momonthego17

Bethany and Craig's Family T-Day Cruise on Liberty w/ Pics!

A year has passed since our last cruise and my family, plus my mom, decided to take another cruise over Thanksgiving. Here’s the family breakdown: my DH Craig , Bethany, my two DDs Cat (12), Skylar (10) and my mom Karen. My mom had never been on a cruise before and was nervous about being on a big ship, but once she saw how much fun we had on our Thanksgiving cruise last year, she said she wanted to go as well! I picked Liberty because the cruise week was over Thanksgiving , the itinerary had two ports Roatan and Belize that we had never traveled to, and I could book staterooms across the hall from each other.

cozshippic_zps59e71741.jpg

The family ready to go!

Friday, November 16 – Day before Embarkation

We packed the car full of suitcases and us and proceeded south. About twelve hours later, we were checking into our Miami hotel, Red Roof Inn at the Miami airport. I picked this location because they had free parking for 14 days, continental breakfast, we could have 5 people in our room and there was a free shuttle to the port. The room was fine, nothing fancy. We drank champagne to celebrate the beginning of our vacation and relaxed watching some TV. I thought the air traffic from the airport would keep us up, but thankfully it didn’t. I was woken up by a loud group of people yammering in the hallway at 3:15 am. They went away after 20 minutes.

Saturday, November 17 - Embarkation

Woke up to nice weather and grabbed some pastries and bagels with juice and coffee. There was a hotel cat that wandered around the pool area. My girls named her “Cloudy” for her gray fur. We decided to take the shuttle and not call a cab because the Yellow Cab company stated that we could not get a van for 5 and would have to accept two cabs, even though their ad states they have vans and that you can reserve them. Not so, when you get to Miami. The noon hotel shuttle was great although it delivered us to the port around 12:30, and we were hoping to get to the port around 11:00. I had purchased Faster to the Fun passes for both our rooms, which would have allowed us boarding with Platinum and Diamond passengers and immediate access to our staterooms with luggage already there. Unfortunately, the gentleman checking us in had issues with the sign and sail card printer so we watched others go on board for 30 minutes. We finally were able to walk on board and went straight to our cabins, 6473 and 6477. Craig and I had a premier balcony and Mom and the girls had an interior across the hall. Our balcony cabin was configured differently from our past balcony cabins.

room2_zps2d0250ec.jpg

Bed facing windows

Edited by momonthego17

Great review, but I can't see the pictures?:( Any chance you could just put them in the body of the review?

Great review, but I can't see the pictures?:( Any chance you could just put them in the body of the review?

Can you see them now? I think I fixed it...:D

deckotherway_zps6e1a2028.jpg

Craig relaxing on balcony

The bed faced the windows to the balcony and there were little inset spaces throughout the cabin. We used them to keep shoes out of the way. We met our stateroom attendant, Joaquim who said we could call him Joe. He kept us in ice and was helpful and charming all cruise long. We settled in, then went upstairs for some lunch. We all decided to try the Mongolian Wok, which was yummy! We strolled around the ship, checking out the Silver Main Dining Room, the Venetian Theatre, and the Video Arcade. I knew my girls would want to spend time there!

arcade_zps449cffed.jpg

Cat at the arcade

skyarcade_zpsf93b18e7.jpg

Sky racing to the finish

Edited by momonthego17

After muster, we went to the bar at the Aft Lido pool, our appointed spot for our CC meet n greet. I chatted with GirlsCruise2011 and Perkeo. It was nice to put faces to CC names. The pool skylight was closed up so it was too stuffy to hang out. Sail away was great. The DJ played fun music that everyone tried to line dance to, the mega TV screen above the pool flashed “Adios Miami, Hello Fun!” and we watched Miami drift further away as we cruised away from port. Very pretty!

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k576/momonthego17b/DSC01187.jpg[/img]

Adios Miami!

Craig and I decided to try the Martini Tasting at the Alchemy Bar before our late seating at dinner. We had a choice of four mini martinis out of a selection of seven for a special of $16 instead of the usual $17. We picked Spicy Chipotle Pineapple Martini, Caribbean Manhattan, Curative Peach Cosmopolitan and Radical Cure. My favorite was the Spicy Chipotle and our least favorite was the Radical Cure. The spicy with the sweet pineapple was very tasty. We chatted with a nice family then went to gather our gang for dinner.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k576/momonthego17b/alchemybar_zps20600a6a.jpg[/img]

Martini tasting at The Alchemy Bar

I can’t say enough about our wait staff in the Silver MDR! We sat near the back of the dining room at a table for four with an additional chair put at the end for Craig. From the first moment, Yoseph, Borka and Septa entertained us, took care of us and made us feel like extended family. My girls were sad to leave at the end of the cruise, primarily because they knew that it was unlikely they would ever see our wait staff on a future cruise. I told them there is always a chance our paths may cross again!

