nice bar and live music, sometimes. For the more adventurous, take a Taxi to Saline Beach on the other side of the island where clothing is optional....while in France....and there is no shade so bring your sunscreen and tell your Taxi driver when to pick you up, it's remote, although there is a cute little restaurant at the head of the beach trail.

So happy to hear that you are able to make the trip!!

Oh, about times.....the general practice is to wait until sunrise then sail in to the next port, beautifully dramatic. As we eat breakfast they deal with customs and we are off the ship mid morning. They want you back on board usually around 4:00-5:30 unless it's a short sail to the next island, in that case you can enjoy the nightlife on shore. Tenders run back and forth the whole time so you can eat lunch etc on the ship. They have flyers, just like the big ships, that tell you about the next day and what the timing will be...supposedly....things change...no worries:cool:

Archived