Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mujiboston

Just have to vent

I contacted TWE about flowers and such and was quoted $150 for 18 roses!!!

I am shocked especially since the bouquet for the rooms are only $59 for a dozen. I am thinking that i should order that and bring my own satin ribbon and bunch it up myself. I was going to do orchids but given the price, i think i may have to go with daisies.

I am glad that they told me i can use silk petals which i am going to use to put on the sides of the runner and also in little bags for the guests to toss at us when we walk out. a lot cheaper than $15 for 2 handfuls. but i will still have real ones for the tables and the cake, and for the flower girls.

I am wondering about the cake. Has anyone try to use the "bride and groom" cake that comes with the package and use it as their top layer and then just purchase additional layers? and the look that i wanted, they say that it will have to be fondant with some almond paste for piping. i have no idea for wedding cake. should i go with that or cream cheese or what? I almost feel like going cake tasting just to find out the difference but would feel bad since i would not be buy from the baker.

anyone purchased the video for the wedding? just wondering if it is worth the money.

thanks!

32 days left....AHHHHHHH cant believe june is here already!!!

Don't worry everything will be done in time.

For your cake I would try a butter cream icing rather then a fondant. Fondant is a harder icing and if any of your guests are allergic to nuts you might have a problem due to the nutty layer before the icing. It is totally up to you. I might look up the difference between icings on the internet. Also, I don't know if you can add the package cake to make it apart of a three tier? Everyone at TWE says something different, so I would deffinately ask first. I was told I couldn't, so instead I just went with the package cake to cut as I know my guests will get dessert in Sterling's.

I thought about purchasing the video when I had a large group. At this time I was having the wedding in Skywalker's. Later I was told I couldn't have it anyways as you can only get a video if the wedding is done in the chapel. So as it turns out a couple people cancelled and I am now in the chapel. Instead of having them tape it my brother is. I gave him $100, bought supplies and also got him a gift. I would rather do that then pay $495 for one, cause I want candid moments too.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!!:p

Muji-

That quote for the flowers is obsurd! The At Sea package already comes with 1 dozen hand tied roses and I only paid 50.00 to add a SECOND dozen. Is the picture of the bouquet you sent them something other than a hand tied rose bouquet? If not, it should only cost you 50.00 to add another dozen. They did tell me I would have to pay more if I wanted a "round" bouquet (apparently I sent them a picture of a round and a hand tied which looked the same to me, but apparently are made differently). Do you have a picture of the bouquet they quoted you the 150 for?

If it's not for your bouquet, we paid about 75.00 and got arrangements for the tables and the ceremony location. Each was 75.00 and some were like 18 roses or so and some were more like 6 roses plus white flowers as well. I also paid 15.00 for them to spread rose pedals on each table and they were generous with those. They do overprice their flowers and it sucks that you can't take them off the ship (customs) so I would consider silk for sure.

Since i am having the harborside wedding it only comes with 1/2 dozen roses. I wanted 2 dozen. so, they quoted me $150 for the upgrade of 18 roses. and then 6 roses for the brides maid at $50. I sent them pictures of what i wanted. I had 3 choices since i reading kadiebug's posts, thought their prices are not that bad for the roses upgrade. so, i had some pictures of roses with orchids and another one with callalilies. but she only quoted me on the plain roses. and was shocked at the price.

When i told them that i know of another bride that got married in jan. 2005 (6 month prior to mine) had roses upgraded for $50. they told me that it was because you were going to the carribean and i was leaving from seattle, and that they are easily obtainable in miami. i told them that i think roses are readily available everywhere and a 200% jackup is outlandish. now they tell me it is because how i wanted to flowers. so, i am going to send the same pictures as kadie's and see what they will come up with.

I have also chosen red as my theme color (along with white) (since I am having a "western wedding" and my family thinks that i should have some auspicious colors). So, i stole a lot of kadie's ideas. i changed some and then i now realize why she did some of the things she did! some things are just a lot easier....like just having roses, and decorate with petals, etc. or else we would have to bring lots and lots of stuff on board to decorate.

kadiebug, did you pay per table ($15/per table) to have to roses scattered? and how much for the cake topper, bridesmaids' 3 roses, and centerpieces?

thanks

muji

Muji-

I actually have some of the "example" bouquets that I sent TWE telling them how I wanted my flowers. Do you want me to upload and post some of those pics too?

