Carnival Shuttle services and Galveston

daijayx2

Okay all I have a few ??'s for anyone who has used Carnival's shuttle service from the airport. I am flying in the day before my sailing on the Magic. I have booked Carnival's shuttle service round trip from HOU (Hobby) airport. What time should we leave our hotel and head to Hobby to get on the shuttle?

Is there only one shuttle for the entire day?

If not what is the earliest they will leave Hobby heading to Galveston?

Our flights retuning home depart Hobby at 5:00 pm so I know that will be enough time to make it back.

Now on returning to Hobby what is the Latest shuttle to leave the ship? Is there a certain time you have to be on the shuttle by? Any extra info or tips would be great. This is my first time flying or using the shuttle services. I have already prepaid for my hotel in Houston for the night before and also I have already paid for the transfers from Carnival. So booking a private shuttle, and staying in Gal is out of the question. I have asked this question on the Ports thread and never received any replies. Thanks in advance.

We are doing the exact same thing for our December Magic cruise. We plan on heading back to the airport around 9AM or so on Sunday (the day of our cruise embarkation). I never could get an answer as to how early the Carnival buses begin running either. I think someone told me that if you get there around 9AM you may have to wait a little bit but not long before you can board the bus. I usually don't use cruise line transportation, but it's far cheaper to use CCL's in Houston/Galveston than to go private.

We are doing the exact same thing for our December Magic cruise. We plan on heading back to the airport around 9AM or so on Sunday (the day of our cruise embarkation). I never could get an answer as to how early the Carnival buses begin running either. I think someone told me that if you get there around 9AM you may have to wait a little bit but not long before you can board the bus. I usually don't use cruise line transportation, but it's far cheaper to use CCL's in Houston/Galveston than to go private.

Thank you for the help. I guess we will probably head back to the airport around 930 or so to try to get an early shuttle to the port.

I have always drove and parked at the port so this will all be a first for me.

Thanks again.

Melissa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which airport hotel are you staying at? We are probably going to stay at the Comfort Suites. We're from Little Rock. Most people from our area drive to the Galveston port, but the air fare on SW was so cheap we couldn't pass it up. Plus we HATE driving!

Which airport hotel are you staying at? We are probably going to stay at the Comfort Suites. We're from Little Rock. Most people from our area drive to the Galveston port, but the air fare on SW was so cheap we couldn't pass it up. Plus we HATE driving!

We are from fort smith, hi neighbor! We have drove down to Galveston once for our Triumph cruise but just as you said the airfare on southwest to hobby was such a great deal. It was less then driving! We are booked at a Days Inn, Tripadvisor had excellent reviews on this little place so I am hoping I didn't pick a bad one.

We will be driving to little rock on Friday and staying over night there, then flying out Saturday morning to Houston.

The hotel includes airport shuttle and breakfast. I have prepaid so there is no backing out now for us.

Melissa

How much is the shuttle cost RT to the port from Hobby? And does the shuttle also go to the other airport in Houston? And, how long of a ride is it?

The shuttle from hobby is 30pp per way. So 60pp RT. I believe the shuttle from the Houston international airport is 40pp per way. It's about 45 min to an hour drive.

Melissa

1 hour drive from Hobby 41 miles

1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from IAH 70 miles

If you do not hit any traffic, and we always have traffic & construction.

$60 RT for Hobby is a great price and $80 Rt for IAH is even better since it is so much further north. A taxi would cost $170 plus tip to IAH.

I am confused as to why Galveston is such a popular port when the airport is such a long distance away. I understand that other cruise lines, besides Carnival, also use this port. Question, I did read somewhere that there is another port being built in the area? Perhaps closer to the airport? Forgive me, I don't know the area of the gulf coast very well.

I've researched a few cruises over the past couple of years that seemed interesting enough but I always find the airfare much higher. Why are flights from SFO to Houston twice the fare than SFO to Miami or Ft Lauderdale when the distance is less?

I do understand that many people who chose this port also drive to it but this is not an option for us. Why is the airfare so much higher than to other nearby ports?

1 hour drive from Hobby 41 miles

1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from IAH 70 miles

If you do not hit any traffic, and we always have traffic & construction.

$60 RT for Hobby is a great price and $80 Rt for IAH is even better since it is so much further north. A taxi would cost $170 plus tip to IAH.

Do you find that your flights out of either airport are generally higher than flights say, out of DFW? I did read a while back that the Houston airports have a higher tax rate for flights. Perhaps that is why I am finding all flights into the Houston airports are so much higher than most other international airports in the states.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am simply trying to find a reason to justify cruising out of Houston/Galveston.

I did read somewhere that there is another port being built in the area? Perhaps closer to the airport? Forgive me, I don't know the area of the gulf coast very well.

You're thinking of the Bayport cruise terminal which is operated by the Port of Houston. It's already built and ready to go. It was completed a few years ago, but except for being used as an emergency port by CCL after Hurricane Ike, it was never able to land a contract with any cruise line. Until now. It was just announced this week that Princess and NCL will sail out of there starting with the 2013-14 season.

It's just south-east of Houston and the distance from both airports will be much less than going all the way to Galveston.

http://www.portofhouston.com/about-us/bayport-cruise-terminal/

ETA: There is a link on the website to a map showing the location of the cruise terminal and both airports.

Archived