Everything ROYAL PRINCESS: What are you looking forward to MOST of all?

dmwnc1959

The fitness areas look intriguing - almost enough to make me want to bring along a pair of sneakers! I just need to find some that are cute and lightweight enough to justify taking up space in my luggage... suggestions are welcome!

Ah, this would be my area of expertise -- shoes. I may know nothing about the new Royal, but I know shoes!

If you haven't shopped for sneakers since the days of yore, you'll be amazed at how lightweight the new generation of athletic shoes are. I just bought some new ones that weigh only ounces. And are a cute pink w/gray zebra stripes. It's enough to make working out fun. Well, not fun. Tolerable. Fun when it's over.

Taking a cue from esteemed Cruise Critic member Shogun, and since this is suppose to be an 'Everything Royal Princess' thread, I thought it would be interesting to see where our fellow Cruise Critic members are cruising to in the inaugural season of the new Royal Princess.

Starting with the her pre-transatlantic sailings:

Maiden Iberian Voyage - June 16, 2013 (sold out)

8393513541_8d1e603dde_c.jpg

Maiden Mediterranean Voyage - June 23, 2013 (sold out)

8394598096_5a50893944_c.jpg

Let me give advance warning ;) on this next one. It's a bit of a hot mess. There are three sailings that are all in the same general direction (westbound) but port order and times differed, so it may look messy, but hopefully you can follow it.

Grand Mediterrean - July 5, July 29, and Sept. 15, 2013

8394598226_4f6a2943b7_c.jpg

Grand Mediterranean with Cannes - Auguest 22, 2013

8394598150_3f587b7155_c.jpg

This sailing has four departures, port order and times all the same...

Grand Mediterranean - July 17, Aug. 10, Sept. 3, Sept. 27, 2013

8393513763_5c9c6ec03c_c.jpg

Next up...

...the transatlantic and inaugural Caribbean season of Royal Princess!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Royal

"Princess Royal

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about British Royal title. For the class of steam locomotive, see Princess Royal Class. For Royal Navy ships, see HMS Princess Royal. For the wives of the Prince Royal of Portugal, see Princess Royal of Portugal.

HRH The Princess Royal

Princess Royal[1] is a style customarily (but not automatically) awarded by a British monarch to his or her eldest daughter. The style is held for life, so a princess cannot be given the style during the lifetime of another Princess Royal. In particular, Queen Elizabeth II never held the title as her aunt, Princess Mary, was in possession of the title.

There have been seven Princesses Royal.[2] Princess Anne is the current Princess Royal."

The fitness areas look intriguing - almost enough to make me want to bring along a pair of sneakers!

Quite agree! I will probably spend more time 'burning calories' in one form or another up there, and since I did this itinerary last year the incentive to go ashore is less. Looking forward to trying out that walking track!:D

We will be looking forward to your next installment. She really looks

amazing! 7 days at sea might not be enough!

A back-to-back may be in order! :p

Princess Anne is the current Princess Royal."

Excellent find! Thanks for the investigative work. Guess the Duchess of Cambridge can christen the next one. ;)

Thank you for starting this thread. The positive outlook is fantastic! And so is all the info. Keep up the great work.... :)

Bill & Joan

Hey, I remember you from one of the Roll Calls I had to bow out of. It was either the Caribbean Princess Bermuda Sampler from last year or the Royal Princess Caribbean Inaugural. I think I made a comment how NUTS everyone was on the Roll Call and all the fun Aussies that were in attendance. Were you the one with the barrel full of baby joeys? :D

Yep - guilty as charged. :eek: It was the Royal Princess Caribbean Inaugural that you bowed out of - sad for to tell !! Your theme of "NUTS" has expanded and continues to this day. Very Well Done. :)

The (wheel)barrow full of babies (joeys) will be released into the wild very shortly. They grow fast! They have lots of new BFF's out in the fields waiting for them.