We paid 15.00 per table for the scatted rose pedals which for all the tables, the cake table and the guest book table ended up being around 75.00 total. The flowers for our cake were obsurdly priced at like 75.00 for them, but oh well, they were beautiful. For the bridesmaids 3 roses we paid 30.00 or 45.00 I think (we switched some boutineeres at the last minute). For the table centerpieces we paid 75.00 and only had them on 1 table (though they acidentally put 2) and then 2 at the ceremony location. I'll tell you though, with the candles we brought for the tables we would have been happy just to have the 15.00 rose pedals and favors to decorate the table because they made it look beautiful. I bought the candles at Walmart for less than 2 bucks for the big ones and 30 cents for the votives. Added some ribbon + the rose pedals and wa-la, I had centerpieces. That was a very inexpensive option and I just packed them well in bubble tape and brought them onboard.

I do see how they can say that leaving out of FL makes flowers cheaper though. You see, here in Miami you can buy one dozen roses for 5.00. No joke! I always said if I got married on land here I would FILL my wedding with roses and rose pedals because they're so cheap here. We get all the South American import junk flowers and they sell for next to nothing. So, there might actually be some truth to that. I did consider, however, ordering the dozen roses for 60 bucks and using the pedals or flowers to make my own pedals or boutineres and I still don't think that's a bad option either. :)

I wouldnt mind getting the flowers from the ship and then making it a hand tied one myself. i would take but 10 minutes. my only concern is that it would not arrive to the room on time for the embarkment wedding.

http://www.princess.com/onboard/sendagift/florist.html

Kadie,

I love the table decorations and was going to order the frosted votive candles from oriental trading. $7.99 per dozen with names thank you stickers. Joanne's is having a sale this week for their candles and votives already in them, for $5 per dozen. But wow, 30cents at walmart is unbeatable. how did you stick the ribbon on? glue? doublesided tape? i worry that i would not have enough time to assemble all of them before hand. i was going to put lollipops or candies in them for the children rather than candles. did you have to bring everything off of the ship too? or did you have your guests take the candles? and come to think of it, it reception is only going to be an hour and a half at most. seems like a lot of work for such a short period of time. but i think the rose petals and the votive i will do.

i also made favors they are of round tin CD's of the songs that we did not get to play since we wont be dancing. and since everyone is traveling to seattle, its something to listen to in the car when they are visiting various places.

Hope you dont mind, but i send one of your wedding pictures on the knot web page with the flowers to TWE. but would love to see what other photos you had sent.

thanks

muji

This seems to be a big huge issue with twe. I had asked what it would cost for a flower upgrade also. I was told in the first quote that it was 185 for 2 dozen pink roses handtied. It was like 150 for a dozen and 100 for 1.

I questioned the cost as i knew that Mary's daughter was getting married 4 weeks prior on the same ship and she was quoted 100 for 2 dozen handtied rosini roses.

They said that was the price of my bouquet. So today another person emailed me about flowers and the quote went from 105 for a dozen, 135 for 1 1/2 and 210 for 2 dozen.. now this really doesnt make sense.

I had flowers sent to my room when we cruised before and they were there before i got to my room, however i doubt they will let you take them from your room.

I dont get the huge price gouging that is going on... they shouldnt be that much esp when we are supposed to get 6, 6 more shouldnt cost that much more..

How well did the flowers hold up and were you able to spray them with anything to keep them?

I just want a simple bouquet of roses.. without them charging me a fortune!

I get married in a little over 3 weeks..

Christi

That is just crazy if their prices have gone up by that much. Maybe it's because the at sea package already included 12 roses, so it was inexpensive to upgrade? That's the only difference I can think of unless their prices have skyrocketed. I know of someone else who upgraded their hand tied rose at sea bouquet for 50.00 too, but again, she was married at sea too. Maybe that's the factor. Who knows.

Here are some of the "planning" sample flower pics I used: http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EekNm7Fo2bsdm

You can see some pics were examples of how I wanted my bouquet and some were how I wanted the couple of floral arrangements I paid 75.00. Ours were a mixture between the ones on the mirror and the ones with the white lillie (??) mixed in. Also included is a sample picture of what we sent them for our cake and from the real pics you can see it came out pretty darn close.

For the Wal Mart votives, here are some pictures of us putting the ribbon around the votives and the finished product. We bought a heat resistant fabric glue from the craft store (Michael's) and just put a drop of it where the fabrice connected after being wrapped around the votive and it stayed perfectly (to our surprise!). So, for 32C plus ribbon and glue we made all those votives. We just left them on the ship for the crew to take to their rooms or to dispose of if they didn't want them. http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EekNm7Fo2bseI

Here are the votives plus the large pillars (under 3.00 at wal mart too) before we decorated them: http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EekNm7Fo2bseq

I'm actually uploading some pictures now that are examples of the actual flowers we purchased. One thing you'll notice is they reused the flowers as we changed locations. For example, the ceremony flowers I purchased were taken to Skywalkers for the reception and the luncheon flowers I purchased for Sabatini's were taken there as well which made me feel like I got good use out of them. Then, I gave my Grandma and our parents the floral arrangements to take back to their rooms. The only thing you can't do this with is the ships arrangements that come with the package (though you'll see there are red flowers added to the ships arrangements for our ceremony. We didn't request that, the onboard coordinator did that to help everything "tie in together" on his own). Will post the actuals (planning stuff above) as soon as they upload but was afraid this would log me off in the meanwhile so I'll send it as a separate post.

