How to buy stock in carnival

rockyman935

2 hours ago, PaulMedik said:

Coevan,

The key is 'do you think?'  We can all answer that; I think 26 will be the low.

What if there is NO BOTTOM in Share price for the Cruise Ship Industry.

The Cruise industry is a massive victim of this Virus.

If...the cruise industry SLOWS down and gradually recovers then  $26 for a Carnival share is a 60% discount on the 1 year high of $56.00.

But France just banned 5000 person gatherings. That means the largest Cruise ships are effectively unusable in Europe.

Small Caribean Islands arel no longer accept Cruise ships.

The cruise lines will be unable to sell cruises.

The Cruise industry will go into shut down

No incoming cash flow.

Cancellation of pre-booked fares will cause a massive negative cash flow to the cruise lines.

Next ships will be idled.

Three months survivable. (After the last GFC airlines took 4 years to become profitable.)

6 months idle approaching bankruptcy / chapter 11 reorganization.

IF that happens the share remains in existence but the price effectively becomes ZERO.

amateurcruiser, you make some good valid points. However, you are greatly overestimating the longevity of this virus. The first calendar quarter is historically the peak of the cold and virus season. Covid-19 is a virus. Many virologists believe that with the onset of warmer weather, Covid-19 like all other virus's (and cold bugs) for that matter, will die off, or go into dormancy .  .

All of your premises imply permanency, which is simply not the case. The cruise industry will NOT shut down; the Caribbean Islands WILL reopen their ports to cruise traffic;  cruise ships will NOT become idle.  

In short your premise is fatally flawed, although I do believe there will be a massive slowdown for the next 90-120 days. But that's certainly not long enough to break the banks of the cruise lines. 

Now is an OUTSTANDING opportunity in buying stock in Carnival, or any other cruise line, IMO. 

Your hypothetical doomsday scenario will not happen. It is just that....hypothetical....and unrealistic. 

50 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

In short your premise is fatally flawed, although I do believe there will be a massive slowdown for the next 90-120 days. But that's certainly not long enough to break the banks of the cruise lines. 

i am not predicting anything. I am simply asking what happens to the share price if the Virus continues for 6 months. Its now nearly 40 days since the start of the Diamond Princess Corona Virus disaster in Yokohama.

In other words will the share price radically dip and then recover or will the share price crash through the floor due to bankruptcy.

Last Global Financial Crises every Car company (except  possibly Ford)  in USA , TECHNICALLY could not meet there  debts and were bought buy the USA government.

All except one Wall st Banks were all Financially bailed out by the USA government.

I believe the Cruise line industry is an essential industry that has done nothing wrong and I would TOTALLY support the Governments around the World declaring Force majeure and   Financially bailing the Cruise Lines out.

And good morning to you mate! I appreciate your comments. I think share prices will remain steady in a range of $28USD-$36USD until mid June, perhaps earlier if the anticipated vaccine will be developed and approved on the fast track. Then all cruise line stocks will rebound robustly. Admittedly I am an optimist. But that's how I feel. Have a great day!  

We own shares in both my IRA and my wife's IRA.  Both at about $45 cost basis.  I am seriously considering purchasing another 100 shares in our joint account (taxable) now in the low $30s range and selling the IRA amounts after the price rebounds to somewhere near our cost.  My decisions, my responsibility.  No one to blame but me if things don't work out in my favor.  But we do have over $1000 in OBC over the past cruises to ease the pain.

Investment advise for those who are not sure about an investment:

You are responsible for your decisions.

Most brokers are paid by commissions.  Their interests are not your interests.

You learn from doing.  Most of us learn more from our errors than from our success.

It is only money.  The goal is to live well, not to accumulate the most money.

Best of luck with your choices.

Dave

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skiorcruise said:

Most brokers are paid by commissions.  Their interests are not your interests.

This is why we use Fidelity, no fees. Basically you research and make your own decisions

2 minutes ago, pepsigirl64 said:

I have been told to use Charles Schwab to buy CCL stocks. I have never bought stocks, what are your thoughts for first time buyers???  

Thank you

I used to use Scott Trade and ETrade and had no issues.  My Scott Trade accounts switched over to ETrade when they merged.

As I recall Scott charged $7 per trade regardless of how many shares or $$ amount.  ETrade charges $6.65 per trade and $4.95 if you trade at least 30 sharers per quarter.  Very easy platform.  Fund directly from bank account or you can mail deposits in.  They can transfer to bank accounts or mail you a check.  You can also have dividends auto invested or placed in your account.
Best advice is buy what you know; choose products or services you prefer and learn all you can about them.

3 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Fidelity lets you trade for free.  

My wife and I both have several Fidelity retirement accounts and didn't know that option existed...time to logon to Fidelity.com and do something besides change types and % invested.

16 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I don’t think a study of 1000 people in a country with 200 million adults means anything.

And given the fact that half of the respondents can't afford to take time off from work due to illness means they don't have days accumulated to go on a cruise free or not free.  Certainly not a group that represents potential cruisers.  
I am going on a cruise next month and have eight more booked (And I have accumulated days off from work to go and have the next three paid in full and enjoying OBC from price drops).

20 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I don’t think a study of 1000 people in a country with 200 million adults means anything.

Fair enough. 

The Grand is being held off of SF because people came off the previous cruise with corona and several passengers and crew are now sick. Test kits have been airlifted to the ship.  Hopefully not another quarantine situation.  

7 hours ago, coevan said:

This is why we use Fidelity, no fees. Basically you research and make your own decisions

Coevan,

You may be the same person who was amused at advice being given here by amateurs, but I took your advice and now have my very own Fidelity Brokeragelink account!  Thank you for the advice; I had no clue Fidelity had that option and thought I had looked at all of their investment options.  I was conservative and sold off $21,000 from one account and bought / deposited into my Brokeragelink account.  I should be ready to buy CCL on Friday and avoid the $6.95 fee on ETrade.  Hopefully it will be finished going down....but if not I won't blame you since you did save me that ETrade fee!

5 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Fidelity lets you trade for free.  

Thank you for that info!  I just set up an account this evening and transferred funds in.  It's not as familiar an interface as ETrade, but at free I won't complain.  I noticed an option to port in investments from other sources...haven't explored that further.

in addition, Fidelity has the best customer service. They actually answer the phone and you don't to press any numbers, like a real person. Quite honestly I don't want a stranger putting my money where he thinks is a good investment. I bought FB at it's IPO for about $30, never looked back

3 minutes ago, PaulMedik said:

Thank you for that info!  I just set up an account this evening and transferred funds in.  It's not as familiar an interface as ETrade, but at free I won't complain.  I noticed an option to port in investments from other sources...haven't explored that further.

if I wanted to transfer funds to my personal checking account, if i executed the order tonight, it would be in my account Friday morning, no charge. 

4 minutes ago, jefffrompawpaw said:

Can someone explain the OBC for shares program?

Short version: if you own at least 100 shares of Carnival Corp stock, you submit proof of ownership, and they grant you $100 OBC. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jefffrompawpaw said:

Can someone explain the OBC for shares program?

Shareholders who hold at least 100 shares of CCL are eligible for $50 OBC for 6 days or less cruises, $100 for 7 days to 13, and $200 for cruises 14 days and longer.  You mail or fax proof of ownership (I email mine, but that option isn't listed).  Proof is a current stock statement or purchase order filled.
The benefit has been renewed each year and covers all CCL brands from Cunard to Princess and all others.

• Like 1