Everything ROYAL PRINCESS: What are you looking forward to MOST of all?

dmwnc1959

'The entrance lobby of The Sanctuary immediately establishes an impressive structure and air of mystery.'

8410542128_3cddf81b6c_z.jpg

'As you move toward the central core of The Sanctuary, strategically placed rock gardens featuring special topiary planting with atmospheric lighting create an inviting path leading to plush lounge seating, fantastic ocean views, new VIP Cabanas, and the new central Pavillion'.

(Princess Cruises)

8409446545_e79a5ee068_z.jpg

8409446659_3384f53a4c_z.jpg

8409446755_791c762b27_z.jpg

'Four new VIP Sanctuary Cabanas on Royal Princess offer an even more exclusive and special experience with delightful amenities including a personal television, cushy sofas, a picnic basket of refreshments, and even a bottle of champagne!'

8409446829_9ed538df17_z.jpg

'Also available are two new luxurious spa cabanas for a truly special al fresco massage experience. These large, enclosed areas will offer added privacy, a comfortable resting area with a television, and in the treatment area side by side tables for a refreshing couples massage with beautiful ocean views looking out over the front of the ship.' (Princess Cruises)

8410542604_79850b711a_z.jpg

8409446995_ce4fe2b192_z.jpg

Coming up next....

...the Retreat Pool! :)

Excellent thread! You are really putting a lot of work into this. I got more information from this thread then I did from Princess' web site!! Thank you!

It is much easier to absorb in smaller doses instead of quick six minute videos. And something Princess Cruises could have easily done in a really cool live updates blog? ;)

Can't wait! This is a great thread, thank you!

Sandy

THANKS! Lots more to come! :D

I love, love, LOVE this thread! :D

I'm curious to know what the view will be like from the Sea Walk and the Sea View Bar. I also am looking forward to the expanded Spa and Piazza features...and what will Princess Live be like?..so many things to look forward too!:D

I love Princess's design pallet on the Grand class ships and from the previews we've seen, their new big sister will not be a disappointment. I find myself looking most forward to just spending time on the Royal Princess soaking up the Princess design team's use of art, color, light, textures and materials to create another beautiful ship.

I think the views from the top of Sea Walk will make for a great Sail Away place! And I'll probably spend most of my days in the Piazza and atrium, hitting all of the interior venues that stretch from the front of the ship to the back along the Promenade Deck. It looks amazing.

And I agree - I think she'll be an amazing new addition to the Princess Cruises fleet, espcially once we get real pictures and live reports back from the first cruisers. I can't wait to step onboard! :D

Thanks dmwnc1959. Excellent work...thanks for a great thread. I just found it, so I had to catch up on 12 pages, LOL.

I'm really looking forward to the new Piazza, especially those beautiful, artistic stairs and waterfall lights. I also can't wait to check out the SeaWalk....I'll be the guy jumping up and down on the glass floor, LOL :eek:

I hope they have the steam/sauna in the fitness area in addition to the Thermal Suite...as they do in the Grand class ships.

I found it interesting about the reversed Sea Witch logo. Would it be possible that they've accidentally reversed the port and starboard logos? From pictures of the Crown and Sapphire (the last two ships we've sailed), the Sea Witch's hair is flowing aft to stern on both sides. If they're both flowing fore to bow on the Royal....it makes me wonder if they reversed them intentionally or unintentionally?

I can't wait to see more of the Royal in the coming months.

Thanks again!

You're WELCOME! Sounds like you are looking forward to the same things I am! And don't be jumping too hard on that glass floor. Not sure if you want to be the first at sea rescue if you fall through! ;)

I'm sure the fitness center will have shower facilities but still not sure on the sauna/steam rooms. We will have to wait and see. I believe the intent on putting the Lotus Spa where it is was to create a completely separate upscale 'event', a retreat or oasis, something away from the hustle and bustle of the fitness/work out areas and jogging track. And if there are no similar facilities in the fitness center, it will at least allow a cool down period as you transit to the Lotus Spa.

The Sea Witch logo on the starboard side of the funnel is a bit of a mystery. It will take some time for folks to get use to. I still believe they may have intentionally placed it like that to orient the official company logo in the correct direction, as opposed to making it look like her hair was flowing in the breeze as the ship moves through the water. Either way, it looks like it's not going to be turned around so we better get used to it! ;)

Retreat Pool -

'The new Retreat Pool is an exclusive area for adults only, to relax and rejuvenate, and is the perfect compliment to The Sanctuary.'