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k576/momonthego17b/borka_zps88d99878.jpg[/img]

Borka with a special “hat”

I started off with Caesar salad, salmon for my entrée and crème brulee for dessert. Oink. We had a bottle of Pinot Grigio from our wine package. Everything was tasty. We went to the Welcome Aboard show, which was lively and entertaining. The comics were very funny. We made our way back to our staterooms and spent a little time on the balcony, then collapsed into bed. We could hear the club below us one floor but it didn’t stop us from sleeping.

Edited by momonthego17

After muster, we went to the bar at the Aft Lido pool, our appointed spot for our CC meet n greet. I chatted with GirlsCruise2011 and Perkeo. It was nice to put faces to CC names. The pool skylight was closed up so it was too stuffy to hang out. Sail away was great. The DJ played fun music that everyone tried to line dance to, the mega TV screen above the pool flashed “Adios Miami, Hello Fun!” and we watched Miami drift further away as we cruised away from port. Very pretty!

DSC01187.jpg

Adios Miami!

Craig and I decided to try the Martini Tasting at the Alchemy Bar before our late seating at dinner. We had a choice of four mini martinis out of a selection of seven for a special of $16 instead of the usual $17. We picked Spicy Chipotle Pineapple Martini, Caribbean Manhattan, Curative Peach Cosmopolitan and Radical Cure. My favorite was the Spicy Chipotle and our least favorite was the Radical Cure. The spicy with the sweet pineapple was very tasty. We chatted with a nice family then went to gather our gang for dinner.

alchemybar_zps20600a6a.jpg

Martini tasting at The Alchemy Bar

I can’t say enough about our wait staff in the Silver MDR! We sat near the back of the dining room at a table for four with an additional chair put at the end for Craig. From the first moment, Yoseph, Borka and Septa entertained us, took care of us and made us feel like extended family. My girls were sad to leave at the end of the cruise, primarily because they knew that it was unlikely they would ever see our wait staff on a future cruise. I told them there is always a chance our paths may cross again!

borka_zps88d99878.jpg

Borka with a special “hat”

I started off with Caesar salad, salmon for my entrée and crème brulee for dessert. Oink. We had a bottle of Pinot Grigio from our wine package. Everything was tasty. We went to the Welcome Aboard show, which was lively and entertaining. The comics were very funny. We made our way back to our staterooms and spent a little time on the balcony, then collapsed into bed. We could hear the club below us one floor but it didn’t stop us from sleeping.

Edited by momonthego17

Yay....! Another Liberty review! My favorite Carnival ship (love them all),but this my all time favorite. Looking forward to more of your review.:)

Sunday, November 18 – Sea Day

I woke up around 6:30 so I could get in a workout at the gym. The gym was busy, but I was able to get on an elliptical right away and finished with some strength training. When I got back to our stateroom, room service had arrived (ordered the night before) and we had some coffee, juice, croissants, smoked salmon and fresh fruit out on our balcony. The skies were gray, so we kept our fingers crossed that the captain would find us some sun.

We decided to hit the Punchliner’s Brunch at 11:00 in the Golden Olympian MDR. I had Carne Y Huevos (filet mignon and over easy eggs) and Craig had Huevos Rancheros (made with shredded chicken) which were very good. We used our drink coupons to get a LI Tea for me and a Punchliner Bloody Mary for Craig. Mom and the girls were happy with their brunch choices. Dylan Madisohn was the comic that entertained us for about 7 minutes. We finished and hustled up to the Steakhouse for the cooking demo at noon. FYI, if you want to attend the cooking demo at the Steakhouse at noon, you need to be there by 11:40. It was already full so we couldn’t attend. Mom and I went to the Live Champagne Art Auction in the Hot and Cool lounge. We were a little early, so we got our bidder number and sat on the couches outside of the lounge. Now, this is on level 5, not near a pool, but guess what strolled right by us? A man with a substantial beer belly in a teal Speedo and nothing else! I’m sorry that I didn’t have my camera ready, but I didn’t want to chance my lens cracking by taking a picture. Very odd, since there were signs stating that you need to have a shirt on when not near the pools. We had a good chuckle with the other ladies who were waiting for the auction to start.

