Bequia by Ferry or Bust! Help convince me

BeamReaching

I am new to the board but not new to cruising. I am also definitely well traveled and have done a lot of independent traveling and backpacking. I am trying to merge my two travel interestes (independent traveling and cruising) and need some assurances from experienced travelers. I will be on the Maasdam 11 day cruise which includes St. Vincent. I really want a fabulous beach experience for my family and me in the Grenedines. Problem is, I've heard the beaches on St. Vincent are a bust and the better ones are hard to reach. Alternatively, I am seriously considering a trip to Bequia which I've heard has fabulous beaches. I am really not interested in a Cat day sail to Bequia where you spend most of your time on a Cat and pay big bucks. I think the idea of ferry to Bequia and exploration on our own will be well worth it. Will be at port in St Vincent from 10 - 7 pm. Help convince me that I can and should do this. Forgot to mention I am traveling with a toddler. Thanks!

While I did not peruse the beaches, something that I did in Bequia is by FAR the coolest thing I've ever seen at ANY caribbean port I've been to! We traveled by boat around the tip of the island to MOON HOLE. This is a FABULOUS abandoned home built into the rock of the island. The entire house is made from rock. It is RIGHT on the water!!! It is awesome! You MUST travel to see this home and a few others that were built this way. Moon Hole has since been abandoned as it was unsafe from falling rocks, but seeing it from the water is amazing. I will try and post a photo if I can figure out how to do it from my Mac! :)

I am new to the board but not new to cruising. I am also definitely well traveled and have done a lot of independent traveling and backpacking. I am trying to merge my two travel interestes (independent traveling and cruising) and need some assurances from experienced travelers. I will be on the Maasdam 11 day cruise which includes St. Vincent. I really want a fabulous beach experience for my family and me in the Grenedines. Problem is, I've heard the beaches on St. Vincent are a bust and the better ones are hard to reach. Alternatively, I am seriously considering a trip to Bequia which I've heard has fabulous beaches. I am really not interested in a Cat day sail to Bequia where you spend most of your time on a Cat and pay big bucks. I think the idea of ferry to Bequia and exploration on our own will be well worth it. Will be at port in St Vincent from 10 - 7 pm. Help convince me that I can and should do this. Forgot to mention I am traveling with a toddler. Thanks!

I booked the Cat day sail to Bequia on my Maasdam 11 day cruise. I was really looking forward to this tour.

My feelings on it, I will give it a 6 out of a 10.

I did enjoy the sail between the two islands,esp the return sailing. The water was gentle and the breeze great.

The staff was friendly and polite.

I enjoyed the beach that we stop at

What I didn't like is you are on the boat the majority of the tour. Yes we had beach time and shore time,but I want to say it total three hours at the most.

The snorkling portion is fine if you done it before. But for the first timers or weak swimmers, no assistance like other tours (you have the vest that allow you to float,but none of the crew were in the water). The seating is very hard and after a certain point, not comfy.

Quite a few of the less mobile and older set on the tour couldn't manage the steps (esp when at the beach and port we had to step out in the water) so for the whole tour they were on the Cat.

Since we had so limited time at the port area, we couldn't leave from that area. The bulk of the shops were closed and the few that were open items were very expensive!!

If I could had did it over again, I would had book a tour of St. Vincent (some of my tablemates did this with a guide suggested on this board and rave about it) or caught a ferry over and did an island tour that way (we got to port and cleared very early around 8 a.m.)

Like I stated, there were some things of the tour that I enjoyed, but alot that I did not.

• 2 weeks later...

The ferry between Bequia and Kingstown takes about an hour or so each way. You would need to get an up-to-date ferry schedule to see whether it fits your timeframe both coming and going. Try asking about the ferry schedule on Trip Advisor in the St. Vincent and Grenadines forum - there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on that forum.

The waterfront and beach areas near Port Elizabeth on Bequia are very nice. Lots of little restaurants and snack places, and the beach is clean and gorgeous, with trees along the rim for shade. There's a tourist info place right near where the ferry docks, but I'm sure you could ask anyone and they'd direct you to the beach.

If the ferry schedule works for you, this would be a very easy, enjoyable day for you and your little one.

Archived