Yikes! No cellphones? How to find each other? (& safety for kids)

Numer3

My parents are taking 21 of us (10 adults & 11 "kids" who range in age from 11-25) on a cruise on the Crown over Xmas. *4 of the cabins will be kids only. *Just wondering if there is any advice on how to stay in contact without the use of cell phones?? *

Also, are the three 16 year old girls free to come and go from their teen club? *What about the 11 & 12 year old boys, from their kids club? *Or do they need to be signed out? *How safe is it on the ship, as far as these kids being on their own? *

Anyone else who has been in a similar situation, any tips? *Even wondering how we, the adults, find each other? *

Thanks!

Lara

Please note that Princess and most if not all of the cruise lines require at least one passenger per cabin be 21 or older. Kids alone won't cut it with them. As to staying in touch, arrange a time and place to meet. Cell phones will work in ports but can be expensive to use out of country.

Assuming the kids can read a note under the door perhaps may suffice.

There are public phones around the ship to use and messages can be left on the cabin phones.

You'll be amazed that you can live safely without the "comfort blanket" of a cell phone 24/7icon12.gif

The teens will be allowed to come and go from the teen club at will. The 11 and 12 years olds will be allowed to leave when they want if their parents sign the form giving them permission.

We let our kids (11 and 14) go around the ship by themselves and weren't worried. I know many people have different opinions on this but we gave our kids rules (no going in anyone else's cabin, don't accept drinks from anyone other than Princess staff, etc) and we felt they were responsible enough not to cause trouble.

As previously stated, your kids must have an adult registered in the cabin with them. No kids cabins allowed. We had adjacent cabins with me and my daughter in one and my husband and son in the other. Of course, no one checks who actually sleeps in which room.

First of all, your parents are totally awesome! Be sure to remember that.

As far as kids-only cabins go, previous poster is correct to the point where at least one 21 year old or greater passenger must be booked in each cabin. However many families move people around after embarkation and make kids-cabins. That works fine as long as everyone keeps things quiet in the cabins.

For communication there are lots of ways to do that. FMRS walkie-talkies have been mentioned in other posts but with all the metal in the ship their use is pretty much limited to open decks. Also, public use of WTs requires etiquette much like cell-phones. Keep the volume down and conversations short. You can also use post-it notes in the cabins or on the message board outside each cabin door. Telephones in each cabin also have a voice-mail capability, if plans change you can leave a message.

Kids club freedom to come and go for 11-12 year-olds is up to the discretion of the parent and is set up during initial enrollment. I don't know about the older group but would suspect it is the same.

IMHO, it is very safe for these age ranges on the ship. You'll find Princess does cater to kids and all the crew keep an eye on them wherever they are.

We cruised to Alaska with a then 15 year-old cousin and he had a blast. We rarely saw him but that was fine. He was having fun with his shipboard friends.

We had walkie talkies on that trip but almost never used them.

You should have no problems on the ship but it might be smart to stay together as groups in port

FRS 2 way radios, you can buy them nowdays for less than $20.00. Try radio shack, best-buy, walmart.
We've seen families use these onboard, and it seems to work. I think Princess tried an experiment renting these to passengers, but do not see information on renting in the Cruise Answer Book.

Please note that Princess and most if not all of the cruise lines require at least one passenger per cabin be 21 or older. Kids alone won't cut it with them.

Actually that is not the policy. Children must be traveling with someone who is at least 21 yaers old, but that person does not have to be in the cabin with them. At least one of the children in a cabin without an adult must be 16 or older.

Per the Princess web site:

For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian.

We bought these little dry erase boards and decorated them with beachy/cruisey stickers. We also stuck flat magnates on the back. Then we gave one to each cabin with a dry erase marker. Then we stuck them to the wall above the mailbox.

Each person can write on their board or the person they want to communicate with telling them where they are going and what time they posted the note.

That way everyone knows where the other people are.

Tips:

Don't attach them to the door as they fall off when the door closes.

Don't leave the marker out with the board (people take them or write nasty stuff on the board!). Keep it in the cabin.

You really don't need a board for each cabin. You can have one main board, but it's fun for everyone to have one.

All modern cruise ships - including Princess ships - have special towers that allow American cell phones to operate at sea. You never have to be out of touch with your family.

If you cannot afford the marine roaming service, or have decided that convenience, safety, and peace of mind are not worth the money, that's a different problem that you need to work out.

All modern cruise ships - including Princess ships - have special towers that allow American cell phones to operate at sea. You never have to be out of touch with your family.

If you cannot afford the marine roaming service, or have decided that convenience, safety, and peace of mind are not worth the money, that's a different problem that you need to work out.