Once the doors opened, Mom and I wandered through the art selections with a half glass of champagne in hand. Some interesting pieces, but nothing I would bid on. We had two more half glasses of champagne as we watched the auction proceedings, then we repaired to our staterooms. Mom wanted a nap and I went to find the girls and Craig by the pool. We found each other and gathered Mom in time to enjoy Tea Time in the Silver MDR. Our head waiter, Yoseph was there so we had an extra good time.

We got ready for Elegant Night. I rented Craig a tux and I wiggled into my white sparkly dress. My girls looked lovely and my Mom was gorgeous.

familyformal_zps44688f59.jpg

All dressed up!

gmaandgirlies_zps582c352e.jpg

My mom and the girls

Edited by momonthego17

We had loads of lobster and our wait staff made dinner a highlight once again. We went back to the room to change into comfy clothes and got seats at the Venetian Theatre for the Wonderful World show. Shelly and Trent sang and the dancers were super. I couldn’t believe all of the costume changes for all of the tributes to the different countries around the world. We went back to the cabin and had a drink on the balcony. Gotta love relaxing on the balcony!

Monday, November 19 - Cozumel

The weather looked great when I woke up to go get in a workout. The gym had fewer people in it, so I had plenty of room. We nibbled on room service breakfast as we got ourselves ready for our day in Cozumel. My mom and Skylar were scheduled to take part in an excursion at Dolphinarius which included lunch.

dolphinarius_zps4a1df667.jpg

Dolphinarius

Craig, Cat and I were scheduled to hang out at Playa Uva, a beach resort. We grabbed some eggs and bacon on the Lido deck and then we walked off the ship. Mom and Sky checked in with the excursion people and we grabbed a cab to Playa Uva’s.

Playa Uva is a peaceful, low-key beach resort, about 15 minutes away from the port. Although Playa Uva looked smaller in real life than from the website photos, we were charmed by the warm welcome. We had beach chairs a few feet from the water’s edge, which was rocky. Water socks are definitely needed to access the ocean. Craig got a beer and I had a rum and diet coke, which tasted more like diet coke. We splashed in the ocean and relaxed in the quiet ambience. If you want a party atmosphere, go elsewhere. Playa Uva is like a Corona ad!

catatpoolandbar.jpg

Cat at Playa Uva’s pool

meandcatatplayauva_zps2f8cbed1.jpg

Bethany and Cat at rocky ocean beach

Edited by momonthego17

Thank you CruiseBug1970, navybaby1113, wrigley80, TakeMeAway1001, chipq, SMSACE6, lovestocruise19, canwegoyet?, PathfinderEss and Yankeegirl for the encouragement and kind words. I'm struggling with getting the pics to appear, so it's taking me some trial and error till I get it right.

I hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year!!

More review to come...:D

Thank you CruiseBug1970, navybaby1113, wrigley80, TakeMeAway1001, chipq, SMSACE6, lovestocruise19, canwegoyet?, PathfinderEss and Yankeegirl for the encouragement and kind words. I'm struggling with getting the pics to appear, so it's taking me some trial and error till I get it right.

I hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year!!

You are doing a great job! Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for sharing your photos. Keep up the good work.

You are doing a great job! Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for sharing your photos. Keep up the good work.

Thanks mississauga! I am planning on posting more tonight!

Love the review, great pictures & what a great looking family. Your Mom IS gorgeous! Looking forward to more, keep it coming.

Hubby's hot too ! :D;)

We joined Mom and Skylar back at the port. They had a wonderful time with the dolphins and enjoyed their lunch and decided to stay in port to shop. Cat, Craig and I went back on the ship to grab a Guy Fieri burger. Very yummy and there was no line! Plenty of toppings, sauces and many variations on the burger were available, so I could see why people would come back day after day to try a “different” take on a tasty burger.

guyburgergone_zpsb1cd37a6.jpg

Guy’s burger gone!

We left the ship to shop in port. I had a taste from the rum cake shop (nice) and we checked out souvenirs. Nothing jumped out at us, so we went back on board. Craig took a nap as I read my book. So nice to just relax! Soon enough, we were sailing away from Cozumel and it was time to get ready for dinner.

