Are Bora Bora, Raitea or Rangiroa places one can just walk off the ship and find fun

Schplinky

We're on Ocean Princess and have things planned for most ports but not here. Are there diversions we could just walk off the ship and visit? We like snorkeling (but less so at Princess' prices) and we also really like a beach bar or hotel that will let us park on their chairs and order drinks and food.

At the three places you mentioned there really isn't any 'fun' places within walking distance.

They do have a shuttle on Bora Bora for 5 bucks that will take you to Matira Beach and the IC rsort is across the steet.

On Raiatea the ship is docked at the main toen for shopping but no resort within walking distance or nice beach

On Moorea neither marina has a good beach close by but normally the OP will tender to the marina next to the Hotel Kaveka. When you get off the tender go to the street and go to your right. Down 3/4 mile is the Club Bali Hai. Older hotel but built and owned by the famed Bali Hai Boys. Great view of Mt Bali Hai & best priced drinks on the island. Beach is small but you can get wet. They won't mind if you eat drink and be merry. Just tell them what your plan is when you walk by the office.

At the three places you mentioned there really isn't any 'fun' places within walking distance.

They do have a shuttle on Bora Bora for 5 bucks that will take you to Matira Beach and the IC rsort is across the steet.

On Raiatea the ship is docked at the main toen for shopping but no resort within walking distance or nice beach

On Moorea neither marina has a good beach close by but normally the OP will tender to the marina next to the Hotel Kaveka. When you get off the tender go to the street and go to your right. Down 3/4 mile is the Club Bali Hai. Older hotel but built and owned by the famed Bali Hai Boys. Great view of Mt Bali Hai & best priced drinks on the island. Beach is small but you can get wet. They won't mind if you eat drink and be merry. Just tell them what your plan is when you walk by the office.

Do you know if there is a hotel with day passes in either Raiatea or Rangiroa that we could cab to?

On Rangiroa I would contact the Kia Ora Resort and ask if you can use their facilities. I've heard other cruise people have done so. It's only 1/2 mile from the marina if you feel brave enough to walk along the beach or it's 1 1/4 miles if you walk along the road.

resa@hotelkiaora.pf

www.hotelkiaora.com

Thanks for trying to help. As an FYI to others, I do so and got a no in terms of using the beach or pool. Perhaps others have had different experience.

========================

Ia orana,

Thank you for your email.

For your information we don’t have day passes. You can use the bar and the restaurant but not the beach and the pool.

We stay at your disposal for any further information you may require in the nearest future.

Best regards,

Did you offer to pay a day use fee or to promise to eat and order a few drinks?

I've heard others have been able to do so but I know they patronized the place.

There is also the Mai Tai which is owned by the same company that owns the Paul gauguin. I would assume they are setup for cruisers. Might be worth asking.

http://www.rangiroa.hotelmaitai.com/Welcome-to-Hotel-Maitai-Rangiroa

Did you offer to pay a day use fee or to promise to eat and order a few drinks?

I've heard others have been able to do so but I know they patronized the place.

There is also the Mai Tai which is owned by the same company that owns the Paul gauguin. I would assume they are setup for cruisers. Might be worth asking.

http://www.rangiroa.hotelmaitai.com/Welcome-to-Hotel-Maitai-Rangiroa

Thanks! I offered to buy a day pass AND buy food and drink. I'll try the Mai tai people.

Tiki,

Rangiroa

I also got no from Kia Ora.

the Maitai is quite distance and I think you will have to arrange a boat to get there and back. Thats what they told me when I said i wanted to come there in the afternoon.

We just walk along the edge and enjoy the water. A bit pebbly in this area.

Tiki,

Rangiroa

I also got no from Kia Ora.

the Maitai is quite distance and I think you will have to arrange a boat to get there and back. Thats what they told me when I said i wanted to come there in the afternoon.

We just walk along the edge and enjoy the water. A bit pebbly in this area.

I wonder if the people who report having visited just show up and buy drinks and food and then spend time there without gong through the formality of asking?

We are doing L'Excursion Bleue in Raiatea, boat tour with snorkelling, stops at a pearl farm, vanilla farm and lunch. On Rangiroa, we are going diving but you could snorkel as well. There are also tours to a couple unique beaches.

We are doing L'Excursion Bleue in Raiatea, boat tour with snorkelling, stops at a pearl farm, vanilla farm and lunch. On Rangiroa, we are going diving but you could snorkel as well. There are also tours to a couple unique beaches.

1st trip to FP on Marina...not accustomed to this type of excursion....do you suggest we bring our own snorkel gear??

I would always bring my own snorkel gear, using someone else's snorkel is sort of like using their toothbrush -ewww. And I carry my own mask as I wear a prescription one. But ultimately it is up to you. Many excursions supply them but the quality varies.

I would always bring my own snorkel gear, using someone else's snorkel is sort of like using their toothbrush -ewww. And I carry my own mask as I wear a prescription one. But ultimately it is up to you. Many excursions supply them but the quality varies.

I wear glasses & new to snorkeling, interested in the prescription mask..custom made, off the shelf??

Thanks

I wear glasses & new to snorkeling, interested in the prescription mask..custom made, off the shelf??

Thanks

Our local dive shop sells masks that they will install prescription lenses into. They come pre stocked in 1/4 or 1/2 diopter, you just need to know your prescription. Plus the dive shop will make sure the mask fits your face well.

• 2 weeks later...

IMO pass on the prescription mask, get disposable contacts instead, a mask is to easy to lose. Also remember that objects underwater will be magnified by 1/3rd. you might not even need correction.

Get a book on shells, there are some you do not want to pick up!

Archived