Randi of Randi's Happy Horses has died...

WINEMANVISALIA

For those of you who may not know yet, Randi Garrison passed last

night. She was a kind, compassionate, woman who will be sorely missed

from many of our lives.

By all accounts it was Randi's desire to be cremated and her ashes cast

in the ocean at Mazatlan, the city she loved. Many of us are hoping

that these arrangements can be delayed until such time as a travel

arrangements can be made by those who would like to attend the ceremony.

While many fought for a better outcome, it was not to be. Still, I

think we can all take solace in knowing that the efforts were not

without their own reward. In the brief time that Randi was given a

respite, she was aware of her surroundings and had the chance to

experience the love and care of those she loved and who

loved her. That alone was worth the effort and under the circumstances may have been the best that could have been hoped for.

Together in our loss

Kathy:(

Sad to hear. I'm sure Randi is at peace now. I think her arrangements should be based on her family and friends that loved her and were a part of her every day life and what they need at this time of sadness. I think us cruisers could pray for those that remain of her loved ones and are now mourning Randi in a way that is above and beyond those who toured with her.

Edited by MichelleinOC

Thanks, WINEMAN for keeping us informed.

Sad, sad news.

Condolences to Randi's family and friends on their loss. I think we all knew (from the information passed along here) that the situation was dire. She lived her life well, and shared her love of horses and her love of Mazatlan with so many people. That's a true blessing, and I'm glad a lot of people got the chance to experience that. Randi made and shared many great memories.

May she rest in peace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was following threads about the possibility of Mazatlan returning to the MR itineraries, when I saw this -- how sad! :(

We took one of Mariner of the Seas last MR cruises (Nov 2010). Our trip to Stone Island was one of the best days I've had on any cruise. A group from our roll-call signed up for Randi's Happy Horses. We spent a great morning riding along the beach. Then, Randi joined us for a long, lazy lunch at Victor's (some of the best shrimp I've ever eaten). We so enjoyed listening to Randi's stories -- especially how she came to live in Mazatlan, and how she came to have the "happy horses". When it was time to return to the ship, Randi personally accompanied us on the small boat back to the mainland. When we said goodbye to her, it was like leaving an old friend. :cool:

RIP, Randi -- happy trails.....

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I must have missed something.. I just saw Randi passed away back in December ... We LOVED our ride with her and were so saddened when the ships decided to skip docking there. I thought about her often and wondered what this would do to her business.. Any details on how she died?

We loved her too - she was the reason we got off the ship in Mazatlan.

From everything I was told she had a severe stroke. She was in a coma for a while. We kept in touch after the ships stopped going there and her health had been declining but it was still a shock.

God needed her more.

So sad, we really enjoyed meeting her and the horses way back in 2005 on our honeymoon. Just last night my husband was talking about the horse he rode "Vagabundo" (sp) and I told him that I had read on here that Randi had passed.

attached pic of me on vagamundo and here are some snaps of randi in the good old day when we loved to go to mexican riviera...

https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/116190315107492683472/albums/5771376332547321153

vagamundo.jpg.5095ad780fb23d089435e8ccce02be73.jpg

Oh, that's sad, both losses. Ric really enjoyed Vagamundo. Loved looking at your photos, you spent a lot of time there. It looks like you were there in early October 2005, just about one week before we were there. I don't remember what date our ship (Vision of the Seas) ported in Mazatlan, but I remember we began our cruise on October 16 because it was exactly three months from our wedding day. My photos are on an old computer, but also on a disc I have packed away from when we moved last year. I'll have to try to find them.

BTW, Off topic, but I've always wondered about your screen name, it seems you live in San Diego but did you grow up in Visalia by any chance? I've lived there since 1988.

Oh, that's sad, both losses. Ric really enjoyed Vagamundo. Loved looking at your photos, you spent a lot of time there. It looks like you were there in early October 2005, just about one week before we were there. I don't remember what date our ship (Vision of the Seas) ported in Mazatlan, but I remember we began our cruise on October 16 because it was exactly three months from our wedding day. My photos are on an old computer, but also on a disc I have packed away from when we moved last year. I'll have to try to find them.

BTW, Off topic, but I've always wondered about your screen name, it seems you live in San Diego but did you grow up in Visalia by any chance? I've lived there since 1988.

****in honor of father in law who was in wine business and lived in visalia...he also was and is inspiration for our lifestyle=we believe in life before death...Hyler Bree was his name=great guy and smart man about how to live life...Marjorie Bree, my love, went to Mt Whitney...you can see her songleader photo from class of 63' on facebook!

So sad, we really enjoyed meeting her and the horses way back in 2005 on our honeymoon. Just last night my husband was talking about the horse he rode "Vagabundo" (sp) and I told him that I had read on here that Randi had passed.

I rode Vagabundo and my wife was on Freckles -- great memories of us galloping along the beach in Mazatlan. Vagabundo was a new horse and bit out of control, but a strong horse for us big guys (6'2" 225lbs).

Randi was one of a kind!

Kel:)

I rode Vagabundo and my wife was on Freckles -- great memories of us galloping along the beach in Mazatlan. Vagabundo was a new horse and bit out of control, but a strong horse for us big guys (6'2" 225lbs).

Randi was one of a kind!

Kel:)

Yes, my husband is 6'2" also and probably around 240 at that time. He's under 220 now, thanks to his wife getting him out to run half marathons! :D I don't remember which horse I rode, it was one they use for riders who have had some experience and I basically followed right behind the leader. It was fun but it had been years since I had ridden and I was a little nervous for the first few minutes, then it all came back to me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how one person can touch so many...

This is the first we are hearing about Randi's passing and it saddens us.

We often talk about being able to sail back to Mazatlan and ride the Happy Hours and sit at Victor's with Randi. It truly was one of our favorite itineraries and we looked forward to flying from NY for our Mexican Riviera Cruises.

I am a bit shocked, but thankful to stumble across this post tonight.

Thank you WINEMANVISALIA for the original post...and for kicking this back up to the top so folks like us could find it.

RIP Randi...and HAPPY TRAILS!

:(

• 5 months later...

We rode with Randi many times over the years. For some reason, I ran across an old email from her today and decided to look on cruise critic to see if she was still doing her Happy Horses business in Mazatlan. I was shocked to see this old posting of her passing. She called us 'walkie talkie' Chuck/Lynne because we brought her a pair to use for her business one year. She was such a kind person who loved Mazatlan and wanted to show tourists the beauty of Stone Island and the fun of riding horses.

RIP Randi....thanks for the wonderful vacation memories in Mazatlan!