Thoughts on table for two?

bshow

my so and i both lead very busy professional lives and both travel extensively on our jobs. Therefore, the time we are together is somewhat limited. Its rare, but sometimes we only see each other on the weekends. So, when we go on vacation we want that time to be all about the two of us being together. We don't sit and look at eachother and not talk. We cherish the time together and make the most of it. I would not want the distraction of other people during dinner, so i want a table for 2 all the time.

+1!

We enjoy a table for two at dinner. We usually share larger tables for lunch but who would I rather dine with then my best friend my DH. We have lucked out and had two wonderful couples we shared a table with on two cruises but we could not enjoy anything bigger than four.

Do you enjoy the company at dinner, or do you feel more comfortable with just your companion?

We have done it all and enjoyed it all. When we were busy raising our kids we were fiercely private and craved time with each other. Now that our children are grown we can have many uninterrupted discussions at home, so enjoy meeting new people.

I have loved our tables of 6 and 10. However, next cruise we are back to a two-top, it has been a super busy year and I will enjoy some quiet time with my husband. Somehow, after all these years we still find so much to talk about. :)

When on a cruise, we love a table with 6 - 10, doesn't matter. It's interesting to get to know other people and also hear about their experiences on the cruise, or other cruises. We've made some wonderful friends over the years. At home, we have a 48 year tradition of Friday night date night, when we go out with the 2 of us, and catch up with each other. Both are great. One thing I find really interesting is how different people define great service. For many, that means quick. For us, we hate being rushed, we love to enjoy a leisurely dinner and take our time. Different strokes!

It astounds me, after reading this thread, that if so manty couples love spending so much time together, why is the divorce rate so high?
LOL, spending time together is not the only factor in a divorce. My divorce was final almost 2 years ago and I would still enjoy sitting down with my ex-wife over a nice dinner and conversation. I just don't want to be married to her anymore.

Interesting thread. We have done tables of 4, 6 and 8 and just got off the Westerdam where we tried a table for two.

We enjoyed it very much and found the service faster.

On the other hand we have met some terrific people at the larger tables.

There are pros and cons to do both. Really did enjoy the table for two on this cruise though and will stick with that for the next one. Thanks to our cruise critic roll calls, we meet people and can do things together before or after dinner or even some special Pinnacles together:D

For us, a table for two at dinner would defeat much of the purpose of the cruise.

So the purpose of the cruise for you is to meet other people? We could do that at home. :p

The best solution is to get family and friends come along and enjoy a larger but private family table. Even if it just two others. We have done this on our last two cruises.

igraf

That is a great solution, and we love it when friends and family can join us. Unfortunately those times aren't that often.

So the purpose of the cruise for you is to meet other people? We could do that at home. :p

That is a great solution, and we love it when friends and family can join us. Unfortunately those times aren't that often.

You must belong to a country club or some sort of social organization if it's easier to meet people at home. Or, you are probably very gregarious.

I enjoy meeting people from all walks of life on a cruiseship and I especially enjoy hearing about their travels. I think where the difference lies in peoples opinions in this thread is that some of us sail predominantly in Europe/Asia, where you find an interesting mix of people from Britain , Australia and Canada. And, the far majority of people on the ship are extremely well traveled, thus the interesting conversations. I really don't want to hear about others Grandchildren or their involvement in the Rotary Club or similar!

I really don't want to hear about others Grandchildren or their involvement in the Rotary Club or similar!
How about everything you ever wanted to know about Arthritis, Diabetes, Thyroid Disease, Urinary Disorders, Gastrointestinal Disorders, Osteoporosis, Hip Replacements, Gout, and every other disease you can think of? Would you find that interesting? LOL

You must belong to a country club or some sort of social organization if it's easier to meet people at home. Or, you are probably very gregarious.

