Bit of a blog - Adventure of the Seas – B2B in the Caribbean – 18th November 2012

Hi everyone, it’s been a while.

Off on my travels again. Hopefully I will be able to post an entry daily and, connection permitting, upload pics.

Here’s the itinerary for week one (UK date style) :

18/11 San Juan, Puerto Rico

19/11 St Croix, USVI

20/11 Phillipsburg, St Maarten

21/11 St John’s, Antigua

22/11 Castries, St Lucia Thanksgiving

23/11 Bridgetown, Barbados

24/11 At sea

25/11 San Juan, Puerto Rico

Week1.jpg

And for week two :

25/11 San Juan, Puerto Rico

26/11 Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas

27/11 Basseterre, St Kitts

28/11 At sea

29/11 Oranjestad, Aruba

30/11 Willemstad, Curacao

1/12 At sea

2/12 San Juan; disembark and fly back to the UK

Week2.jpg

A bit about me. I am 61, mother to 3 daughters and Oma to one adorable grandson. I have mild mobility issues following hip revision surgery in 2010; just means I have to pace myself. I am also Gluten Intolerant so have noted that on my booking (through my TA) and also emailed Special Needs as a back up. Not a terrific experience last year on Navigator where meals were concerned so will see how this trip goes. I’ve heard the new menus start this trip and am looking forward to that a lot. May also give the glass of wine package a go. As I am preparing this blog the news has been announced that 2 bottles of wine can be brought on board. I’m more likely to be bringing on some cans of Caffeine Free Diet Coke and / or water.

Travelling solo though not alone. Last year I met some people on the roll call and we have become friends for life! They live in the US so we have spent the last year or so chatting on Facebook and planning this adventure on Adventure. None of us have experienced a B2B before but the cost saving in hitting the itineraries in one shot was too good an opportunity to miss. Fare prices have only gone up since I booked. I have the same room for both cruises; an E2 Balcony. I turn Emerald during Cruise 1 and will visit the Loyalty Ambassador to ensure s/he is aware :)

I’ve been to San Juan, St Maarten, St Kitts and Aruba before; every other stop will be new for me. I’ve independent excursions arranged for Antigua (Gordon), St Lucia (aerial tram), Barbados (Calabaza Catamaran) and Curacao (Gigi Scheper). I plan to book the visit to Nevis (St Kitts) on board…. I had been trying to arrange a private tour with Royston but despite lengthy discussions with him he wasn’t able to put it together for me.

I’ve removed the repetition of my sig for ease of reading as we go and will turn it back on at the very end. It’s here not just as a sig but just so you can have a look at previous blogs if you have way too much time on your hands!

We’ve heard that Drew Devine will be the CD.

Will be interested to report back on how a B2B is handled and also how they do Muster on a late sailaway. My understanding is that Muster will be after All Aboard around 6pm…… we shall see….

Will be happy to answer any questions you have.

I’ve already been asked for an update on the bringing of power strips and is Dede on board (used to be Concierge).

fb72450936f214ae82c4e295ff9f77ea.pngc3ee5fed6905a16a9ef3d3c87c8a9ddf.png

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog : here Link to pics : here and here

Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010 Bit of a blog : here

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here

Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here Link to pics : here

Independence of the Seas - T

OK I've worked out it doesn't like my sig when it's in the whole piece.....

So here it is :

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - 26th November 2011 Bit of a blog : here Link to pics : here and here

Adventure of the Seas - 5 Nights out of Malaga - 8th November 2010 Bit of a blog : here

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska Cruise Tour - 31st July 2010 Bit of a blog : here Link to Linda's FB pics : here Some of Darran's pics are here

Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 2nd March 2009 Bit of a blog : here Link to pics : here

Independence of the Seas - Treasures of the Med - 20th Sept 2008 Bit of a blog : here Link to pics ; here

I flew direct from Gatwick with a layover for an hour and a half in Antigua.

I've never experienced a layover before. Everyone (and that was most of the plane) who needed to disembark did then cleaners came aboard and systematically tidied up. I stood by the door and was hit in the face by the amazing heat..... very different from back home where the central heating is on!

There was a crew changeover and then security appeared and swept the plane very efficiently. We had to move our belongings in groups so our seating area could be searched.

SJU - I estimate maybe 100 passengers were left from a totally booked flight. Screening at immigration was easy; no other flights in town at this time. Baggage reclamation..... altogether a different story.... no signage whatsoever. Taking a slow wander down the conveyor belts I saw a British Airways board so we all stood at that one. The one next to it started to move..... so did we..... and we waited and waited.... then another belt started up on the other side of the hall..... so we headed over to that one as we could see in the distance bags being discharged.... sure enough they were ours.....