The flowers did not hold up that well, they were wilting by the next day, but I was married on the last at sea day so they had already been onboard for quite a few days at that point. The florist did stand by to freshen them when needed and when my niece swung her ball of roses over her head and it fell apart, he scooped it up, put it back together, spritzed it and you never would have known the difference (if my Aunt hadn't seen her do it of course). Kids, LOL

Your favors sound like a great idea. :) Your guest will love them I'm sure. I thought doing the candles was going overboard too since they were just for the luncheon but they really did give the room a great mood and even though it was a cruise wedding, it felt a little more traditional with the tables decorated. It's totally up to you and depends on what you want to do. If you don't feel like you need them, then by far don't do them as you'll regreat putting the time and effort into it. If you want something for the tables, they're a simple, inexpensive way to go.

Pictures to follow. (Hope some of this rambling helps!)

PS Don't mind at all using our pics, we actually signed a release for TWE to use them for sample pics to help out soon to be brides.

Here are the actual flower pics as promised (I tried to put a note/description at the botton of each pic): http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EekNm7Fo2bsfM

Note that when you upload these to a webserver it degrades the quality so you can see the flowers upclose in the actual pics, but not so great here. if there's a particular picture you'd like to see the larger version of just e mail me your email address (cepausm@bellsouth.net) and I will gladly send you the large file where you can see more details, just tell me which pic(s) you want to see.

Hope some of this helps!

kadie

I ran into similar problems with TWE. If I stuck with "the package" things were reasonably priced. But as soon as I wanted something even slightly different, the price went up like crazy. I asked about an upgrade for my bouquet and was quoted an add-on of $195. I was already paying for one as part of my package, so what they could be adding to make it worth almost $200 MORE seemed crazy to me. So I opted to have the wedding party flowers done in silk. I've attached a link to the photos so you can see how nice they looked. In the end, it was wonderful to have silk instead of fresh. I got to choose exactly what I wanted, they looked fabulous in the photos, and the bridesmaids had a lovely souvenir to take home.

As far as cake, I went with the "package" but chose chocolate cake, buttercream filing and fondant icing. It looked lovely, but more importantly, it was the most delicious cake ever! What a pleasant surprise...

Best of luck. I am sure whatever you decide on will work out. Just remember to have a wonderful time.

bridesbabes1.jpg.f9994bce0fcde5000c84fc2bad4e4572.jpg

cake1.jpg.fa10289648a9c15be8f18f72569bb3f6.jpg

TWE send an email back and the 2 dozen upgrade (from 6 to 24) roses went from $150 to now $100. Still a ripe off but i am glad they are willing to work with me. The bridesmaid's ones with a dozen roses is $50. The roses and orchids (18 roses and 6 orchids) is $125 which i think considering that 2 dozen for the roses along is $100, is not a bad price. but the bridesmaid's with 9 roses and 3 orchids would be $80 and the boutienieres would be $25 instead of $15. So, i am thinking of just getting the roses....plain and simple.

I saw a white bouquet at target that looked pretty good for $15. and was thinking about buying that for the bouquet toss. What did you guys do for that? guests can't leave the ship with fresh flowers right?

I agree that they charge you an arm and a leg if you go outside of the box. and i think it is something new that they are doing, charging like crazy for flowers. most brides want fresh flowers and you cant bring your own, so why not? well, i think we all need to stick together on this one and tell them the prices are just outrageous.

Kadie, i went to look for the votive holders at walmart, and came across $0.57 for each. prices are higher in CA, i guess. only to be expected.

As for the cake, i am considering not getting one either. i rather spend the $400 on a quartet since we are going to have tiramisu and sorbert for dessert and i just dont think people are going to be able to stuffed themselves with another piece of cake. and then the worst part would be to be stuck eating it ourselves all week long. of course, not having one just means that there would be no pictures of it. oh well. hey, does anyone know if guests can take a piece of cake with them? if they can, then it wouldn't be so bad.

have to give thumbs up for TWE, for coming up with a vegan menu for some of the guests. no meat, no milk, no honey, and no cheese is pretty hard with an italian menu. (I'm trying to look at the brighter side of things)

muji

Muji,

I'm glad TWE is starting to come around and work with you. Being from CA myself you are right, almost everything is just a bit more expensive there. Another place that might have them even cheaper would be Michael's or a craft store like it. You might want to try there.

