Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seattlekckckc

Some random things I noticed on the Diamond now... (5/28 cruise)

Hi! We got onboard yesterday, and I have a couple things I thought I would mention here. For the record, this is my 17th cruise with Princess, and my 4th on the Diamond.

~There was a surprise immigration inspection yesterday in Seattle, and all of the crew had to disembark (my friend works at the pier). When we arrived at the pier at 11.00 am, they were still disembarking, and continued to do so until about 11.30 or so. We live 10 minutes away, so it was not a big deal to us, but lots of people ended up standing around, exhausted after flying for who knows how long! But hey, what can you do.We checked in right away in the Platnimum line, and were eating in the buffet by 1. Our bags beat us to the room.

~A couple changes to note. As has been discussed, dining options have changed. Most noticable was the change of 1st seating from 6.15 to 5.45. Pretty early, but still preferable to late imho. Late seating has been moved from 8.30 to 8pm.

~On the menu, I was MOST HAPPY to see that the tournados of beef have been added to the always available menu. The love Boat Dream is NOT on the AAvail menu. I have found this to be hit and missa t best from cruise to cruise.

~So far 2 waiters have recognized me from our last cruise in October, and the Captains Circle person recognized me by name! We had befriended her before, and I was so flattered she remembered me!

~We are in an inside on the Plaza desk (had to do this trip on the cheap), and it is very nice being so near the atrium! Room was stocked with all of the Elite ammenties, did not have to ask for anything!

~We had to stop and turn around on our way to Juneau last night for a medical evacuation, so we will ber arriving to Juneau 5 hours late, but staying a bit later as well. I personally do not care, as I was not planning on getting off of the ship anyway. But some people are mad. I guess it was not their father or son who was sick.

~The library has you check out the books. I to have found this to be hit and miss cruise to cruise. Whne I asked about it, I was told that they were losing a average of 50 books per cruise. Talk about bad karma, stealing library books!!!

I knew I would remember something else!!!

~After talking up to a cruise companion the $10 per day spa area with the tile beds and steam rooms, they have made some changes. You can know use it for 25 minutes at a time only, and the $10 per day is only good on the last day. The $70 for the cruise is still offered. I do not know how they monitor the 25 minutes. All I know is when we were on in October, nobody ever checked me to see if I had the sticker on my card to see if I even had paid to be in there!!! I will try to find out more details!!!

Let me know if anyone has any questions! I am happy to answer!!!

Casey

Thanks Casey for reporting in.

Have you tried the "tornados of beef" on the anytime menu? I tried it on the Sun last week and it did not taste good. It wasn't the same or cooked the same as the same item on formal night.

The love boat dream seems to be on the last night on the Alaskan menus (verses every night). Though, there are 4 souffles on the Alaskan menu - my favorite.

On the Sun Princess - Traditional dining was moved up in times also. Maybe an Alaskan thing?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Coral - you hit I on something I was afraid of! I almost ordered it last night, but instead I ordered the RPime Rib (which was excellent). I love the tournedos on formal night, and I was afraid they wouldnt match up - similar to how I felt the first time I ordered a NY Syeak in the Sterling Steakhose here in October! Not even close to the NY in the "pay for" Sterlings! Such a disappointment! Tonite is formal night, so later in the week I will order them again, and see how it is!

I am not a souffle lover, but my BIL said the Princess ones are the best he has ever eaten! Maybe those are more popular on this cooler internary.

Another couple random things...

~ There are only 15 Elite passengers on board. I was shocked! Becasue there are so few returning passengers (this was from Analie, the CC gal) there is only one cocktail party on Thursday.

~I remember there was some discussion on these boards about the freshness of the library books. I went in today and was able to check out a brand New James Patterson release "honeymoon". I almost bought this at Costco for the trip, and I am so glad I saved my $20 bucks! I noticed a few other brand new bestsellers in the "stacks". Must be to replace the stolen ones, mentioned above!

~GREAT movies to be played this week! (For me anyway) I am on my way to see "Meet the Fockers", and then there is the Aviator, In Good Company, and another new release I have been wanting to see. Thsi will save me a few trips to the renta store at home! (just another reason to love cruising!)

Casey

Hi Casey,

I was on the Diamond a month ago. Had a great time. If you happen to see either Gennaro or Igor (Bridge officers) tell them Michelle & Mindy say hi and hope they are having a great time in Alaska!

Casey, Thanks for your live updates from the Diamond. Great ship! :)

If you happen to go to Crooners please say hello to Carlos (bartender). Tell him his "American Wife misses him & his appletinis".................;)

ENJOY your cruise!!!:cool:

Hi! I will be on the Diamond in just a few weeks, the July 2 cruise. I will be reading your reports religiously...tell me everything.