Retreat Pool area starboard side looking across

8410720782_36678983e0_z.jpg

Retreat Pool area port side looking across

8409625197_00b289dcba_z.jpg

'While there are pools on other Princess Cruises ships that are also exclusive to adults only, the Retreat Pool on Royal Princess will now offer more space, more lounge seating, and new retreat cabanas that can be reserved for an enhanced experience, with optional picnic baskets featuring an assortment of delicious items including fresh focaccia sandwiches, cookies, and a bottle of wine, all served by your dedicated steward'. (Princess Cruises)

Retreat Pool bar and jacuzzi's

8409625285_c95bd89f75_z.jpg

Expanded lounging areas on both sides

8409625351_d88dd4e734_z.jpg

Poolside cabanas

8410721092_9d1c6f1747_z.jpg

Pool, jacuzzi, bar, and starboard side lounging area

8410721036_07e4dc4d88_z.jpg

Retreat Pool

8409625533_b8ceb3b3b6_z.jpg

Nicely done, the amount of work you continue to put into this is just incredible.

Once again thanks for doing this David :)

It keeps me busy, that's for sure. Case in point: the Princess Cruises deck plans for The Sanctuary showed clam-shell styled loungers, but the video and its commentators (VP of Interior Design Teresa Andeerson and the VP of Hotel Services Mario Siebaldi) discussed/showed 'plush lounge seating' (reclinable chaise loungers). So in order to make them match I had to cut and paste a bunch of very tiny 'lounge seating' arrangments over the top of the 'clam shells' to make it correct. Details, details, details! ;)

Still more to come including:

- Top Deck Highlights and Pools

- Dining (MDR, Crown Grill, Horizon Court, and more on Sabatini's)

- Onboard Entertainment (Princess Live, Princess Theater, Vista Lounge)

- Youth and Teen Centers (Pelicans, Shockwave, Remix)

- Nightlife (everything else!)

I have a question relating to the Retreat Pool that I'm hoping someone might know the answer to...is the Retreat Pool available for the use by all adult guests, or must one pay for the Sanctuary in order to use the Retreat Pool? Normally on the Grand Class ships, those using the Sanctuary who want a dip in the pool use the Lotus Spa pool which is a deck lower, but in this case it appears that the Sanctuary may have their own dedicated pool, but I really can't tell 100% from these photos.

I am not a Sanctuary user, but love the Spa pool as it is quiet_No MUTS, no pool games, no kids!! I would hate to see this Retreat Pool be off limits to all except those who have paid the Sanctuary fee...:confused:...especially since it appears that the only other pool option on the Royal would be the large one.

Does anyone else remember the 1,000 Memories at Sea Contest that Princess Cruises had going on, which was going to debut the winning submissions on the Royal Princess? Did any of our Cruise Critic members submit any of their photos?

Royal Princess Winners Gallery

I can't wait to see how and where these are displayed on the ship. :D

We were fortunate to have both of our submitted photos selected. From our last TA on The Grand. Should be interesting exploring The Royal looking at all of the great submissions.

Your attention to detail is impeccable!

I can probably blame that on the Navy! ;)

I have a question relating to the Retreat Pool that I'm hoping someone might know the answer to...is the Retreat Pool available for the use by all adult guests, or must one pay for the Sanctuary in order to use the Retreat Pool?

Use of the Retreat Pool area is free of charge for adult passengers (pool chair hogs better beware! ;)), but the Cabanas at the Retreat Pool will be extra and available to rent out. The Sanctuary will be an extra fee just like current Princess Cruises ships although I'm not sure if the pricing will be the same. I plan on using both even for a half day in The Sanctuary while in St. Thomas. That'll be pretty cool! ;)

We were fortunate to have both of our submitted photos selected. From our last TA on The Grand. Should be interesting exploring The Royal looking at all of the great submissions.

Now THAT's a pretty neat honor! I can't wait to see which ones they are. You'll have to make sure you have your photo taken standing next to them. :D

Well, I for one hope that someone at Princess sees this wonderful thread. :):) Dave, you are amazing and they really should take notice of someone who is taking it upon himself proactively to go WAY above and beyond to provide helpful information to their cruisers and potential cruisers!

