Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BIG DADDY ONE

Review of Conquest May 8 sailing

This is a copy of what I sent to Carnival:

Cruise Notes Conquest May 8, 2005

Check in at New Orleans was as good as could be expected. It was not any worse than at any other terminal I have been to. This was my second time on this ship. I remember her being big, but I forgot how big! She is also a beautiful piece of art.

We will start with the food items, as this seems to be most important

The sushi bar has an excellent variety and the quality is above expectations, but the sizes of the pieces are much too large. Some were large enough for 3 bites. This is much easier to handle in smaller, bite size portions. Some of these were over 2 inches in diameter.

The Point. Enough said. It is every thing it is advertised to be. This concept should be added to all ships in the fleet. The service, the atmosphere, the music, the Sommelier, the food, the portions, the experience, and not to mention the quality should be shared by all cruisers. We would opt for one of these dinners on any other Carnival ship it is offered.

The wine seminars

This also should be offered on all other Carnival ships. We have been on many other ships in the fleet and attended the wine tasting on sea days, but it is nothing compared to an education on wines, as you taste them. There are many small-unused rooms available for this to be accomplished. It need not be in a dining room atmosphere, but if that is necessary a small portion of one of the dining rooms could be used.

The buffet lines-Cézanne Dining room

Breakfast is always a good time in this area. The lunches were also very good and had a good variety of choices. There was always something for a Diabetic (me), even sweets. The dinners were the only disappointment. The sirloin steak offered one night was very eye appealing, but tough as boot leather. It also was very dry and was the topic of discussion by all that tried it. We also found more times than not, the wrapped silverware was missing the spoon! Overall the buffet lines were just adequate, not exceptional.

The main dining room- Monet

We were on the late sitting, by choice. We had an exceptional table at the very back with a window view. Our wait staff was very good. Our waitperson was Zuzana. Their attention was what we have become accustomed to expect from Carnival. One negative I may have is that some of the dishes were not as hot (heat, not spice) as I would have preferred. The other negative I have to report is that the Assistant Matre’d NEVER came by the table. On all other cruises that I remember he/she came by at least once on the cruise. And he expects a tip? I don’t think so! The same holds true for the Matre’d. If he expects to be tipped, then Carnival needs to explain to us why he deserves one. It is my understanding he is a paid employee and not dependent upon tips. If he is dependent upon tips he did not seem to do anything out of the ordinary to receive one. Remember a tip needs to be earned and not expected for normal service. Overall the dining experience was very good.

This cruise ran out of iced tea with two days left. We were told it was being reserved for the main dining rooms. It was not available anywhere else on board.

The grill

The hamburgers and hot dogs were excellent. The steak was tough. They shut down too early in the day. There was one instance where we walked up and there was food still there but they said they were closed and we watched as they threw the food in the trash! Please consider leaving this open maybe just one more hour longer in the day.

The ship

Our room, an outside cabin, was very large by comparison to others we have had. It also is larger outside than on other outsides we have had. This is nice. It had a sofa and a refrigerator, which we also enjoyed. All rooms should have these. Our room attendant, Bertel was all we expect from a room attendant on a cruise.

The main deck band, or should I say noise! It was terrible and definitely too loud, probably to hide their poor quality. We feel that Carnival needs to remember that loud does not mean better. But to be fair to the Conquest, we are finding this to be more common on most of the ships we have been on. Please listen to us and do something about this.

We have noticed one thing that needs to be brought to the attention of highest management. Bob Dickinson needs to send some undercover people to investigate, as this will drive cruisers away from this ship. The attitude of the Carnival employees on this ship is the worst of all other cruises combined that we have been on. They are almost unfriendly!

Scheduled events rarely were on time. The events themselves were overall very good, but late.

Time allowed at ports was too short. On most of the stops we were the first ship out and we saw many of the same ships at our next port. They were allowed extra shore time, why cant the Carnival ships?

Please read the negatives as a way you can improve as we DID have a very good overall experience. We will and cruise again and we already have reservations on another cruise. Please follow thru with my comments to continue to improve a very good and appreciated product you offer to us.

I recently went into Carnival's FAQ section on tips and found this:

The total amount will be $10 per guest, per day, which breaks down as follows:

$5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter and Waiter)

$1 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)

$3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)

Tipping the Maitre D' is strictly at guest's discretion, based upon services rendered. For guests who wish to extend this gratuity in cash, an envelope will be available on the last evening of the cruise.

Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or

Apparently the Maitre D' is no longer included in our tip breakdown, and is at our discrestion.

By the way--sounds like you had a great time--we're 69 days and counting on conquest and i can't stand myself anymore! :D can't wait til i finally get aboard--

Apparently the Maitre D' is no longer included in our tip breakdown, and is at our discrestion.

Yes, this is true. We never see the Maitre D' until the last night of the cruise....with his hand out! Where was he all week? And he expects a tip?? I know he has a big job, overseeing the dining room and all that that entails. But isn't he salaried? I don't know, it just bothers me when he's invisible all week and then expects a tip.

Yes, this is true. We never see the Maitre D' until the last night of the cruise....with his hand out! Where was he all week? And he expects a tip?? I know he has a big job, overseeing the dining room and all that that entails. But isn't he salaried? I don't know, it just bothers me when he's invisible all week and then expects a tip.

Big Daddyone writes: The other negative I have to report is that the Assistant Matre’d NEVER came by the table. On all other cruises that I remember he/she came by at least once on the cruise. And he expects a tip? I don’t think so! The same holds true for the Matre’d. If he expects to be tipped, then Carnival needs to explain to us why he deserves one. It is my understanding he is a paid employee and not dependent upon tips. If he is dependent upon tips he did not seem to do anything out of the ordinary to receive one. Remember a tip needs to be earned and not expected for normal service. Overall the dining experience was very good.

this is why i posted the info--in response to his remarks about the "Maitre D" I am glad they changed the policy too.