Cruise ship back to Mobile - Rumor

GRAMMYTAN

Another vote against Mobile. We cruised from there one time, getting on board was OK, getting off was a nightmare. The staff was appalling, the terminal was terrible.

I agree 100%. Mobile is an hour away and very convenient but I will never cruise from there again (if they even come back). I won't go as far as to say the staff was rude but they were completely clueless. On debarkation there was no rhyme or reason in the luggage/zone numbering. Along one wall the numbers went 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 then stopped and picked up on the other wall with some of the missing numbers. We were in zone 25 and our luggage was under the escalator between 23 and 28, go figure, I wish I would have taken pictures but it is the customs area. The customs line stanchions/ropes were overflowing and the staff that was supposed to be guiding/helping passengers were just standing around. Passengers were just pushing into the line wherever they could and the staff WOULDN'T do anything about it, even after several passengers voiced their concern over the lack of control.

We were off the ship at around 8:45 but didn't leave the terminal until almost noon. NEVER AGAIN FROM MOBILE. :mad:

From what I've read and heard....it's a long way out if at all. Mostly wishful thinking unfortunately....:(

At this point I would have to agree with you. EVEN if they inked a deal today. All ships are locked in to sailings for quite a while.

I agree 100%. Mobile is an hour away and very convenient but I will never cruise from there again (if they even come back). I won't go as far as to say the staff was rude but they were completely clueless. On debarkation there was no rhyme or reason in the luggage/zone numbering. Along one wall the numbers went 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 then stopped and picked up on the other wall with some of the missing numbers. We were in zone 25 and our luggage was under the escalator between 23 and 28, go figure, I wish I would have taken pictures but it is the customs area. The customs line stanchions/ropes were overflowing and the staff that was supposed to be guiding/helping passengers were just standing around. Passengers were just pushing into the line wherever they could and the staff WOULDN'T do anything about it, even after several passengers voiced their concern over the lack of control.

We were off the ship at around 8:45 but didn't leave the terminal until almost noon. NEVER AGAIN FROM MOBILE. :mad:

Sorry you had such a bad experience. Ours was usually very much different. We were normally off the ship and in our vehicle by 8:30 to 9:00.

I do agree that Debark from the Fantasy class ships is a bit of a mess. For example. On the Elation in NOLA we use the Platinum Selfassist and have to take our bags up two floors to one of the lounges and then when its time to leave take them back down those 2 floors for debark. The Lobby set up is just not conducive for a smooth debark in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed from Mobile twice on the Elation. At the time, we lived about an hour an a half from the port. We thoroughly enjoyed both cruises, but we now live closer to 11 hours from Mobile. I would rather drive to Charleston (assuming they keep their ship), or Jacksonville for a short cruise now, and Baltimore is only about 6 hours away as well. Plus better itineraries.

Mobile had some trouble with their shoreside employees....they just did not seem as up to date and their customs was not very efficient either. For the right price though, I would look at a back to back. Hope they mix up their itineraries some and stray from the 4 day Cozumel and 5 day Progreso/Cozumel route.....

I would love to cruise from Mobile, I really really was very upset when my cruise from Mobile was cancelled, and I ended up taking another cruise instead-but this cruising from Mobile to Progresso is my dream cruise.

Have you ever sailed to Progreso? I always preferred when we could sail out of Mobile to Cozumel and Costa Maya (before Hurricane Dean wiped out Costa Maya.)

After a few sailings to Progresso, though< it became a better port. But the last time we went, April 2012, on the Elation we were really disappointed and wished we had just stayed on the ship that day. We went in long enough for lunch and then headed straight back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

Just wondering if any cruisers who actually live in Mobile have checked with your local mayor and any other officials about any word of a ship at Port of Mobile. Maybe talk to whoever is in charge of facilities management of the cruise port building? Does the Chamber of Commerce know anything? Maybe a bunch of wanting to sail from Mobile should contact the local TV stations and see if they can get in on the search!

I so wish CCL would bring a ship back to Mobile. I want to drive down today for my next cruise. But I want it to be SOON! :D

This midwest girl would definitely sail out of Mobile over NOLA. I hated sailing out of NOla! We did a B2B on Elation before she left. DRiving for me is about 12 hours to Houston, Nola or Mobile. It's cheapest to fly to Orlando in reality.

Bring back Mobile (with a good ship!)!

I too loved sailing out of Mobile! Easy drive for me as well. But the way I understand it Carnival couldn't sell out the ship even with discounted rates so they moved the ship. I don't know what new home ports they may be exploring, it doesn't seem like there'd be many left?

I so wish CCL would bring a ship back to Mobile. I want to drive down today for my next cruise. But I want it to be SOON! :D

Do you mind running by Hermitage and picking us up 1st? :)

Well, if we're gonna dream, then let's just go ahead and put Louisville, KY on the list....we could sail down the Ohio River to the Mississippi River and then out into the Gulf of Mexico....centrally located Louisville is only six hours from Chicago, five hours from St. Louis...of course I could make St. Louis work too!

We would cruise out of Mobile depending on the itinerary. It's about a 9 hr drive for us, similar to the drive to Port Canaveral. But we would bother making the trip for short cruises to Cozumel and back or similar.

We cruised out of Mobile a couple of times and it seems that the ships were always being delayed due to fog. One time they made us all park under an overpass and we were stuck waiting there for over 3 hours.

Archived