At least give the guy an upgrade already!! ;)

Well, I for one hope that someone at Princess sees this wonderful thread. :):) Dave, you are amazing and they really should take notice of someone who is taking it upon himself proactively to go WAY above and beyond to provide helpful information to their cruisers and potential cruisers!

At least give the guy an upgrade already!! ;)

That gets my vote! :D

...and Thanks. :o

Been working on the next section and hope to have it up starting tomorrow night!

Here are additional details regarding entrance costs for The Sanctuary and its cabanas as well as the cost for the Retreat Pool cabanas:

'Both the Sanctuary and adjacent Retreat pool are popular on the line's other ships, Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises executive vice president said. "So aboard Royal Princess we're taking both of these areas and giving them a new twist."

New elements in the Sanctuary, which on Royal Princess is 20 percent larger, include rock and topiary gardens that create a path leading to a new central pavilion in which passengers can relax on plush lounge chairs or circular daybeds while Serenity Stewards provide refreshments. Entrance to the Sanctuary costs $15 for a half day or $25 for a full day, per person.

However, the main new "twist" for both is private cabanas.

In the Sanctuary, four cabanas will be available, all with personal televisions with noise-reducing wireless headphones, comfy sofas, a robe and slippers, welcome cocktail and healthy snacks like nuts and dried and fresh fruit. A fully stocked mini-bar offers water and soda as well as a choice of alcoholic options. Prices for the Sanctuary Cabanas start at $80 for a half day. Also located in the Sanctuary will be two Lotus Spa cabanas for outdoor massage experiences. Each Lotus Spa cabana will offer a resting area with television and plush chairs and a treatment area with two massage tables for couples' massages. Several packages will be available with pricing yet to be determined.

At the Retreat Pool, six poolside cabanas will offer private poolside space with two loungers per cabana. Rental costs start at $50 for a half day.

Available to all cabana purchasers will be the gourmet cabana picnic baskets, packed with antipasti, sandwiches, pizza and deserts, and paired with a premium wine. Baskets serving two people begin at $40.'

(Cruise Critic)

--

From Princess Cruises:

Sanctuary Cabanas – Within The Sanctuary, four new Sanctuary Cabanas offer an even more exclusive and special experience with amenities such as a personal television with noise-reducing wireless headphones, cushy sofas, luxurious robe and slippers, a welcome cocktail, and healthy snacks including nuts, and dried and fresh fruit. The cabana also features a fully stocked mini-bar with refreshing waters and sodas, as well as a choice of alcoholic options, including beer or wine. Sanctuary Cabanas will be available beginning at $80 for a half day.

Lotus Spa Cabanas – The two new, luxurious Lotus Spa Cabanas offer a truly special alfresco massage experience. These larger, enclosed areas will offer added privacy, a comfortable resting area with a television and plush chairs, a treatment area with two massage tables for a refreshing couples massage and beautiful ocean views looking out over the front of the ship. A variety of packages will be available for the Lotus Spa Cabanas.

Retreat Pool – Adjacent to The Sanctuary, the Retreat Pool will offer an exclusive area for adults to relax and rejuvenate. The Retreat Pool on Royal Princess will offer more space and seating than the adult pools on other Princess vessels, plus add new Retreat Cabanas that can be reserved for an enhanced experience. These cabanas are the perfect way to enjoy private space poolside, or even add the indulgence of one of the ship's special picnic baskets. The Retreat Pool is open to all adults, and Retreat Pool Cabana rental will be available beginning at $50 for a half day.

Cabana Picnic – Passengers reserving a cabana in The Sanctuary or the Retreat Pool can not only enjoy the privacy and relaxed atmosphere, but can also pamper themselves with a gourmet picnic featuring a premium bottle of wine paired with a gourmet feast of antipasti, artisan sandwiches, pizza and even fresh-baked desserts. Picnic items passengers may find in their basket include Young Spinach Salad with Stilton Crumble, Pancetta Chips, Toasted Pecans and Black Pepper Vinaigrette; Ahi Tuna Poke with Hass Avocado, Red Onions, Sesame Seeds and Crisp Wonton Skins; and Alfredo's Surf & Turf Pizza with Lobster Medallions & Beef Tenderloin. Baskets serving two people will begin at $40.