As I mentioned earlier in this review, our MDR waitstaff rocked! Best ever! After dinner, the music started up and the waiters showed off their dance moves. I decided to join them and shook my booty, much to the embarrassment of my DDs . Hey, I’m just burning off calories so I can eat more!

meandsepkadancing_zpsfe9c4b5c.jpg

Bethany shaking her booty with wait staff

After dinner, we checked out the BlueIguana Mexican Fiesta on the Lido deck. Very lively with dance music, people shaking their booties and waiters selling shots in glasses that light up. We got one for each adult and sipped while we danced on deck.

mexicanfiestadeck_zpsee95ac1b.jpg

Fiesta!

meandcraigfiesta_zpsaa1afba4.jpg

Bethany and Craig at Fiesta!

My 12 year old Cat was tired, so we decided to call it a night. I guess it’s exhausting being 12!

Edited by momonthego17

I'm enjoying your review. Thanks for taking the time to post it along with your great pictures. I have some great memories from the Liberty and it looks like your family has made some as well.

Tuesday, November 20 – Belize

Belize is a tendering port, so we got ready early to have a Lido deck breakfast (eggs, bacon, fruit) so we could last the day on our cave tubing excursion. I found out via a CC member review that if you have FTTF you should gather at Guest Services to be able to get priority boarding on the tenders. At least 45 people were waiting with us, some Platinum/Diamond and many FTTF people like we were. A Carnival rep came by and announced it would be ten minutes till our tender. Then she came back and said since there were so many of us, only the first 30 could get on. The crowd grew upset as the realization that passengers who purchased excursions through Carnival were getting priority over FTTF. Fortunately, my family was able to get on the first tender, but it filled up quickly with Carnival excursion people. I don’t know if the rest of the FTTF people boarded, but I hope they did.

tender_zps007da9b0.jpg

Tendering to Belize

We found Vitalino with Cave-tubing dot bz right outside the terminal and then we walked forever to find our driver, Carlos. Then we walked even farther to get to the van. I guess this was a warm up for the hike to the cave tubing! After an hour and a half drive, we arrived at the park where everyone accesses the path to the river. We loaded up with helmets, inner tubes and life vests and proceeded down a stony path. The path was more strenuous than I thought it was going to be and thankfully, our guide carried my mom’s and Skylar’s innertubes. Craig carried Catlynne’s and I lumbered along with mine. I say lumbered because my water sock blew out about half way through the hike. My feet were feeling every lumpy stone, so I was thrilled when we arrived at the river. FYI, get those Velcro water sandals for this excursion.

belizehike_zps154ca9c8.jpg

Hiking the path to cave tubing

betterreadytocavetube_zps0d082b80.jpg

Ready for tubing

skyready_zpsd892ae18.jpg

Sky getting ready to tube

A number of groups were getting ready and I thought we might be joining them, but we remained a group of five which was nice. Carlos led us through caves with forty foot ceilings, stalactites, waterfalls and interesting rock formations.

tubing_zps4672b57c.jpg

Tubing through the caves

He made sure that we didn’t bump into rocks or get stuck in an eddy. He described points of interest and when we got to the waterfall, he made sure we all got a baptism!

waterfallbaptism_zpsa2519df2.jpg

That waterfall was cold!

Edited by momonthego17

Not a big fan of water recreation but that cave tubing does look like fun. I hope I get to Belize someday and get to try that.

Not a big fan of water recreation but that cave tubing does look like fun. I hope I get to Belize someday and get to try that.

We had a great time and I would recommend the company we used for the cave tubing excursion.

The river ride was a five minute walk from the van, thank goodness! On our way we saw a large family of what I was told was Belizian raccoons.

racooncloseup_zps7428b52e.jpg

Go raccoon, go!

I limped over and tossed my beaten shoes into the garbage. We traveled back in the van to Vitalino’s place where we had a tasty lunch of stewed chicken, rice and beans and slaw, which was included. The rum punch was interesting, not the same as the rum punch in St. Lucia, but it was welcome. I was concerned about getting back to the ship so we made our way back with 30 minutes to spare. Phew!

cavetubinglunch_zpse78a5bf8.jpg

Yummy lunch at Vitalino’s

We relaxed then got cleaned up for dinner. Delicious and entertaining, I finished off with Bitter and Blanc. I requested more sauce which made it very decadent. Back at the room we popped open some champagne and watched the moon.

