Tip to steward on Christmas Day...how much?

lumpkin8

I was planning on giving an envelope with a small tip for our room steward as a "gift" on xmas day (will leave on the normal tips on our room charge also of course). I was wondering what amount other people have given as a cash xmas gift when sailing on 12/25?

Thanks.

I was planning on giving an envelope with a small tip for our room steward as a "gift" on xmas day (will leave on the normal tips on our room charge also of course). I was wondering what amount other people have given as a cash xmas gift when sailing on 12/25?

Thanks.

What makes you think he or she celebrates Christmas?

MLE, the steward does not need to celebrate Christmas in order to know that it is a popular holiday during which time gifts are often exchanged. I don't celebrate the holiday but participate in gift exchanges with some people. Those in the service industry often receive gifts at this time regardless of what they personally celebrate, because of the widespread custom.

JoeyAncho, thanks for your suggestion.

MLE, the steward does not need to celebrate Christmas in order to know that it is a popular holiday during which time gifts are often exchanged. I don't celebrate the holiday but participate in gift exchanges with some people. Those in the service industry often receive gifts at this time regardless of what they personally celebrate, because of the widespread custom.

Agree. I don't care which holidays the crew celebrates. If I'm feeling festive and cheerful and want to share my happiness with a hardworking crew member, so be it.

I agree iwth $20. And the "what makes you think they celebrate Christmas" comment is strictly meant to annoy I"m sure, so just ignore it.

I agree iwth $20. And the "what makes you think they celebrate Christmas" comment is strictly meant to annoy I"m sure, so just ignore it.

I dont think the comment was meant to annoy.

but it was something to think about.

The people who work on the ships come from many different countries and cultures. Some dont celebrate our holidays.

I think a thank you card instead of a christmas card would be better.

I'm curious what one would give them should they be sailing on their stewards high holy days, who celebrate a different deity?

Worst case scenario: Would you really want to take the chance of offending your cabin steward by forcing your customs and traditions, and by extension, your religion, upon him/her?

On the surface, a seemingly harmless, kind gesture. But one must think of the unintended consequences.

Worst case scenario: Would you really want to take the chance of offending your cabin steward by forcing your customs and traditions, and by extension, your religion, upon him/her?

On the surface, a seemingly harmless, kind gesture. But one must think of the unintended consequences.

Since the steward and other workers on the ship work for $$, I doubt very seriously that she/he will be offended by extra cash even if they do not celebrate the occasion.

I think a small present, like chocolates, would be more appropriate and they could share them with their mates. Your relationship shouldn't be all about money and service.

money is better and more appreicated-.

For one- you know nothing about allergies

The OP is not suggesting she leave a bible story about the first Christmas. He/she even said that they dont personally celebrate the holiday itself, but do participate in gift exchanges in the spirit of the season. Leaving a card that says "Deck The Halls" or something of the like (NOT all CHristmas cards are religious, many say "Winter Wonderland" or something like that) with a cash tip, which everyone knows cash is highly appreciated by the hard-working stewards.

I think a small present, like chocolates, would be more appropriate and they could share them with their mates. Your relationship shouldn't be all about money and service.

I agree with another poster that this is not necessarily a good idea.

Would you rather have a box of chocolates or cash?

Your "relationship" with the steward is pretty much about service on our end, ... and money on his/hers.

I don't see where the OP is forcing a custom on the steward. Now if they're tucking cash in the Bible ... .

I see it as a thoughful gesture on the OP's part.

Since the steward and other workers on the ship work for $$, I doubt very seriously that she/he will be offended by extra cash even if they do not celebrate the occasion.

Offended, probably not. But imagine being in the service industry and getting something extra mid October not for your good service, but because of that patrons holiday.

If you want to give something then a $20 would be just fine. I wouldn't give candy or little presents.

Here at home we purposely give those extra $20s to service people waaay before Christmas(when it is more of a surprise) as a token of our appreciation. We want the gift to be a special thank you from our hearts and not just because it is "customary".

We cruised over Christmas ... They don't care regardless. We tipped the room stewards and kids club members with a seasons greeting card.

We also knew when the staff party was and purposefully asked the room stewards not to do our evening turn down bc they were free to go to the party once they were done with the evening 'jobs'. It could be different on CCL bc we were on a 14 day HAL cruise though.

I've always felt that there are two Christmases, the religious one and the commercial / secular one (think Santa Claus). I see absolutely no harm in giving a $20 bill as a Christmas gift to your steward. I can assure you that they would prefer cash over a box of candy or whatever else, and will not be offended!

Heck, I've had Jewish friends who put up Christmas trees!

Here's some reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_worldwide

Archived