Leaving the hall I headed for the taxi rank and was immediately approached by someone with a walkie talkie.... now I was looking for a despatcher but there was no-one. Chap with the radio asked me if he could help and so with another couple from the plane we went in his van. He dropped them at the Hilton and then took me to the Sheraton Convention which is where I am now on the 11th floor which would appear to have a view of the Pan Am pier :D Will see in daylight. Got really dark very early here.

The room is HUGE with free internet.

Room service is not cheap.... all items include 18% service and $3 delivery.

I am too tired after 11 plus hours on a plane to head downstairs.....

Can't WAIT to see you at lunch time tomorrow!! This is gonna be so much fun!!! xoxoxoxo:D

Everyone, this is Patty. I met her and her hubby Scott last year on CC then Navigator. My life hasn't been the same since. There will be others from that cruise joining us for week 2.

I'm on the 11th floor yet I can hear jazz being played..... no idea from where....

Hi Linda ...... you guys have a wonderful time and I will be with all of you in spirt ...... even though we cannot watch you in sail away WAVE THOSE BOAS HIGH !!

So, the Pink Boa reference..... the Pink Boa Society, now Pink Boa Cruisers, was created for the Freedom Inaugural and lives on in a bunch of extremely talented, beautiful and outrageous women of which I am proud to be a member! You can google for more info. I have my boa squashed in my case and will be discarding feathers whenever I wear it :D

If you sometimes watch the port webcams you will see the Pink Boas from time to time as the spirit lives on.... the men associated with these ladies have been known to don pink sequined hats or wigs.... pink shirts etc to identify themselves with the cause...... the cause is to have a good time and meet new people and make lots of friends.....

Hi Linda, so glad to hear your flight wasn't to bad for you. I am waiting to hear holding my breath about this leg of your cruise. I will be sucking up every bit of info you impart and living vicariously through you for this week. Above all else have a wonderful trip and I really look forward to meeting you Patty and Scott in a bit more than a week. Have a great time. I can't wait to hear more.

Rhonda

A week from now we will be in San Juan waiting anxiously to join you on board. For now we will live vicariously through you via your blog. Let's hope boarding goes smoother for you than last year's Navigator sailing especially since this is the first arrival in the U.S. for the Adventure this season. In any event, the boa is packed and the pink shirt ready--we will see you soon.

Paul

A week from now we will be in San Juan waiting anxiously to join you on board. For now we will live vicariously through you via your blog. Let's hope boarding goes smoother for you than last year's Navigator sailing especially since this is the first arrival in the U.S. for the Adventure this season. In any event, the boa is packed and the pink shirt ready--we will see you soon.

Paul

Thanks everyone for joining us!! I will do my best to fill you all in on the good and the not so good.

Paul, some of us received emails with regards to boarding. Mine is via my TA :

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding our mutual guests booked on the Adventure of the Seas sailing 18th November 2012 from San Juan, Puerto Rico. We would ask that you provide this information to them as soon as possible.

The ship is not permitted to begin boarding until all guests from the previous cruise have been processed through US Immigration & Customs. Due to this mandatory inspection, check-in and boarding has now been delayed until 2.00PM.

Please be aware, due to capacity limits in the terminals in San Juan, officials will limit access inside the terminal during this time. Therefore we ask that you please notify guests of this expected change in check-in time and encourage them to not arrive at the cruise terminal before 2.00PM.

Thank you for your assistance in providing this information to our mutual guests. As always, we thank you for your on-going support.

Patty, Scott and I have yet to discuss our response to this......

My laptop says the time is 0235..... why am I still up?

I ordered room service..... OMG..... I had Ribeye, rare and cooked to perfection.... I had forgotten how enormous portions are.... I doubt my girls are following but this steak tops any from our favourite French restaurant. If you're ever in London or Paris let me know and I'll give you the addresses!!

You are going to so so love this b2b!! we did so much in february that we are going again this february. Get some rest....

We had muster at 6pm right before first seating dinner both legs. Capt Ron was excellent. Haven't had time to go thru and see who is at the helm on your trip or ours yet!!!!

Thank you for sharing.

Linda, I am loving your blog already! So glad you arrived safely. Hopefully, your embarkation will go a lot smoother than last year on Navigator!! Can't wait to find out!

I did a B2B last month on Oasis of the Seas for the first time and everything went so smoothly. I look forward to hearing how yours goes.

I wish I was going with all of you! This blog is the next best thing to being there with you and all the others I met a year ago on Navigator!! I can't believe it has already been a year. Can't wait to see some photos and I will be looking for those flying feathers!!!

Have the time of your lives!!!

:)

Archived