Cruise Critic Community
Algebralovr

Anyone else feeling like no point in booking early

I have no choice other than booking early as I require an accessible room, and there are only so many accessible roooms. It does wind me up a bit when people can get such good deals when booking last minute.

We took our first Celebrity cruise last February. Came home and booked another one. The price hasn't dropped like they did last year, in fact is $2.00 more per person now than last year, but the perks are a lot better than they were last year this time.

Then, when the winter 2014 schedule was announced and offered the extra OBC through Capt.Club, we booked for Feb 2014. Celebrity gave us $200 OBC.

Now, they are offering $300 OBC for that cruise, or the beverage package, or the prepaid grats (which are less than the OBC, so why would anyone pick that for my cruise?)

I've asked my TA to inquire with Celebrity, about going to the new promo since we are still more than 12 months out.

Now, we are looking forward to booking a family vacation for summer 2014, and wondering if we should buy the Open Passages when we cruise in Feb 2013. If the schedule was out for that time period, we'd book under the 1,2,3,GO! promo, but it hasn't been announced yet.

Ideas?

We like to book early. The one time we booked late, we had two veranda cabins to chose from and prices had risen for the cruise. Still, we booked while onboard and got the $300 Obc

We have booked five X cruises from one to two years ahead of time.

First one, the prices dropped and we called and received the new low prices before final payment.

Second one, the prices have gone up a couple of hundred dollars, except when the veranda guarantee was offered at a great price, which we took advantage of. Since then, the prices have gone up again.

Third one, the cruise is almost a sell out and verandas and some other cabins sold out six months before the cruise. Also, prices went up several times, up to 80% of the original price.

Fourth one, the cruise has almost sold out (some categories have already sold out like verandas and concierge) Prices have gone up several hundred dollars and this is 8 months prior to the cruise.

Fifth one, the price has stayed the same, but it is about a year away now.

In all cases, we picked the cabin we wanted and since we booked four of these when $200 OBC was offered, we have that on cruise two through five.

Tell me that booking early is not worth it. Of course, none of these five are in the Caribbean and we have to arrange for flights which generally are cheaper if you don't wait until the last minute.

The other side of the coin - we booked early for our upcoming cruise. The current prices for the room we booked are now considerably higher than they were then, more so than the value of the perks now being offered. They have been steadily rising for some time. I think in making the early/wait decision one needs to consider the cruise itself and how popular you expect it to be. You need to factor in the ship, the time of year, the itinerary, etc.. Our cruise is a 10 night out of FLL on a newer ship (Equinox) in the spring. There are not alot of similar cruises to choose from on Celebrity for a 10 day Caribbean itinerary. In this particular case, it would have cost us $$ to wait.

If you are looking quite a ways ahead (one year+) it might be wise to take a look over a few weeks time as to how similar cruises are trending this year during that same time period. No guarantees, but many trends tend to repeat. Worth thinking about.

I do not want to sound like I am lecturing as I am speaking for myself only, but I book what I think is fair, keep a casual eye on prices in case of fare drops for potential upgrades, and pretty much ignore all the "new booking only" specials. I just plain don't want to aggravate myself or let myself feel stressed out about someone getting more than me. Considering the state of the world, I consider myself very, very lucky to be able to cruise at all. To complain or worry that I might miss a bargain, or that someone is able to get a better deal than I did? Not gonna happen. Life is too short. Ok, re-reading this it sounds like lecturing and I don't mean to. Just want to explain my view of things.

Your 'lecture' was the most helpful advice I've ever reaped from CC. I watched the trends on same itinerary cruises from 2013 to 2014 and got the best deal I have ever gotten for a 2014! Thanks for the lecture!