We didn't do a bouquet toss because as our coordinator pointed out to us, we only had 1 single female and didn't want to single her out (I didn't even think about his until they pointed it out) so we skipped that tradition. If I was going to do a toss I would definitly buy artificial or silk flowers so they could take them off the ship without having to worry about a fine from customs. ;)

Do you get a cake with the package? That one was larger than we expected and could serve as your cake for pictures and such.

I decided to write to carnival and tell them that TWE is ripping people off on flowers...

Not that it will do any good but at least makes me feel better that they know.

I will let everyone know what they say if they respond to me.

I still didnt hear back from TWE to tell them that i decided to just stay with the bouquet that it comes with (i am bringing my own silk one) I hoped they would come back with a lower quote but that hasnt happened.

Christi

i ended up going with the rose upgrade for $100 extra for 2 dozen and the BM 1 dozen for $50. if what they say is true about the geographic regional differences in price. I think that caribean cruises should be a lot cheaper for the flowers. I did call a flower shop in seattle and he said that the prices are about right for that area. (which gets me to think that all florists are ripe offs now) I felt that TWE was willing to work with me on the price and prehaps you should just tell them that it is really not a fair price and that you know someone else that got another cheaper price. it worked for me. FYI for future on land brides, costco has a really good deal for bridal flowers.

i decided not get the wedding cake but bought a 14in which would serve about 16 to 18 ppl and then we still have the one that comes with the package that will serve 12 ppl. we asked that to be made into a 2 tier cake and only cost a little over $100. its better than $400. we cant have our own design but a choice of filling was an option. i am okay with that.

I agree that upgrades are really not worth the money. i now feel that i have upgraded so much that i dont know what the "regular" package was for anymore. i think after everything it would be around $5000 for the wedding ceremony and lunch reception for 50 ppl. which i think is still cheaper than on land.

muji

I wrote an email to TWE, I did tell them the prices that other brides were quoted and what i was quoted. I was quoted both 210 and 185 for 2 dozen roses. My "package" includes 6 roses. So technically all i wanted was 18..

I explained that i thought this was an unfair practice that some brides were given better quotes for basically the same thing and that i was tired of paying to be a bride ..

I was charged 30 more for each of the 3 dresses i ordered because they werent a size 12 or below (and these dresses run small!!) and now the flower thing i am very frustrated. We are not marrying for the first time, this is both of our 3 marriages, the first both were done with a justice of the peace and ended in divorce and the seconds we had small weddings but they both ended when our spouses died suddenly, so i am not a 20 something bride but a young 40 bride..

My fiance wanted me to be a bride and do all the stuff for our special day so that is why we are doing this.

I did tell them if they want to upgrade my flowers to the dozen plus the 6 white ( i was told 10 more for pink roses) i would do it for what they told me, about 100.. i havent heard from them today.

I did say that we could order flowers on the ship in the room for 48 so not sure why they are charging so much.

Christi

of course every wedding book in the world tells you never to tell them that it is for a wedding...prices go up 100%.

i got the 18 extra roses for $100. i dont care if they know we are talking...how else are we suppose to know what a fair price is. It's not like we are all local and ask for references of previous customers to see if they had a good experience and such. I think it is completely fair to speak openly about this. I am having a fairly good experience so far with TWE (except for the fact that they refuse to give me table size so that i can do my seating arrangement), but i dont want to get ripped off either. like i said, if i was sure that the ship's dozen of roses can be delivered before my wedding, i would have ordered that instead.

Although, this is my first marriage, we just bought a house a year ago and with the prices out here in the SF bay area, we are on a very tight budget. I am willing spend the money, but ony within reason. I am really praying that my experience is as good as kadiebug's. i really want to believe that she is more the norm than the exception.

good luck.

I still havent heard anything but not sure if Rosie got my email or not. I did say that if they would give me the 12 pink and the 6 white i would be happy paying that price...

I wanted a nice arrangement as when my late husband and i married my bouquet was not what i had ordered, it was ok but my little 8 yr old daughters was almost as big as mine..lol.

I know that it really shouldnt be a big deal, but i just dont feel it is fair for some brides to get such a great deal and others are expected to pay more.

Maybe they thought since we are 40 we could afford it better..lol. Who knows.

Your 150 quote was still under what i was told, 185 and 210..one from rosie and the other from danushka. I havent heard anything from carnival yet on it, but plan to ask when they call me for all my information.

I hope everything else goes well for you. I am down to 16 days. My dressesa are being hemmed and 1 taken in and trying to figure out our excursions and put together invitations for a reception after we get back in late july.

Good luck with all your stuff, i am glad you got what you wanted.

Christi