Now, never having done The Sanctuary on any Princess Cruises ship, what is considered to be a 'Half Day'? Is that a certain number of hours, or a set time frame? Anyone know? THANKS! :)

Here are three videos linked from youtube where Captain Designate Tony Draper answers questions posted on Princess Cruises Facebook page:

Each video is only about 2 minutes long...

This information comes from a Press Release from last year on who some of the Senior Officers are going to be:

"When the new Royal Princess launches in June 2013, Captain Tony Draper will be at the helm of Princess Cruises’ newest vessel, leading a senior officer team with more than 100 years of seagoing experience among them. The senior four-stripe team will also include Relief Captain Dino Sagani, Chief Engineer Fabio Braccelli, Hotel General Manager Dirk Brand, and Staff Captain Tim Stringer.

“It takes a talented team to launch a new ship of the caliber of Royal Princess,” said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises executive vice president. “These experienced officers bring considerable seagoing and management skills that we believe will contribute to the success of the ship’s maiden season.”

Captain Tony Draper – Captain Tony Draper has been in command of a number of the company’s vessels since 2006, including Ruby Princess, Crown Princess, Caribbean Princess, Dawn Princess, Sun Princess and Coral Princess, as well as ships for sister companies P&O Australia and Cunard. Draper began his seagoing career with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary Service – the UK’s civilian manned supply and logistics division of the Royal Navy. After gaining his Masters Certificate in 1994, he also pursued a lifelong interest in aviation, gaining a UK commercial pilot’s license in the same year. In 1995, he joined Princess Cruises as navigator of the original Island Princess. It was on this ship, one of the original Love Boats, that he met his wife, Joanna. Originally from Scotland, Captain Draper now lives in Cornwall, UK with his wife and young daughter, Alysia.

Relief Captain Dino Sagani – Captain Dino Sagani commanded a variety of Princess vessels, including Sea Princess, Dawn Princess, Sapphire Princess and, most recently, Diamond Princess. Sagani was born in Trieste on the North East Adriatic coast of Italy. Following the family tradition, he studied at the Nautical College in Trieste, which is one of the oldest Nautical Schools in Europe. On completion of his studies, he joined the Italian Navy, serving on a minesweeper during the first Gulf War. After the Navy, he joined Princess Cruises in 1995, where he quickly climbed the ranks and was promoted to captain in 2007.

Chief Engineer Fabio Braccelli – Hailing from the town of Lerici along the Italian Riviera, Chief Engineer Fabio Braccelli oversees all the maintenance and operation of the ship’s extensive machinery systems. Braccelli has worked aboard 12 Princess ships, including most recently on Sapphire Princess. A graduate of the nautical school Nazario Sauro in La Spezia, Italy, Braccelli subsequently served in the Italian Navy and first joined Princess Cruises as a cadet in 1990 aboard the original Dawn Princess. He moved up through the engineering ranks and was promoted to chief engineer officer in 2004.

Hotel General Manager Dirk Brand – Hotel General Manager Dirk Brand will oversee all hotel functions aboard Royal Princess, a position he has held aboard a variety of Princess ships, including Ruby Princess during the ship’s inaugural. He has also worked aboard the ships of sister company Cunard. Brand was born in Berlin, Germany and grew up in Munich. After completing his education and apprenticeship in hotel management, he served with the Air Force in Sardinia, Italy. Fluent in three languages, Brand began his career at sea in 1998 as a senior assistant food and beverage director during the inaugural season of Grand Princess. He currently resides in Spain.

Staff Captain Tim Stringer – Head of the deck department and second in command to the captain, Staff Captain Tim Stringer has worked aboard eight Princess ships, plus several vessels from sister companies P&O and P&O Australia. He has also been involved in the plan approval team for the construction of the new Royal Princess. Stringer first joined Princess as a second officer aboard the original Royal Princess in 1995. A native of Bedford, England, Stringer began his career as a cadet aboard tankers, and holds both UK and Canadian master mariner certification."

Hi There

Cruise Director is Ron Goodman, cover when he is not there is

Samatha Hawker Thomas

for the Maiden she is sailing with two Cruise Directors

yours shogun

The BIG question is who Ron Goodman's Deputy Cruise Director is going to be? I think a lot of us are hoping it's his teammate Ryan from Ruby Princess. :D Still no official word on whether he is actually going to be transferred to Star Princess as previously (missymerv ;)) reported.

Archived