Panic setting in - Cruising 1/3/2013 & Passport expores 4/24/2013!!

HeatherInFlorida

Mura, I tried your message link but it didn't work for me for some reason. I wondered how long ago you went to the Miami passport office because I just found a site with nightmare stories of trying to get a same day passport without an appointment. Most people were there 5-10 hours and some still couldn't get their passports renewed.

They advised getting there at 6:00 for the non-appointment line. Even then they say it can be a huge problem. So it doesn't look good and maybe you were just lucky? I don't think you mentioned how long ago this happened.

I really hope Oceania will let me travel on this passport. I've researched extensively and this is Oceania's rule and has nothing to do with the State Department. My passport is good for all the islands we're visiting.

Heather,

That's strange -- I mean that the email link didn't work. It has before.

At any rate, it HAS been a few years. We were booked on a TA out of Miami on Monday, March 9, 2009. We had a 7:30 am flight down to Miami, but because our friend who picked us up at the airport got lost trying to find a gas station (!) we didn't get to the Passport Bureau until 1pm. But we had no problems getting the new passport in time. Perhaps things have been tightened up since our experience. The line was not very long that day -- there were maybe a dozen people ahead of us when we got there.

It seems to me if your passport is valid for the islands you are visiting, you should be okay. But that's just MY opinion!

Good luck,

Mura

p.s. they have offices local in most states.. I see they have one in Miami, not sure where you are in Florida..but wouldn't hurt to call them...so you can also walk in with all the forms they have online (filled in) and your passport picture and old passport to make it even faster.

The problem is, Claudia, that I believe we're talking about a January 3rd cruise ... which makes it even tighter.

Not impossible ... but maybe so if the materials cannot be hand delivered to the expediter. If they have to depend on Fedx or the like, it doesn't seem like there is enough time.

Mura

I really hope Oceania will let me travel on this passport. I've researched extensively and this is Oceania's rule and has nothing to do with the State Department. My passport is good for all the islands we're visiting.

I think it is a standard clause so it covers them in case some do not have a passport in cases of emergency

Sounds like your ports do not required a passport a BC & DL will usually do on the closed loop cruise

But you have a valid passport just not for 6 mths past your sailing

I would speak with a supervisor & explain that

I hope your current passport will be fine...not a good way to start a vacation

Good luck

Lyn

Thank you, Lyn. Some of the islands do require a passport (but do not require it good for 6 moths) and other islands on closed loop cruises do not. In this case, a valid passport is required. But I have that so no problem there.

This is just an Oceania rule, not our government's. This site is very clear about what is necessary:https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

So this decision rests with Oceania and I'm hoping that they bend rules in an instance like this.

Claudia, thank you for the info. Yes, I already have all the info for Miami and if Oceania says I need it renewed I'll drive down there tomorrow. I am not comfortable using a company that does it for you. i'm just too nervous about identify theft.

Worst case, we just don't go. My husband and I just discussed it, he doesn't blame me for some reason, and we just have to kiss the $$$ good-bye. It will be a very expensive lesson, particularly for someone who is so compulsive about stuff like this, but sometimes we mess up really badly. I hope this won't be one of those times.

I just contacted a VP at Oceania at home for you and below is his answer so you dont have to worry any more

The answer to the question is yes, they can board in Miami and return with a passport that expires in 3 months, with the condition the passenger returns to his home country before passport expires.

If you call Oceania tomorrow and they give you any other answer they are incorrect..so ask for a supervisor..

Jancruz1

I just contacted a VP at Oceania at home for you and below is his answer so you dont have to worry any more

The answer to the question is yes, they can board in Miami and return with a passport that expires in 3 months, with the condition the passenger returns to his home country before passport expires.

If you call Oceania tomorrow and they give you any other answer they are incorrect..so ask for a supervisor..

Jancruz1

Jancruz1, I love you :). Of course I don't know you, but I feel confident that you were nice enough to do this for me and I have no words. My husband, a curmudgeon by nature;), just asked me "Why are people so nice?" And I told him "because most people are" (which I've been telling him forever).

Hopefully the first person I speak with will have this knowledge and that will be that and I can do my happy dance. But if not, I'll definitely ask for a supervisor.