Thanks again for this thread, Dave. Hope to meet you some day. We can talk about the years when we both lived in Naples, Italy!

Bill

Yep - guilty as charged. :eek: It was the Royal Princess Caribbean Inaugural that you bowed out of - sad for to tell !! Your theme of "NUTS" has expanded and continues to this day. Very Well Done. :)

This part made me so laugh out loud!!! Think I woke the neighbors. You guys were a fun bunch of 'Nuts' on that Roll Call. Glad I could contribute. Regret I won't get to sail with all of you. ;)

The (wheel)barrow full of babies (joeys) will be released into the wild very shortly. They grow fast! They have lots of new BFF's out in the fields waiting for them.

And that picture of them all in the barrow was soooo freaking cute! I hope they do well out there with their new BFF's. :)

Thanks again for this thread, Dave. Hope to meet you some day. We can talk about the years when we both lived in Naples, Italy!

Bill

You're the man, Bill. Absolutely LOVED living in Naples, Italy and finally getting the chance to share it with someone who could relate. One day we'll have that drink we talked about. :D

If you haven't shopped for sneakers since the days of yore, you'll be amazed at how lightweight the new generation of athletic shoes are. I just bought some new ones that weigh only ounces. And are a cute pink w/gray zebra stripes. It's enough to make working out fun. Well, not fun. Tolerable. Fun when it's over.

This is exactly what I was thinking! I bet a new pair of cute sneaks would be just the thing to get me moving more frequently. My old Nikes are so old that my teenagers make fun of them (and wouldn't be caught dead in them). We'll see how things go this spring when the snow melts... thanks!

The fitness areas look intriguing - almost enough to make me want to bring along a pair of sneakers! I just need to find some that are cute and lightweight enough to justify taking up space in my luggage... suggestions are welcome!

I visit the gym on all non-touring days and have been looking for a new "combo" sport shoe that is lightweight for walking on tours, and walking on the treadmill. Stopped by Shoe Dept. store yesterday and the sales clerk said a big seller is the "Go Walk" by Skechers. I tried a pair on and walked around the store. They feel good. I will go check out another pair in next couple days at the athletic shoe store and decide if I will go with the "Go Walk."

http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Womens-Lightweight-Shoes-Black/dp/B0068UCXS8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358603628&sr=8-5&keywords=go+walk+shoes

I visit the gym on all non-touring days and have been looking for a new "combo" sport shoe that is lightweight for walking on tours, and walking on the treadmill. Stopped by Shoe Dept. store yesterday and the sales clerk said a big seller is the "Go Walk" by Skechers. I tried a pair on and walked around the store. They feel good. I will go check out another pair in next couple days at the athletic shoe store and decide if I will go with the "Go Walk."

http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Womens-Lightweight-Shoes-Black/dp/B0068UCXS8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358603628&sr=8-5&keywords=go+walk+shoes

They also make these for men as well. May have to check these out myself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072DBT12?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Nike Free's are cute (many colors) and lightweight. However, I typically only use them when I do the stairmaster or some weight training. If I'm going to walk/run on the treadmill I like more support.

Check out the Nike Breathe, for those shopping for tennis shoes. Very lightweight with mesh sides plus some unique colors. I can usually only wear new balance. Best tennis shoes I have ever had!!

Hello Gracie65,

Have you posted on the other Royal threads. Just noticed you are N.MB. There is a M&G in Aprill at MB. Terri and Kat are organizing.

Franky

You're the man, Bill. Absolutely LOVED living in Naples, Italy and finally getting the chance to share it with someone who could relate. One day we'll have that drink we talked about. :D

How did you "luck out" to live in Naples area? My favorite place in the world is the Amalfi Coast. HEAVEN!

How did you "luck out" to live in Naples area? My favorite place in the world is the Amalfi Coast. HEAVEN!

