CCL announces special dividend

Salacia

Fellow CCL stockholders might be interested in this:

MIAMI, Nov. 16, 2012 -- /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Carnival Corporation & pcl (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) has announced that the board of directors declared a special dividend of $0.50 per share, which is in addition to its previously announced regular quarterly dividend of $0.25 per share already scheduled to be paid December 14, 2012. For the special dividend, the board approved a payment date of December 28, 2012 based on a record date of December 7, 2012...quoted from http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/16/4991006/carnival-corporation-plc-declares.html

Fellow CCL stockholders might be interested in this:

MIAMI, Nov. 16, 2012 -- /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Carnival Corporation & pcl (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) has announced that the board of directors declared a special dividend of $0.50 per share, which is in addition to its previously announced regular quarterly dividend of $0.25 per share already scheduled to be paid December 14, 2012. For the special dividend, the board approved a payment date of December 28, 2012 based on a record date of December 7, 2012...quoted from http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/16/4991006/carnival-corporation-plc-declares.html

Thank you for posting this information:D

Frankly, I have mixed feelings about this "special dividend". The CCL Board of Directors approved this dividend, and obviously, as larger stockholders they benifit most, especially Mr. Arison who I believe owns approximately 40% of CCL stock. (As any other stockholder, I also benefited, but to a lesser degree since my shares are minimal).

But I am also a passenger on two or three cruises per year, most often on Cunard ships. I have seen the effects of cost cutting measures; especially evident are reduced staff and services. If Mr. Arison were to ask me, I would tell him to put the money back into ships services rather than spending it on an extra dividend.This extra dividend

lines the pockets of the largest stockholders [Mr. Arison and board members], while bleeding the corporation dry.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion, but I'd rather see a moderation of cost cutting measures when there is a surplus, as opposed to a glorious $50 extra dividend on my 100 shares of CCL stock.

Salacia

Disclosure:

CCL stockholder

Cunard WC Platinum

HAL 2 star Mariner

Princess Gold

Pretty amazing to see whiners whining about getting an extra dividend in addition to a normal dividend and a shipboard credit to boot

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

If you take enough voyages, you will know where the money comes from to fund that extra dividend.

To some it might be whining, to others it might be simply logic: keep cutting costs by reducing staff and services, and before you know it, there is a whole new cut-rate product. Of course, there will always be takers - everyone loves a bargain, right? Cheers, -S

If you take enough voyages, you will know where the money comes from to fund that extra dividend.

To some it might be whining, to others it might be simply logic: keep cutting costs by reducing staff and services, and before you know it, there is a whole new cut-rate product. Of course, there will always be takers - everyone loves a bargain, right? Cheers, -S

No, my friend, it's whining.

And I've been on "enough" voyages to know

Just say Thank You for the extra dividend and enjoy your next voyage

Tata and tallyhi:):):)

No, my friend, it's whining.

And I've been on "enough" voyages to know

Just say Thank You for the extra dividend and enjoy your next voyage

Tata and tallyhi:):):)

No, I won't say "Thank you for the extra dividend" simply because I do not believe the Board of Directors made the right decision, but thank you ever so much for telling me what I should say. Cheers, -S.

No, I won't say "Thank you for the extra dividend" simply because I do not believe the Board of Directors made the right decision, but thank you ever so much for telling me what I should say. Cheers, -S.

Do the right thing then and send them back the money.

And then you can continue happily enjoying walking with your brolly open in the bright sunshine

I have mixed feelings about this. I do appreciate the extra dividend. First time that has happened and I have owned CCL stock for many years. But, I also feel as does Salacia that the money, or at least some of it, could be used to improve the ship board product and eliminate what some see as the increase in nickel and diming that is going on.

At least on HAL, there have been reductions in areas that matter and that are visible to the guest.

At least on HAL, there have been reductions in areas that matter and that are visible to the guest.

The bottom line is that cuts (or fare increases if the economy ever improves) will continue to be made until the company is reaching its ROI target or the passengers start going elsewhere. For those who are unhappy with the current offering there are many alternatives.

I suspect that the recent election (and subsequent ramifications) have a lot to do with this action. As doncarlos alluded to I suspect we will see many profit oriented companies engaging in behavior that minimizes the future tax burden for its stakeholders.

Archived