Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andrea72

Conquest Review May 22-29 (LONG)

Or as I like to call it Quad C. "Cruising the Caribbean on the Conquest with a Cold"...more about this later.

We actually arrived in New Orleans on Saturday May 21 and stayed at the Royal St. Charles hotel. It was a great location (about a block off of the French Quarter) and reasonably priced (125 with taxes and such). I know nothing about its parking as we flew in, but it was great for walking to the French Quarter. We ate lunch at Margaritaville, toured around Jackson Square, gawked on Bourbon St. (I've been to NO several times, but this was my DH's first trip), had dinner at Mike Anderson's, and partied in the piano bar at Pat O'Brians. It was all a BLAST, and as always NO delivers the fun.

Now on to the actual cruise...

Embarkation:

We arrived at the port a little after 11:30 (we were stuck behind a train at the port for about 10 minutes. Weird timing for such a long train, but hey, it is all about the fun). Embarkation went as embarkation frequently does...line here, sit in a chair there, sit in another set of chairs, get a picture made, actually arrive on ship. We were up on Lido deck eating hot dogs and having a drink of the day by 1:00.

The ship:

We had a balcony room on deck 8, and it was nice being able to just go up and down one flight to get to the Lido. I was on the Conquest for her first sailing back in 2002, and she is still a beautiful ship. She probably needs to go to dry dock soon (August I believe), but the crew have done a nice job of keeping her up and only a few things here and there showed some wear. Nothing big, and nothing that would detract.

Oh, here is a tip for those of you who want to sit in lounge chairs to read but don't do sun (I love the sun; DH not so much). Surrounding deck 3 there are cushioned lounge chairs and you can sit and watch the ocean and there is usually a nice breeze. DH spent some quality time there while I soaked up rays.

First two days (days at sea):

I'm normally an early riser so doing deck chair wars was not a problem. I beat most people to the punch; the only difference is I actually stayed in my chair as opposed to my flip flops or what have you. They have some fun activities on deck and all was a great time. However, I had decided to try the wine tasting and relinquished my chair to a very grateful woman around noon. That was okay though, because I still ended up with a nice tan. DH and I did the wine tasting two days and found it very informative and met some nice people there (I should probably mention DH and I are in our early 30's). The sea days always pass quickly for me. Formal night was fun on the first big day at sea. I love seeing everyone dressed up.

Montego Bay:

This was when my cold hit, and I use the term cold as an alternative to the apt description of slow suffocation by your own mutinous body. This was my 8th cruise and the first I've been sick, so I guess I was due. It just sucked. So, hubby and I decided to forget Sunset Beach :( and went instead to Margaritaville because we weren't going to stay out long. Let me add that our cruise was filled with over 200 18 year olds on senior trips. Overall these "kids" were well behaved, but had a tendency to take over any place that they went just by sheer numbers. Oh, and they were drinking...a lot actually...and had no knowledge of limits. Lets just say that Margaritaville was something to experience. The young lady that shared our cab back to the Conquest may or may not have made it back out by Friday...I can't say for sure.

Grand Cayman:

I was continuing to push through my cold, and tendered into the Grand Cayman (along with 4 other cruise ships in port). We did some light shopping, saw how badly the island had been hit by the hurricane, realized how crowded 5 ships in port can be, and went back on ship. I've done the sting ray tour before with Captain Marvin, so it wasn't necessary on this trip (and thank heaven because I could have drowned with the cold).

This night we truly discovered the piano bar and Ron "the piano guy". He is awesome, and such a great performer. He is very personable, and we had a blast listening to him play. The 18 year olds (and a few current college students) only made a few appearances to sing F*** you, Alabama sung to the ditty Sweet Home, Alabama. Being from Texas we had no loyalty either way, but we are ornery. So, we joined forces with a couple of Alabama grads (also in their 30's) and sang Roll Tide Roll. It went against my Aggie nature to sing for another university, but I just felt it necessary.

Cozumel:

I love this port. I just do. Beautiful water. Friendly people. Oh, and I was starting to feel much better. We did some shopping. Normally, I would have snorkelled, but I didn't want to push it. I've done the Fury Catamaran twice, and I recommend that for people who like a good party. At about 5, we headed to deck 3 for the show. The show was watching all the people from Carlos & Charlies, Senior Frogs, Fat Tuesday, and the Catamarans try to stumble back onto ship. As always, our performers did not disappoint, and I laughed heartily at the poor individuals who were feeling no pain at that point (later I'm sure they did...and the dining rooms were REALLY empty that night).

Karaoke and piano bar in the evening. Much fun had by all.

Last day at Sea:

Activities galore. They really pack it in the last day. I have to say that Todd (cruise director) did a great job, and I've sailed with some great CD's. He kept things moving. He had an easy way about him, and he seemed to sincerely enjoy his job (including jokes I'm sure he's told a million times by now. He was a true performer).

A side note: I didn't go to the Point myself, but my table mates did and they loved it for those of you interested. It is $30 per person now, but my table mates felt it was well worth it.