Definitely one of the highlights of my life was living in Naples, Italy! For the final two years of my duty in the US Navy I specifically picked this because I knew what I could 'do', where I could visit, and the foods and cultures that were literally at my back door or were only an overnight train ride away.

Literally every weekend I was downtown sightseeing, taking the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii, Ercolano, or Sorrento, or the hydrofoils out to Capri. Several times a year we would head up to Rome, Florence, or any one of the multitude of small towns like Anzio, Siena, or Pisa, even as far as Venice for a three-day weekend. And you wouldn't believe some of the cruise ships I saw that docked downtown Naples. Even got to see the Achille Lauro several times.

And twice while I was over there I had family buy me a Eurail Pass and send it to me, then 'train' around Europe of two weeks. That was so amazing in it self. Also for those two year we bused up to the Oktoberfest in Munich and stayed in Garmish-Partenkirchen. Stunning vistas everywhere.

And a short hop away was Egypt, which we did an 8-day excursion to. Took one of the Sonesta Nile cruises, and visited everything from Abu Simbel to Luxor to the Pyramids.

That opportunities, the travel, and the things I saw filled more albums than you can imagine, and the memories will stay with me forever. :D

The September 27th 12-night Barcelona-Venice cruise was also combined with the October 9th 18-night Venice-Fort Lauderdale Transatlantic to make a spectacular 30-night Grand Adventure, but this combination has also completely sold out.

After her inaugural debut in the Mediterranean, Royal Princess leaves Venice for one last journey through some of southern Europe's most historic and sun drenched ports of call before heading across the Atlantic Ocean for America, spending seven straight glorious days at sea between Madeira and Florida!

Maiden Passage - Oct 9, 2013 - (sold out)

8397859224_2048c4f66b_c.jpg

After her arrival into Port Everglades the Royal Princess will engage in all sorts of media and travel agent functions before departing on her first ever cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure those condo towers are going to go NUTS!!!

Caribbean Maiden Voyage - October, 29, 2013

8397859314_fa745a6dda_c.jpg

Once she returns from that sailing, Royal Princess settles into her weekly trips to the beautiful eastern Caribbean.

Eastern Caribbean - November 3rd, 2013 to April 27, 2014

8396773447_4fbccc3059_c.jpg

Definitely one of the highlights of my life was living in Naples, Italy! For the final two years of my duty in the US Navy I specifically picked this because I knew what I could 'do', where I could visit, and the foods and cultures that were literally at my back door or were only an overnight train ride away.

Literally every weekend I was downtown sightseeing, taking the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii, Ercolano, or Sorrento, or the hydrofoils out to Capri. Several times a year we would head up to Rome, Florence, or any one of the multitude of small towns like Anzio, Siena, or Pisa, even as far as Venice for a three-day weekend. And you wouldn't believe some of the cruise ships I saw that docked downtown Naples. Even got to see the Achille Lauro several times.

And twice while I was over there I had family buy me a Eurail Pass and send it to me, then 'train' around Europe of two weeks. That was so amazing in it self. Also for those two year we bused up to the Oktoberfest in Munich and stayed in Garmish-Partenkirchen. Stunning vistas everywhere.

And a short hop away was Egypt, which we did an 8-day excursion to. Took one of the Sonesta Nile cruises, and visited everything from Abu Simbel to Luxor to the Pyramids.

That opportunities, the travel, and the things I saw filled more albums than you can imagine, and the memories will stay with me forever. :D

Dave, you are fortunate to have those memories. :) My travels as a flight attendant 1965-67 to France, Germany, Holland, Great Britian are great memories that I cherish.

How far do you live from Elkins? A roommate from my Wash.DC days is from that quaint little town and I visited a couple times. I'm not a bluegrass fan but went to a small festival that was fun, fun, fun.

Hello Gracie65,

Have you posted on the other Royal threads. Just noticed you are N.MB. There is a M&G in Aprill at MB. Terri and Kat are organizing.