I enjoy meeting people from all walks of life on a cruiseship and I especially enjoy hearing about their travels. I think where the difference lies in peoples opinions in this thread is that some of us sail predominantly in Europe/Asia, where you find an interesting mix of people from Britain , Australia and Canada. And, the far majority of people on the ship are extremely well traveled, thus the interesting conversations. I really don't want to hear about others Grandchildren or their involvement in the Rotary Club or similar!

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean it's easier to meet people at home, I meant that meeting people isn't the primary reason we cruise. We enjoy meeting people from all over the world too, but it isn't the main reason we cruise.

We've been at tables for 6, 4 and then ourselves. We are usually celebrating a birthday or our anniversary or both and we enjoy each other's company. We don't have to worry if someone comes late to the table and dinner is held up for that reason, etc. We have special table numbers for the Westerdam and Zaandam and have always been able to arrange getting them so that's what we like to do. We never run out of things to talk about and we enjoy the ambiance of the MDR for our 8PM seating.

How about everything you ever wanted to know about Arthritis, Diabetes, Thyroid Disease, Urinary Disorders, Gastrointestinal Disorders, Osteoporosis, Hip Replacements, Gout, and every other disease you can think of? Would you find that interesting? LOL

I guess I wasn't clear....I want to hear about TRAVEL and cruising. No diseases. Unless it's related to something I have!! I certainly wouldn't bring it up as conversation, nor would I badger a Doctor about my ailments!!

We started going with Anytime dining after we were unfortunate to share a table with a person who smashed their entire meal into a ball, 2 elderly ladies who like to talk about their exploits with the opposite sex, and 2 sisters who had the fight of the century and are still not speaking to each other after 6 years!! We did have a wonderful table of 8 on our last cruise---Early seating. Thank goodness! All were pleasant, normal people (except for the wife of one who we found out later had a psychiatric disorder in addition to being stoned on vicodin!!) At least with Anytime dining, we are only exposed to the obnoxious ones for one meal. And, seriously----we really have not run into too many of those. And, when we do, it gives us something to talk about if we are put at a table for two!!

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I didn't mean it's easier to meet people at home, I meant that meeting people isn't the primary reason we cruise. We enjoy meeting people from all over the world too, but it isn't the main reason we cruise.

Meeting people isn't our primary reason for cruising. We are addicted to traveling around the world and enjoy being with like minded people. In my "real life", the friends who travel in Europe are few and far between. I love being able to talk to others who have been to the same places to compare notes, or learning of new places to go!

Meeting people isn't our primary reason for cruising. We are addicted to traveling around the world and enjoy being with like minded people. In my "real life", the friends who travel in Europe are few and far between. I love being able to talk to others who have been to the same places to compare notes, or learning of new places to go!

I hear you all too well on this Linda - travelling to Europe is not on everyone's bucket list. C'est la vie - we've met some great people on our European cruises - if I hadn't met someone on a cruise - heck I wouldn't have learned about cruise critic:eek: We've had the pleasure of meeting many interesting people on our cruises. It's not the reason we travel but it certainly adds to the pleasure for us:D

I enjoy people,love a good conversation,am always excited to learn something new,and have a reasonable sense of humor (on a good day I can be really quite funny :o)

However,we don't cruise as often as some, so our cruise vacations are very precious to us...I am just not prepared to waste a moment or the energy required, dealing with unpleasant table mates,or the awkwardness of changing tables.(having said that ,the vast majority of cruisers we have met are delightful)

We love cruising and our quiet table for two in the MDR. Sometimes the conversation is lively and animated ,sometimes more subdued.(comfortable silence isn't the same as bored) But I cherish dining with someone, whose company I prefer to most,whose behavior I can depend on,and who has even been known to let me taste his dessert ;)

It's wonderful ,whatever dining experience we prefer....Hal affords the choice.:)

DW and I have been on over 50 cruises, we have been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt, now we prefer a table for two.

A table for two sometimes provides for a nice peaceful evening of conversation with your significant other.

We have done both.

Archived