Debarkation:

We were in no hurry (our flight left at 4:00 p.m.) so we were among the last to leave. I have to say, debarkation was a mess once you left the ship. People were arriving for the next cruise. No one knew where to get a taxi. It had an every man for himself type atmosphere, so my DH and I removed ourselves from the situation. We took our bags through the Riverwalk Mall, walked over to Embassy Suites (not a long walk) and caught a cab there. It worked for us.

Overall:

Make sure to stop by the piano bar and see Ron (he leaves some time in July. Shortly there after he'll be on the Liberty).

Make sure to bring some sort of cold medication with you. This could be your fate too (I'm a teacher and am able to withstand most viruses, but I was caught this time. BTW Ron came down with a cold too around the same time as myself so it must have been a doozy.)

If you like wine, go to the wine tastings in the Point. It costs a little, but I found the knowledge worth every penny.

It was a great time. I'd rather be sick on a ship than well at work that's for sure :)

I hope all this helps. If I've forgotten something or you have questions, let me know.

Good points Andrea, thank you for your review. We'll be sailing the Conquest next Sunday, 6/5, taking DW, DD, & DS (our first cruise). We're running fever this week, so hopefully that'll be out of our system by then.

Thanks again.

:D

To bad you were sick that sucks we are going on the Conquest on Aug 14 with my husband and my 4 kids and my sons girlfriend we have been before to the western side but never to mobay which we are going to sunset nothing else seems to grab at me and with the kids dont want to be bothered by the locals thanks for the review sounds great.I think before I go we will all drink some airborne .

Thank you for your review! Can you give more info on the wine tasting? Was there a charge and how often does this take place? Thank you.

We'll be there on the 7th of Aug! and having a tough time waiting :D

Thanks for your review--sorry you were sick but it sounds like you had a good time despite it! that's the attitude! :)

Andrea - Thank you for your great review! We're staying at the Royal St. Charles pre-cruise as well; how was the room?

Sorry you were sick. We also had a great time at the piano bar, I can't remember the last time I stayed our until 1am! Great review.

I'd like to ditto the follow-up pricing question about the wine tasting! I've always wanted to try that, and the cruise would be a great time.

Thank you for the review. It was very helpful. I am not going until Thanksgiving, but I am avidly reading everything I can find!

Thanks for the review!! Having a cold on vacation is not fun!! Your tip about taking cold meds is a great one! I would not have thought of it. I do plan to take an RX of antibiotics "just in case" as Dh is a Dr. Can you tell me anything about the 80's theme night and what kinds of things people were wearing. IS this a deck party?? Our group really likes to participate and would love more info on this. We sail June 26th. Thanks!

We were on the Rhapsody in Cozumel with you guys, and it seemed like there was a problem with getting folks back on the ship. We noticed quite a crowd on the pier, and it was still there as we were leaving. Any idea what happened? We thought that maybe the computer system was having problems, and they were having to check folks in manually.

NYBumpkin: The room at the Royal St. Charles was nice. It was clean and layed out nicely. It wasn't huge, but I didn't care about that. They offered us a key to the minibar, but we didn't need it because we were going to the FQ anyway. They have a safe in case you want to lock up valuables (it works similar to the ones on a cruise ship, and has the directions written with it). It was located in one of the bed side cabinets in our room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to New Orleans who wishes to spend time in the FQ.

Tricktson & BottledRed: The wine tastings are offered on all the at sea days. It costs $8 per person (plus gratuity) and they give you 4 different wines with some cheese & fruit (2 whites and 2 reds). Each wine tasting covers different wines so you could potentially go to all 3 (the first one for us was American wines, the second dealt with French wines, and the third was going to be different pinot grigios or champagne...she hadn't decided yet and we ended up not going to the last one).

TxStacey: Okay, my sailing is not going to be the best to give you information about how involved everyone was on the 80's themed night as we had so many high school seniors who were barely born in the 80's. However, they did encourage people to dress up (very few did, but the crew said they normally have more). The disco was the main focus for 80's night and they played all sorts of 70's and 80's music. The big party was the Mardis Gras night as everyone, including the seniors, got involved in this. That one was a deck party. Here's what I suggest...encourage everyone in your group to dress up and have fun with it and it will become contagious throughout the boat. That is what I found a lot. People followed the fun :)

Scarletene: Here is the deal in Cozumel...everyone waited until the last possible minute to get on board. There was no computer problem. We were told to be back by 5:30...so everyone was back at about 5:15 or so...and I do mean EVERYONE. Both catamarans came back at that time, everyone from all the bars, everyone. It was fun to watch as long as you weren't standing in the lines. They even had two lines open, and we were still having trouble accomodating all the late arrivals. So, no real story just no one wanted to leave Cozumel.