Franky

We live in the MB area..is the M&G for a specific sailing of the Royal or just for folks on the transatlantic?? Would love to hear more!

Thanks!

Dave, you are fortunate to have those memories. :) My travels as a flight attendant 1965-67 to France, Germany, Holland, Great Britian are great memories that I cherish.

How far do you live from Elkins? A roommate from my Wash.DC days is from that quaint little town and I visited a couple times. I'm not a bluegrass fan but went to a small festival that was fun, fun, fun.

Being a flight attendant must have been an amazing job! Unfortunately some people these days treat flight attendants like waiters. And I can imagine all the great fun you must have had bouncing around Europe. I have a friend now who is a flight attendant and he did the run back and forth between London for several years. He loves international travel! I'm sure that's a job that would push my limits of being 'nice' to some people. ;)

Elkins is about 75 minutes southeast of Clarksburg down towards the mountains. I've been down there twice to board the New Tygart Flyer scenic train excursion. Nice country down there and a real nice train ride.

http://mountainrailwv.com/choose-a-train/tygart-flyer

And I really do love to travel! At least when I was a bit younger and more adventurous. Another one of my great travel memories was from our visit to Kenya and the photo safari that we did out to Tsavo National Park. And after I got out of the Navy I spent two months in Indonesia and a month in India trekking around. Also spent some time in Hong Kong and Singapore at the beginning and end of that trip. Those were some amazing journeys.

Getting much too old for that now. Just put me on a comfortable cruise ship... :D

Sunsetbeachgal we must be neighbors I'm in little river, sc can't wait to hear about your sailing I have a group from here going 11/17.

Yes, we live in Ocean Isle Beach so we are neighbors! We are very excited about our Royal sailing, just wish the price would come down (plenty of cabins are available!). I will probably do some LIVE posting, not sure how much until I see how fast their Internet connection is!!

Yes, we live in Ocean Isle Beach so we are neighbors! We are very excited about our Royal sailing, just wish the price would come down (plenty of cabins are available!). I will probably do some LIVE posting, not sure how much until I see how fast their Internet connection is!!

Hello, Ocean Isle Beach!! I lived on Ocean Isle Beach back in the '60s, working at Shalotte. That house is no longer there, however.

Looking forward to: (my favorite) an Ol' Blue Eyes martini at Crooners on the Island and then the Royal this year. Might see you there!!??!!

After her arrival into Port Everglades the Royal Princess will engage in all sorts of media and travel agent functions before departing on her first ever cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure those condo towers are going to go NUTS!!!

Caribbean Maiden Voyage - October, 29, 2013

8397859314_fa745a6dda_c.jpg

We're on this sailing and flying into FLL 10/26 so we can see her arrive, as well as enjoy some pre-cruise time (have never spent more than 1 night there before a cruise).

We're on this sailing and flying into FLL 10/26 so we can see her arrive, as well as enjoy some pre-cruise time (have never spent more than 1 night there before a cruise).

I am sure it will be amazing to see her sitting there at Terminal 2 for the first time ever! I loved the views from the 17th Street bridge. There are two viewing platforms, one on either side of the split were it raises, were you can get nice pictures from. The one on the east side (the half closer to the Hyatt hotel side) will give a better view of the ship.

Keep in mind that she will probably be arriving well before 6am that first morning! ;) Sunrise is at 7:26am.

Havent figured out when we are flying down yet

Last year I flew down early and did 2-nights pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale. The first day I arrived around 2pm and checked into the hotel which was on SE 17th Street and about a 7 minute walk from the bridge. I would go down in the mornings and afternoons and look at the ships, then head to the beach arriving around 4pm and watch them leave. It was very cool!

This year I am flying in the day before and arriving around 8pm. I enjoyed my stay last year but did most everything I wanted to do. I'll definitely get up that Sunday morning to watch her pull in even though the sun won't be up yet. I'm sure she'll be stunning all lit up! :D

Archived