Feelin' kinda "meh" right now

K.T.B.

I dont think we should attack the OP for this post, people are raising all kinds of questions on cruise critic that could be deemed trivial in the grander scheme of life, but i do think it is a shame not to be excited by a cruise, lets hope that its a case of when you are not looking forward to something it turns out to be an unexpectedly good experience!

My husband is like this, but for different reasons. He just doesn't like to plan ahead, or think about something until he ready to do it. So, he will help me decide where we are going, answer questions about preferences, but he doesn't get revved up about the cruise until about 2 days before.

I have to literally duck-walk him into the closet to pick out the clothes he wants to take.

When he gets really pill-ish about it, I just tell him cheerfully that I'll invite my bff; it will only cost me half the money! :D That's when I REALLY get his attention....ha

My wife and I have a cruise in about 3 months' time, but for some reason I just cannot get excited by it. I think the last cruise I took pretty much killed my enthusiasm for cruising. There was some negative things that happened, none of which was the cruiseline's fault, that have me more than a tad wary. And then I keep seeing negative or less than positive reviews of Summit, so that just further deepens it. (Yes, there have been some positive ones, but then you see the comments that follow...)

As much as I'm looking forward to visiting places we've never been to before, part of me just has extremely lowered expectations. Plus with the whole new experience of a totally different line does not help.

When we booked it, I was all gung-ho and wanted to go "now!". Not so much any more. Talk me off the "cruiseline cliff", will you??

I think you've already set your tone for this upcoming cruise. I was on the Summit last March and it was wonderful. Not a single complaint and I've been on over 30+ cruises so I have a lot to compare the Summit to. I don't know what your specific expectations are for this cruise. Good weather, good food, good entertainment, good service, etc?? I always take a lot of the bad reviews here in Cruisecritic with a grain of salt. Reviews are way too subjective. It's sort of like movie reviews...everyone has their own tastes and expectations and sometimes people have very specific problems/issues that you may not experience like a non working toilet or bad cabin steward, etc. The way I look at it you got two options....go with an open mind keeping your expectations real (or) cancel and do something else like a land package. For me I'm just blessed to be able to afford any cruise. Many of my friends simply don't have the funds to do something so extravagant. Yes, a cruise is an extravagant luxury.

The OP has stated that he's going away from the Board so he probably won't read our comments. I've always found most posters try to be positive and give encouragement to those who appear to need it. However, there are times when the best advice might just be to "stay home". This might be one of those cases. The OP was bothered by some unspecified things on his last cruise that were beyond the control of the cruiseline. He appears to have a negative feeling about the Summit. His answers to posts appear to me to indicate someone who might not react well to difficult situations. Honestly, how many of us ran into someone who was just not happy to be there? Could possibly have a negative impact on other passengers. It would be easy for him to cancel if he is not beyond final payment date. Could always rebook if attitude changes, or take another cruise. Or, he could just decide to stay home. Only he knows what he should do and I hope he makes the best decision. I wish him a great cruise if he decides to go.

I guess reading the original post it just kind of hit me the wrong way at the wrong time. Thinking of all the problems that everyone has now, I responded to what Navyrotorhead said and at the time it seemed reasonable to point out that complaining about a cruise that you haven't even taken yet seemed a little self indulgent.

There are a lot of people who come to the boards looking for reassurance, and I always try to encourage them but I agree with Orator that if someone is that unsure about something, maybe it is best to just not go. If someone is looking for problems, they will probably manage to find some.

Of course I would only wish the best for the OP in whatever decision he makes.

The OP has stated that he's going away from the Board so he probably won't read our comments. I've always found most posters try to be positive and give encouragement to those who appear to need it. However, there are times when the best advice might just be to "stay home". This might be one of those cases. The OP was bothered by some unspecified things on his last cruise that were beyond the control of the cruiseline. He appears to have a negative feeling about the Summit. His answers to posts appear to me to indicate someone who might not react well to difficult situations. Honestly, how many of us ran into someone who was just not happy to be there? Could possibly have a negative impact on other passengers. It would be easy for him to cancel if he is not beyond final payment date. Could always rebook if attitude changes, or take another cruise. Or, he could just decide to stay home. Only he knows what he should do and I hope he makes the best decision. I wish him a great cruise if he decides to go.

Very well said

Attitude-is-everything.jpg

My wife and I have a cruise in about 3 months' time, but for some reason I just cannot get excited by it.

When we booked it, I was all gung-ho and wanted to go "now!". Not so much any more. Talk me off the "cruiseline cliff", will you??

Kevin, I have the perfect solution for you - let me go in your place!

I can assure you that I would be more than happy to be as excited as a dog with two tails for you. Just think about it, you could just sit back at home and let someone else do all the 'whooping' and cheering as the sailing day gets nearer and nearer. There would be no packing, no standing in queues for boarding, no having to eat all the food, no getting on tenders, no having to watch boring shows, etc. etc. I could do all of that FOR you!

And when I get back I would be more than happy to write you a review of the cruise to let you know what you have missed. Then you could feel very jealous and ready to book a cruise you ARE going to get excited about.

Failing that, maybe you should cancel it and do something else! ;)

You are the first time on a celebrity ship. We have been on Carnival too and will not go there ever again. Not such a great cruise experience. We have been on the Constellation in January and we loved it totally. We enjoyed every minute of it. We will be on the Century in January again. We love Celebrity and love being on cruises. Have done several Royal Carribean ones and you can say these were great too, but we sure love to sail with Celebrity more. I am sure you will love the cruise and you will totally enjoy yourself. Nothing is perfect but I can say any time I would cruise again with Celebrity. :)

We have never had a perfect or cruise or vacation--- all have been very good to great, but not perfect. My advice is to phrase your question a different way, and maybe start a thread like "What Can I Look Forward To on my Summit cruise?" We have sailed Summit to Bermuda and thought it was a lovely ship with friendly crew, more personal and manageable than the bigger ships. Many cruisers love her and hopefully their enthusiasm will shine through and help you get excited.

Archived