• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Where was everyone?

Last week we sailed the Radiance to Alaska . Beautiful ship and GREAT cruise.

I participated in a few activities that were VERY sparsely attended. The back stage tour was attended by less then 10 and the ship walking art tour (not auction art) was attended by only 3. Out of 2000 passengers, this seems low to me. These activities were held on sea days, one mid morning and the other mid afternoon, so being off the ship was not an issue.

Anyone else come across this situation?

Marci

Attendance at your back-stage tour was better than ours! We sailed on the Voyager this past February. The ship was full. Out of about 3000 passengers, DH & I were the only couple who participated in the back-stage tour. We spent an enjoyable hour back-stage - learned alot and enjoyed our one-on-one chat with the performers. After reading your comments, perhaps events like this will be discontinued due to lack of interest. That would be a shame.

How does one find out about the back stage tours? Is it listed in the Compass? I know my stepdaughter and her friend would be very interested in this when we're on the Serenade in September. We are only Gold C&A members.....does that make a difference?

Last week we sailed the Radiance to Alaska . Beautiful ship and GREAT cruise.

I participated in a few activities that were VERY sparsely attended. The back stage tour was attended by less then 10 and the ship walking art tour (not auction art) was attended by only 3. Out of 2000 passengers, this seems low to me. These activities were held on sea days, one mid morning and the other mid afternoon, so being off the ship was not an issue.

Anyone else come across this situation?

Marci

No personal experience. From reading other posts about Meet and Mingle, it seems some of these are sparsely attended as well - even though people sign up in advance.

The tour was listed in the Compass. When we got there learned it was postponed because rehearsals were running slower than expected. It was rescheduled for the last sea day.

C&A level is not a factor - anyone can attend. Just check the daily compass. I don’t recall seeing the back stage tours listed on some of the other RCCL ships I’ve been on (Mariner, Splendour, Grandeur, Sovereign, Nordic Empress). Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention.

I have not written a review as there is not much more to say than what is already out there. The ship was magnificent, lots of glass, open space and art. (I am not one to look for complaints like a stain on the carpet.). We lucked out with the weather and had mainly warm sunny days – a plus for Alaska in mid-May. Overall we were pleased. Check out cruiseclues dot com as there are numerous reviews and photo albums of the ship.

We did one excursion from the ship (White Pass Rail) and two independent (whale watching and float plane) and were pleased with all three.

Marci

I went on the Backstage tour on Splendour this past April. I think it may be a fairly new "activity". They do have a similar thing with the " Academy at Sea" on longer cruises which takes place over 3 or 4 days (one hour or so per day). The Academy at Sea has been around for awhile. The Backstage tour is kind of a mini version of this.

As to why more people don't attend these things, I think a lot of folks just don't read the Compass carefully or are just more interested in the more traditional cruise activities, ie. eating, drinking, vegging out, etc.. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!!!!

CruiseGirl,

I am so happy you had a great time and that our weather cooperated with you! We have had the most beautiful May I remember.... warm and sunny. Glad you got to enjoy it. :)

elleluv

Cruisegirl1, thanks for the info. I think this is the 3rd time I've read about the backstage offering. Everyone raves about it, but each time they've said it's poorly attended. Maybe the CD doesn't do enough to promote it? It's something I would definitely be interested in, as would my mom and sis who are cruising with me. We leave on Saturday, the forecast is "iffy" at best, but whatever the weather, we'll have a blast! Thanks again.

Amanda:D

Actually – I don’t recall the CD mentioning it at all, (as well as not mentioning the art tour, cooking demonstration or ice carving). He did mention, MANY TIMES, to play bingo and attend the art auction. :)

Marci

Marci, so are those things (art tour, ice carving, cooking demo) in the Compass? Is that how you find out about them? I've got my highlighters all ready to go (a different color for each of us!) so we'll know when we need to be somewhere.:D

Marci, so are those things (art tour, ice carving, cooking demo) in the Compass? Is that how you find out about them? I've got my highlighters all ready to go (a different color for each of us!) so we'll know when we need to be somewhere.:D

Amanda - everything will be in your Compass. Get those highlighters ready!:D

Archived