Thank you so much for your reviews. Please keep them coming as we leave for the Diamond next Sat. 6/4. Really appreciate your insights! Thnaks!:)

Hi Coral,

Thanks for the live posts and the great tips. Enjoy that Patterson book...it is excellent! :D

Hi everyone! Well, tonite is formal night, and the tournadoes of beef were excellent, as usual. I will order it tommorrow night for comparison to see if it is the same as Coral found (not being as good of quality). The "Food and Beverage Area Supervisor" - not sure if that is the same as the "Maitre'D" came over tonite, and I asked when we were having the Love Boat dream. He said only the last night, but that he would put in an ongoing special request for me and have it delivered every night to me. I am very excited! Last time on the Carib Princess I had a not so good one the last night, so we shall see if it as good as I talked it up tp the table!!!

5.45 is really early to eat. It seems strange to have a good 3 hours of daylight after dinner is over!!!!

Casey

~We are in an inside on the Plaza desk (had to do this trip on the cheap), and it is very nice being so near the atrium! Room was stocked with all of the Elite ammenties, did not have to ask for anything!

QUOTE]

Hey Seattlekckckc!

I had a Plaza Inside near the Art gallery and loved the location. So quiet also.

I am wondering if you are further forward and under the theater. I am hoping to hear a report from someone regarding noise from the theater.

Thanks Casey! :)

I'm also going next, on the 4th! I'm hoping 5:45 isn't too early, but first seating is what we have! Please keep us informed! BTW, how is the weather????

Just wondering if the Pier 30 waiting area is covered or not. Wondering if we'll get soaked if it rains. Hope you're having a great time.

Can you give us an update on the dining situation? Specifically have they added at least some of the offerings that used to be available in the PC dining rooms to the regular menus?

Seattlekckckc,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post onboard! Please tell us more about the type of clothing you are seeing at dinner on both the formal and casual nights.

I am very interested in knowing what types of PC dining options are going on right now? So many different posts and Princess perhaps changing things wholesale. Formal night question was a good one too. How crowded is the gym on board? I heard its tough in the morning hours. Thanks for posting and I hope you are having a great cruise!

Any further comments from the wait staff on the rumor of them installing an actual Sterling Steak House at the rear of the Horizon Court????

Hey there! We are staying one day after the cruise in downtown seattle! How about recommending a non-chain restaurant for dinner??? We are from florida so we are going to be travelling a long way to get to the Diamond; I can hardly wait.

If you have a digital camera, could take pictures of some of the new menus and post them for us when you get home?

Thanks for your reports. They are really helpful.

Stazerd - oh, I have sooo many ideas - three questions:

1) Will you have a car?

2) How much do you want to spend?

3) What do you like to eat or never find where you live?

Eric, Who Eats Out In Seattle ~14 times/week

Hey there! We are staying one day after the cruise in downtown seattle! How about recommending a non-chain restaurant for dinner??? We are from florida so we are going to be travelling a long way to get to the Diamond; I can hardly wait.

Etta's or Cutter's - both right near Pikes Market

Still checking on the dining questions, and yes, I have a digital, so I will take sonme pics of the menus.

Wanted to let you all know, we are really delayed heading to JUneau after the medical emergency the first night. Head winds made it immposible to catch up. We were originally scheduled for noon-10pm. Then it was delayed to 5-11pm, and now we are not slated to arrive in Juneau until 7pm. All tours except 2 have been cancelled. Departure is at 11pm, so it isalmost not even worth stopping. But I am sure if they were to cancel it, people would be even more upset than they may be now. Juneau is not a favstop of mine anyway, so I am not overly concerned. There were about 100 people in line at the tour desk after the announcement however - I am assuming they want to get thelast few spots on the only tours.

Casey

That's too bad about Juneau. I know I would be disappointed.

One thing that this board has really done for me is prepare me for what can happen on a cruise. Weather happens, emergencies happen, life just happens. Sadly, I am sure I would have been one of the complainers. But, since I have read Cruise Critic and understand the reasons behind why these things happen, I know I will be a much more understanding, accomodating passenger. Go with the flow, baby! This will also improve my overall cruise experience, and keep me from ruining my DH's vacation. (He is such a patient man to deal with me. :p )

Glad you are enjoying your cruise. Thanks for the updates!

Casey, in your first post you mention your cabin was stocked with "all of the elite amenities". I am a Platinum and was not aware we get something different from other passengers. What amenities did you get?