Anyone else with a question :)

Andrea,

One more question... In Cozumel did you dock near Fat Tuesday's or the other dock that you have to walk through the "mall" to get a taxi? Sorry I don't know the names of the piers there.. Thanks

Well, there was a duty free mall you had to walk through, but just on the other side there was a Fat Tuesdays, so I'm afraid that I can't help so much. It is where Carnival docks usually. It is across from Royal Caribbean (a little further down). I don't know the name either. I just tell the taxi to take me to the Conquest, and they always know where to go.

Thanks Andrea, you answered my question. That's the same pier we docked at when I sailed the Celebration a couple of years ago. We were at the other one last year when we sailed the Elation. I like the one that the Conquest goes to better!! Thanks:) That's good news!

Thanks for the nice comments. I had fun, too. Finally getting over the cold, but too slowly for my liking. Sniffle, sniffle...

I leave the Conquest on July 10. My sister and her husband will be on for that last cruise, so hopefully it'll be a good send-off for my trip to Italy to board the Liberty.

Happy summer everyone!

Ron

:D

Thanks for the nice comments. I had fun, too. Finally getting over the cold, but too slowly for my liking. Sniffle, sniffle...

I leave the Conquest on July 10. My sister and her husband will be on for that last cruise, so hopefully it'll be a good send-off for my trip to Italy to board the Liberty.

Happy summer everyone!

Ron

SOCIAL!!!!!!:D

Thanks for the review!! Having a cold on vacation is not fun!! Your tip about taking cold meds is a great one! I would not have thought of it. I do plan to take an RX of antibiotics "just in case" as Dh is a Dr. Can you tell me anything about the 80's theme night and what kinds of things people were wearing. IS this a deck party?? Our group really likes to participate and would love more info on this. We sail June 26th. Thanks!

Hi TxStacey,

I am interupting your regularly scheduled cruise programming for a public service question/announcement...We will return to our cruise programming shortly......

Nurse here....asking a question. Why would you take a RX of antibiotics? If your husband is a MD, he should know that antibiotics are not for colds or other viruses. Antibioitics are for bacteria. Colds or other viral syndromes are not bacteria. Cold medicines are great. They are designed to reduce the symptoms of a cold and help us feel better while the cold virus runs it course.

Travelers diarrhea is caused by bacteria and for that you need antibiotics, if severe and persistant.

People die every day from infections caused by antibiotic resistant bacteria. Antibiotic resistant bacteria have resulted from mutations in bacteria caused by people taking antibiotics when they are not needed.

Sorry to interupt the regularly scheduled programing for a public service announcement.

Now back to out regularly scheduled cruise program.....

Happy cruising and I hope none of you get sick on your cruises. I can emapthize. I was miserable sick 3 years ago on a Princess cruise for DH and my 10th wedding anniversary cruise. Let me just say it sucked!

Great review, Andrea. Thanks. DH and I are soon cruising on the Valor. I understand that the Conquest is a "sister ship"

Happy crusing to all,

Kathy

Hi TxStacey,

I am interupting your regularly scheduled cruise programming for a public service question/announcement...We will return to our cruise programming shortly......

Nurse here....asking a question. Why would you take a RX of antibiotics? If your husband is a MD, he should know that antibiotics are not for colds or other viruses. Antibioitics are for bacteria. Colds or other viral syndromes are not bacteria. Cold medicines are great. They are designed to reduce the symptoms of a cold and help us feel better while the cold virus runs it course.

Travelers diarrhea is caused by bacteria and for that you need antibiotics, if severe and persistant.

People die every day from infections caused by antibiotic resistant bacteria. Antibiotic resistant bacteria have resulted from mutations in bacteria caused by people taking antibiotics when they are not needed.

Sorry to interupt the regularly scheduled programing for a public service announcement.

Now back to out regularly scheduled cruise program.....

Happy cruising and I hope none of you get sick on your cruises. I can emapthize. I was miserable sick 3 years ago on a Princess cruise for DH and my 10th wedding anniversary cruise. Let me just say it sucked!

Great review, Andrea. Thanks. DH and I are soon cruising on the Valor. I understand that the Conquest is a "sister ship"

Happy crusing to all,

Kathy

Nurse Kathy,

As you must know, antibiotics are useful for MANY things and yes we know they are not good for colds...However, DD and I are VERY susceptable to sinus infections, which is treated with an antibiotic. No, we wouldn't take them unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY however, it is nice that we are simply able to bring some if we need them. That is all I was referring to. So you musn't worry..DH knows about the complications, risks/benefits of antibiotics. :)

Nurse Kathy,

As you must know, antibiotics are useful for MANY things and yes we know they are not good for colds...However, DD and I are VERY susceptable to sinus infections, which is treated with an antibiotic. No, we wouldn't take them unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY however, it is nice that we are simply able to bring some if we need them. That is all I was referring to. So you musn't worry..DH knows about the complications, risks/benefits of antibiotics. :)

TxStacey,

Thanks for clarifying. Your use in the case of a sinus infection is absolutely correct. Hopefully someone out there will benefit from the discussion the two of us have had. Thanks for helping me out.

Happy cruising, Kathy