Costa Concordia - a year on

A year on, has Costa Concordia changed your feeling about cruising?  

241 members have voted

1. 1. A year on, has Costa Concordia changed your feeling about cruising?

• It's made me more conscious of my own safety, but I still cruise
    • It's made me nervous to cruise
    • I'm not ready to get on a ship just yet
    • It hasn't impacted my cruise plans at all
    • Other (please comment below)

Not even for a second. We have booked 3 since the tragedy. Look at all of the bus tragedies in the past 2 years. Would you never ride a bus again? Of course not. Planes....I could go on for hours. Would you never fly again? Terrible tragedies happen. Life goes on.....

I worked for a major airline for almost thirty years, retiring in 2013. For the last ten of those years, I was always bringing up the advantages and good points of cruising. Many I worked with were considering a cruise then the Costa disaster happened. A good friend, one who I had worked with for the last nine years said that he and his wife had been talking about a cruise but now?? Was it safe ? I pointed out to Dave, 'What would happen if EVERYBODY stopped flying every time there's a plane crash?? You and I would be looking for another form of employment :( Also when was the last time you heard of a large major plane crash with so little loss of life??' I feel that if mistakes were made, we have learned from this and hopefully prevent it

Mac

What would happen if EVERYBODY stopped flying every time there's a plane crash??

Here's how I look at it. I know that if my plane crashes, I'm most likely dead. But I still fly because I know it's VERY unlikely. I actually feel more anxiety about the crap service of our domestic airlines than I do crashing.

Likewise, I know that if there needs to be a 100% abandonment from a cruise ship, there are going to be major problems.....and while many will survive, there will be loss of life. But again, the whole scenario is VERY unlikely.

Edited by Aquahound

You have sailed on HAL, Princess or Cunard? Any of the "Carnival owned" cruise lines?

No. Because Carnival owns them. HAL I would never try unless I am 65 or older. 29 more years for that.

Edited by Moltar

4 out of the 8 worst cruise accidents were on Carnival Corporation owned ships. Theres my logic. Marinate on that.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/02/14/the-eight-worst-cruise-ship-disasters

Carnival Corp also has the most ships afloat- 106, compared to second place RCI who has half as many.

If a disaster is defined as a power loss...

We don't cruise on Carnival, because it doesn't meet our style of cruise line. But I can't and won't rule out other members of the family, just as I don't rule out RCI family members either.

Curious to see your logic on cars and airlines.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Carnival Corp also has the most ships afloat- 106, compared to second place RCI who has half as many.

If a disaster is defined as a power loss...

And thats exactly why I feel they arent the safest. Way too many ships and different cruise lines to look after.