Bonaire first timer

Louiangel

We are going on our first ever cruise in December 2012 and haven't made any firm decisions about excursions. What we do know is we won't be able to do excursions at every port and Bonaire is possibly one of these such ports (I am not a huge snorkeller). Therefore could anyone please provide any info about beaches close to the port, taxi's, fees for using loungers and facilities? We are complete novices to cruising but not to the Caribbean and will be looking for something fairly cheap to do.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Have you considered Bonaire Vista Tours?

We will be making our first visit to Bonaire in February 2013.

I have throughly researched land options, and Bonaire Vista Tours stands out!

Wonderful, fantastic reviews. The tour is limited to only about 15 people.

And the cost for the 3 hour island tour: a mere $25! Unheard of.

IMO, this sounds like THE tour to take at Bonaire. I contacted the couple who

conducts this excursion, Barbel and Brian, about a Feb 2013 reservation.

Their morning tour was already completely booked; I was fortunate to reserve

the afternoon one.

From my research, I believe that Bonaire has much more to offer, than some of the dismal

comments that have been made about it. None of the caribbean islands are the same.

Uniqueness is something to cherish, IMO.

We are going on our first ever cruise in December 2012 and haven't made any firm decisions about excursions. What we do know is we won't be able to do excursions at every port and Bonaire is possibly one of these such ports (I am not a huge snorkeller). Therefore could anyone please provide any info about beaches close to the port, taxi's, fees for using loungers and facilities? We are complete novices to cruising but not to the Caribbean and will be looking for something fairly cheap to do.

Thanks

Be HAPPY about your port stop in Bonaire! :)

Do look at what your ship is offering there for excursions. Might be lots less expensive than you think if you basically want to go to the beach. See if one is offered to Spice Beach Club for about $30 pp.

We were in Bonaire once on a morning port stop. Just walking around town was very pleasant. Views of the water are beautiful!

~~~~

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

I want to relate my experience to you. I just completed a southern Caribbean voyage that stopped in Bonaire, Aruba, St.Lucia, Babrados among others. My best day was in Bonaire.

I had prebooked a snorkeling excursion with Woodwind based on all the good reviews here on CC. I have no snorkel experience. Luckily, while at St.Lucia and unbeknowst to me, the excurison I was on included snorkeling. I met a couple who instructed me as to what to do and while I panicked very much my first time in the water, I felt confident by days end.

The Woodwind excursion on Bonaire was outstanding. They divide the guests into categories based on experience and I wanted to go with those with no experience but since there were too many, I was assigned to the intermediate group. My limitations and concerns were addressed, and the group guide stayed by me all the time in the water, and I was given a float belt to assist while in the water. The underwater views were amazing. The guide would describe as much as he could.

On the return back to Bonaire, cheese, fruit, and other snacks were served. Alochol and non alochol drinks were served on the sail from and to Bonaire. The owner Dee is passionate about her island and it is clearly evident.

You stated you are not snorklers but neither was I. If/when I return to Bonaire, I will do this same excursion again. It was memorable and well worth the reasonable cost. Bonaire turned out to be the one island I did not want to leave.

Thanks

Was on Bonaire in 2006. grabbed a taxi at the pier and asked the driver to take us to the best beach. He took us to Lac Bay, driver said this was nicer than Pink Beach, he asked for $20.00 for 5 of us. he picked us up at 3 in the aft and got us back to ship, even took the scenic route. Lac Bay was beautiful. lots of windsurfers to watch when not in the water. huge beach chair rentals were $5 each. the only other thing is that Lac Bay is topless beach. hope this helps

:D

Was the woodwind snorkeling of a beach.

The Woodwind snorkel is not at a beach. You leave Bonaire via sail boat and travel to Klein Bonaire. From the boat, you enter the water. It is a drift snorkel...the current takes you to the end point where the sail boat is waiting for your return trip to Bonaire.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

We had a wonderful and inexpensive tour from Bonaire Vista Tours. They are the nicest people!

Also available on Bonaire is a day pass at the Plaza Resort. When we were there, the resort had people at the pier that would take you to the nearby resort in a van. +/- $25 p.p. for day pass and chair, I believe.

• 2 months later...

The Plaze Resort is very nice for a beach & for snorkeling. We walked there and really enjoyed it. It is very quiet & tranqui. l I have heard Eden Beach is also very nice for both beach & snorkel.

• 5 weeks later...

We booked Bonaire Vista Tours in March and had a great tour of the island. We were 6 people and I booked on line. When we arrived on Bonaire it was sold out, so book ahead. We were very happy with our 3 hour tour. Afterwards, one of our group walked to Spice Beach. She enjoyed snorkeling there. The others wandered around town or went back to the ship. Now that we;ve seen the island we want to go back and snorkel.

• 6 months later...

Archived