We all survived many years without cell phones...I recommend teens being disconnected while at sea or you may have SERIOUS sticker shock...from connecting to friends at home, sending pics & videos.

We have cruised 3x with the kids,(and they were younger than yours on past cruises). POST IT notes work FINE. We are actually a few doors down from the kids; we will be getting an extra key for their room for us as well & will require nightly check in by everyone.

One piece of advice...when traveling w/ a group that large (as we have several times) DO NOT think you will all do everything together!! We agreed that nightly dinner together was non-negotiable, then we would discuss things people were thinking of doing that night/next morning. Those who wanted to do the same things might go together, but that way everyone did what they wanted and there was little waiting around. MUCH MUCH happier that way!

With most technology issues today, the joke is to ask a 12 year old for advice. However, here is a case where asking Grandma will give you a quick sensible solutlion. For thousands of years, families managed to stay in touch without the use of a cell phone.

Plan when and where to meet

Leave a note under the cabin door or stick it to the door

Leave a message on the in cabin voice mail

Even though it's a "safe" environment - that is largely up to the judgement of the individuals involved. I think it's a good idea to have your kids check-in with you in person periodically. And, honestly, I don't think a curfew is a bad thing. There's nothing going on late at night anyway, and it keeps them out of trouble or from accidentally disturbing others. :)

We always verbally made plans with our boys (now young men) and left notes on the cabin mirror. There was never an issue and most of the time they hung around with us anyway. On the Grand last week there were a dozen or so young teenagers who spent the entire time totally unsupervised and when not roaming in a pack, used the lounges in the Conservatory for their own personal 'snuggle' spots. The majority of the kids on board were great, well behaved and having a good time. Some parents treat the ship as a playground and let their kids do whatever while they gamble, dine and go on shore excursions without them. Thank heavens that is not what most parents do.

It sounds like a wonderful family vacation. While most time at sea children/people are safe, remember that you are on a ship with at least 3,000 other people who you don’t know. Can all theses people be trusted? Only you can make that call.

The OP is not asking about cell service, but alternate means to staying in touch with each other onboard.

My parents are taking 21 of us (10 adults & 11 "kids" who range in age from 11-25) on a cruise on the Crown over Xmas. *4 of the cabins will be kids only. *Just wondering if there is any advice on how to stay in contact without the use of cell phones?? *

Also, are the three 16 year old girls free to come and go from their teen club? *What about the 11 & 12 year old boys, from their kids club? *Or do they need to be signed out? *How safe is it on the ship, as far as these kids being on their own? *

Anyone else who has been in a similar situation, any tips? *Even wondering how we, the adults, find each other? *

Thanks!

Lara

Welcome to CC!

As anywhere on vacation or life in general its wise to be cautious of your surroundings.

Stuff can happen on a ship just as it can anywhere else.

Kids should not nbe left alone to roam at all hours, have rules set in place.

You will all have a blast. :)

One thing to remember. None of these kids have watches. They use their phones for time. There are few clocks on the ship. We left-messages on room phones and gave the group our underwater watches. It was a surprise for us old folks to see only one of our group of 7 had a watch. I agree that dinner with a group is mandatory. We have a group of 9 this spring and got traditional seating so we could all be together at least once a day.

One thing to remember. None of these kids have watches. They use their phones for time. There are few clocks on the ship. We left-messages on room phones and gave the group our underwater watches. It was a surprise for us old folks to see only one of our group of 7 had a watch. I agree that dinner with a group is mandatory. We have a group of 9 this spring and got traditional seating so we could all be together at least once a day.

That's a good point. But if I remember correctly, the phones that are wall mounted near the stairwells and elevators display the time. So they shouldn't have to look too far to find out the time. Don't accept "I didn't have a watch" as an excuse, lol!:rolleyes:

We bought all the kids $10 watches before we went!:o If they can't find a clock they can always ask a crew member or another passenger for the time.

We have tried the 2 way radios & they didn't work well for us. Wish I could remember the brand, but I would do some online research for reviews before purchasing--just don't want it to be a total waste of money as it was for us!

Happy cruising!

I second the watch suggestion. You can find cheap ones at your local Walmart, etc. Give them out as bon voyage gifts. Then you can decide that John's going to the pool, Jane's going to the gym, and Mike's going to watch a movie, but you'll all meet at the Wheelhouse at 2:00. You're family, communicate.

That's a good point. But if I remember correctly, the phones that are wall mounted near the stairwells and elevators display the time. So they shouldn't have to look too far to find out the time. Don't accept "I didn't have a watch" as an excuse, lol!:rolleyes:

The ones in the cabin have the time display. The ones I have used in the public areas have not.

Archived