halfmoon_zpsc16e74b3.jpg

Odd looking half moon on it's side

Wednesday, November 21 – Roatan

We woke up to gray skies, but a rainbow was gracing the hills of Roatan. We figured that was a good sign. After a room service breakfast, we walked off the ship into port. Very pretty port area, but we were on our way to meet “Pirates of the Caribbean Extremely Extreme” zipline tour! We walked past the parking lot, then up a steep hill and as we crested the hill I saw a number of vendors. We checked in and were assigned a driver, Sammy to take us to the zipline tour. We traveled through hilly jungle for 20 to 30 minutes and arrived at an open air palapa, which was the base for the zipline.

ziplinepalapa_zps2f05631f.jpg

Palapa

Three monkeys were tethered to perches nearby, but I would suggest staying out of their grasp. Skylar had a monkey jump on her at the end of our tour and she felt it was acting aggressively. I was walking back down from the last zipline, so I didn’t see what happened. Sky was fine, but I don’t know if others would be as lucky.

Back to the beginning of our zipline excursion, we were strapped in like mountain climbers, fitted with helmets and shuttled up a very muddy hill to the top of the first zipline.

ziplinetruck_zpse4ad298e.jpg

Shuttle up to top of zipline

We walked down a path to a platform that had cables stretched out across a verdant canyon. The distance was over 1,800 feet and the height over 300 feet. Yikes!

betterreadytozip_zps31fa90f3.jpg

Ready to zip!

Edited by momonthego17

Thank you for the kind words Jacksmom09, F27TW (you are right, Craig is a hottie:D) Jeffy294, Franklissa, Cupcrazy, LBumb, Silent Penguin and mj. I'm so happy that you all are enjoying my review. There is more to come:)!

We were informed that Cat and Sky would need to ride with an adult for the first three ziplines. Craig had Sky strapped to him and off they went! I was next and traveled by myself since Cat decided to ride with my mom. That first leap off the platform is a doozy! Near the end of the zipline there were cows grazing and it seemed like you could touch them with your feet, but not really. We had a blast as we zipped from platform to platform, the brief shower of rain not dampening our enthusiasm.

momzipping_zps459e55ac.jpg

My mom zipping!

catgrabbingtether_zps8783608b.jpg

Cat zipping

Back at the palapa, we removed our gear and climbed back into the van. We were taken to a resort near the beach, but not really able to access the beach. A lagoon had been created and we relaxed as the girls kayaked.

girlskayaking_zps7e3f8c73.jpg

Cat and Sky kayaking the lagoon

The clouds came in and we decided to leave. Our driver got us to the port in a torrential downpour and we practically swam our way through the rain to the ship. We changed into dry clothes and hustled up to the Fish and Chips station. I had two bowls of bouillabaisse, with ceviche on the side. Delish! The girls had fish and chips, which the fish was good but I thought the breading a bit heavy and soggy.

We rested the remainder of the afternoon, then mom, the girls and I attended the hypnotist’s show. Craig decided to keep resting. We thought the show was fun. We met Craig at the dining room where we danced in a conga line with our fabulous staff!

yosephshakingit_zps0dc9dfe0.jpg

Yoseph strutting his stuff!

I was thrilled that escargot was on the menu and I had that along with Chateaubriand. Craig had the bono fish which was divine. I finished off with a rich, fudgy amaretto cake. Came back to the room for champagne and fizzled out.

Thanksgiving, November 22 – Grand Cayman

Woke up to a beautiful morning, but appearances were deceiving. The seas were too rough to anchor more than one cruise ship off of Georgetown, so we anchored 5 miles south at Sport Bay. As we tendered in, I could see that it was more like a wide spot in the road, not a port town.

sportbay_zps431f786e.jpg

Sport Bay

Our excursion with Captain Marvin’s was canceled for Stingray City, due to the marine police shutting it down because of too much chop in the water. We were disappointed but decided to catch a ride in a van to Royal Palms, a resort/restaurant on Seven Mile Beach. The van ride was $6 per person, the beach chairs $10 per person and an umbrella was $10. My party of five shared three chairs, one umbrella and a bucket of beers (my DDs drank water, which was free).

royalpalms_zpscfeefb77.jpg

Royal Palms

Edited by momonthego17

I am loving your review and the photos of your beautiful family! We are on the same ship/itinerary as you this June. And we are cave tubing and zip-lining also. Good to have an alternative to Stingray sail if the water is choppy - I hadn't thought of that. We have a catamaran trip booked for Grand Cayman. Looking forward to the next installment.

We've also paid for FTTF - hope we don't have a problem with tendering - that's why I bought it. Also didn't realize the van trip in Belize was over an hour -- did they keep you entertained?

Edited by wendaeh