I know I'll sleep better tonight just getting this info from you. I wish I knew how to let you know what it means to me that you took the time to check on my behalf. Thank you, thank you.

Earlier my husband said that if we don't go, we don't go. He doesn't blame me. It would be a huge amount of money to lose, but in the scheme of things that could go wrong, money is the least of it.

I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow! I so appreciate everyone's input.

Heather, your answer is right here and now confirmed by Jancruz. If the countries you're visiting do not require your passport to be valid for 6 months, simply tell Oceania that is the case. They shouldn't give you any push-back. As mentioned earlier, we were in this exact situation last month and the requirements of the countries we visited trumped the Oceania blanket 6-month rule.

Let me add that you're in for a real treat on Oceania. As fellow HAL cruisers, we ventured away from the mothership a few years ago and discovered another world on Oceania. Unlike many cruise lines, Oceania lives up to its marketing hype. In fact, they under-promise and over-deliver. Really! And Riviera is a very special ship. It has the same tonnage as an R class ship on HAL with the occupancy of an S class. You'll feel the difference. Riviera has stunningly beautiful spaces, exquisite art, unique on-board activities and outstanding cuisine. There are many foodie choices in all dining venues but you simply must try the miso-glazed sea bass in Red Ginger. Truly memorable!

All this to say, worry no more about your passport and best wishes for a wonderful cruise on Oceania.

MightyQuinn, thank you:)! I just told my husband to remember that sea bass! We have reservations in Red Ginger.

We haven't cruised on HAL for awhile. We moved over to Celebrity and we really do like it, but just too many people. I have a feeling that Oceania may remind us a little of the days long gone plus being even better. I have rarely read anything negative about the line and I've been so excited for this cruise. In fact the other day I booked another one for next January!!! (Didn't tell DH yet;))

I'm feeling much relieved and feel all will go right. Of course I'll feel even better when I call them tomorrow and get a green light.

I keep saying thank you thank you for all your help, but there's no way to tell you how relieved I feel right now.

I'm dancing as fast as I can. While was 99.9% sure all was well, I called Oceania this morning and after holding for 15 minutes, heart racing, he assured me all was well and I would have no problems at all on this itinerary. He said this was the best itinerary I could have for such an issue.

The hold time was while he walked over the the Visa department just to make sure.

So we're a go!!!:D Again, I want to thank every one of you for taking the time on a big holiday to try to help me with your suggestions and assurances. You were all the best and I won't soon forget.

(Note: If JanCruz reads this, could you please email me at .... heatherbsandarr (at) aol.com?

Heather,

It appears that it's not uncommon for some of the wives to book without telling their DH. Right Jan? Right Lyn?

At least they know now ...

Mura

Now you are telling secrets ;)

Some still do not know :D

Heather enjoy the cruise

Oceania had that great offer if you booked before 12/31 so I booked directly with them the other day. But if I ever suggested to DH that we book a cruise before we've even left on this one he just wouldn't "get it". But if he falls in love with Oceania he'll be glad I did!!!! And I still have time to transfer the booking to a TA after I get back. Meantime I'm locked in.

I am so happy today you have no idea:). Since I got everything ready yesterday just in case I had to run to Miami, I'm a lady of leisure!!!

Oceania had that great offer if you booked before 12/31 so I booked directly with them the other day. But if I ever suggested to DH that we book a cruise before we've even left on this one he just wouldn't "get it". But if he falls in love with Oceania he'll be glad I did!!!! And I still have time to transfer the booking to a TA after I get back. Meantime I'm locked in.

Be sure to ask about the onboard discount if your cabin Cat is still available ;)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

This thread is proof positive that CC can be and is a help to those who seek information.

Well done to those who contributed.

I couldn't agree more. I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through the last 36 hours without all these people.

I am over the moon to get on the Riviera tomorrow. Words can't describe.

And please remember to renew your passport when you return. You never can tell when you might need it on short notice.

And to everyone -- it is never too early to renew. You can renew your passport at any time. Even with a year left.

LOL!!! Paul :), rest assured that application will be mailed upon our return. I had it all filled out and photo stapled just in case I had to rush to Miami today.

On their website, the State Dept states that everyone should renew their passport 9 months before it expires.

Lesson learned ... and luckily for me other than 36 hours of angst, it wasn't learned the hard way! :)

Archived