Dress Code Offenders

Boobaby

The dress code needs to be followed at all times (except in the Lido during the day) and violators should receive punishment. For those that don't want to follow the dress code, I'm sure that Carnival ships would suit you much better. HAL needs to better enforce the dress code to keep the traditional ambiance and elegance aboard their ships.

I understand, but I was speaking of hats, not head coverings related to ones culture or religion.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I started thinking about this and thought just maybe, baseball hats are part of a culture or religion.

"You might be a redneck if you have a very special baseball cap for formal occasions. "

I remember that thread. It appeared it was a one time occurrence. No one else has reported this since. Yes, it was over the top and ridiculous.

Evidently not so "one time" and not "over the top and ridiculous" in the eyes of HAL who was very clear with me they they "preferred" no shorts in the dining room and it was up to the individual Maitre D's to decide what is appropriate and what is not in the main dining room.

Evidently not so "one time" and not "over the top and ridiculous" in the eyes of HAL who was very clear with me they they "preferred" no shorts in the dining room and it was up to the individual Maitre D's to decide what is appropriate and what is not in the main dining room.

I know it is up to the Maitre D, but where are all these other cruises where shorts were banned? I only recall it happening on one cruise, so I referred to it as a "One Time Occurrence."

I only remember one report here of 'no shorts allowed in the dining room at breakfast or lunch' and it was on the Statendam. Subsequent Statendam pax said there was no problem at all wearing shorts (other than in the evening).

If someone at HAL said they preferred no shorts at any time in the dining room, but were leaving the definition of appropriate dress up to the individual Maitre d's, then somebody in Seattle ought to get out of their office asap and onto the ships- shorts at breakfast/lunch is the least of their problems. Why doesn't he start with dinner and enforce a standard policy on all ships rather than worry about a problem that doesn't exist. :(

That was me that posted about no shorts in the dining room for breakfast/lunch on the Statendam last year when our friends sailed to Hawaii. My friend always dresses very nicely and had on a pair of Bermuda shorts with a nice golf shirt. She has always dressed like this for breakfast on her many HAL cruises and was flabbergasted when she was not allowed into the dining room. She went back to their Suite and put on a pair of slacks.

Since that cruise, I have never seen or heard that this has happened since that cruise and I am sure we would have heard had it happend on subsequent cruises.

Yes, it is up to the individual Maitre'd to determine what is appropriate and what is not, but this one went way over the top.

Heather, who at HAL told you that they "preferred" no shorts in the dining room at breakfast or lunch? Whenever we eat there during the day I always wear Bermuda shorts and I've been doing that for 24 years. :rolleyes:

Should people who dress informally on formal dining nights be told to leave?

Should people wearing jeans or jogging suits at any dining room dinner be told to leave?

Should men be told to remove their hats in the dining room?

I think so, do you?

We just had a 400 (+) replies on our Carnival thread about the same thing but then the moderator removed it because it got out of hand but my 2 cents.

People who dont dress up for formal night should NOT be told to leave. They paid the same amout of money as everyone else and should use all the same facilities.

Jeans as long as they are clean and not ripped should be acceptable in the dining room. Jogging suits I personally wouldnt wear one, but if you do "More power to you"; and

Removing hats.. well I know my hubby would but if someone doesnt, then thats their right..

Vacation is vacation..

People should be able to wear what they like and feel comfortable with. ;)

So I called Ship's Services and was told that it is up to the discretion of the Maitre D' on each HAL ship. They have the right to turn away passengers dressed in shorts from having breakfast in the main dining room.

Here is Heather's post for those confused by what she said - she states she called and was told they have the right to turn pax away... it is up to each Maitre D' - really, folks it's not all that confusing. :)

We just had a 400 (+) replies on our Carnival thread about the same thing but then the moderator removed it because it got out of hand but my 2 cents.

People who dont dress up for formal night should NOT be told to leave. They paid the same amout of money as everyone else and should use all the same facilities.

Jeans as long as they are clean and not ripped should be acceptable in the dining room. Jogging suits I personally wouldnt wear one, but if you do "More power to you"; and

Removing hats.. well I know my hubby would but if someone doesnt, then thats their right..

Vacation is vacation..

My point exactly!:)

Here is Heather's post for those confused by what she said - she states she called and was told they have the right to turn pax away... it is up to each Maitre D' - really, folks it's not all that confusing. :)

So who was confused by Heather's post. No one I can see. It is understood that a pax can be turned away and that it is up to each Maitre d' to set his own policy of what he allows in his dining room, not withstanding that HAL publishes a dress code that you would think would serve as a guide or standard which each M-d' would follow. If not, what is the purpose of having the code?

I simply said that it is ludicrous for Ships Services to tell Heather that HAL prefers no shorts in the dining room, as if that was a problem during the day. Many of the ships are allowing everything from jeans, to tank shirts, to shorts, to T-shirts in the dining room even on some on formal nights, yet Ships Services is worried about bermuda shorts at breakfast!? Somebody in Seattle has their head in the sand and would prefer not to acknowledge what is going on on the ships and pass the blame on to the maitre d's. :mad:

So who was confused by Heather's post. No one I can see.

Well, it appears that gizmo and Esme were both questioning it - I NEVER indicated ANYTHING about you (or anyone else, for that matter!) but maybe you missed their posts asking the question.

It seems to me that when certain people post - certain others come along and "jump" on the poster; like it's a game of "one-upmanship" or something. I have seen many of these folks going to ANY lengths to prove someone wrong or to try and embarrass them - it's all so ridiculous.

I for one, am simply tired of it.

Also, I don't know what I ever did that offends you so, but this kind of thing is precisely the reason I've been avoiding these boards for the past few weeks. No sooner had I posted, when I see you questioning me and using the mad face at the end of your comment - again.

I wish I'd avoided this thread too, but as I said - I get tired of seeing it.

This is the first time I ever heard of this.

I am not confused but I do have some questions.

1. I was not aware that Hal preferred this. Is this published anywhere? I have always worn shorts to the dining room for breakfast and lunch. I would be sad to see this change.
  2. There are a couple here that think it is 'one time'. Heather your post indicates it is not. Are you aware of any other cruises that shorts were not allowed? My family would hit the roof if this happened on one of our cruises.

Anyone else want to join us barefoot, bra-less and in their nightshirt for breakfast in the Neptune Lounge?

Cheers

General Max

Sorry Max,

On the Statendam we were given a notice by the concierge that we had to be appropiatly dressed in the Neptune Lounge. No robes or PJ's allowed.

Linda

This is the first time I ever heard of this.

I am not confused but I do have some questions.

1. I was not aware that Hal preferred this. Is this published anywhere? I have always worn shorts to the dining room for breakfast and lunch. I would be sad to see this change.
  2. There are a couple here that think it is 'one time'. Heather your post indicates it is not. Are you aware of any other cruises that shorts were not allowed? My family would hit the roof if this happened on one of our cruises.

Odd Ball -

Last year (give or take a few months) poster Emse (as she indicates in her above post) said that a friend of hers was turned away from the D/R wearing nice shorts. Many folks were surprised, as quite a few of us have worn them in the D/R on many occassions. I think Heather was getting ready to go on a cruise and called Ship Services to find out what the policy was... she was told it was up to each Maitre D' and they had the right to refuse entry for antone wearing shorts.

I honestly don't think that most inforce that policy. We don't eat too often in the D/R, but I know we have worn shorts on several occassions. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I still plan to wear shorts next time I cruise and decide to eat in the D/R. :)

Sorry Max,

On the Statendam we were given a notice by the concierge that we had to be appropiatly dressed in the Neptune Lounge. No robes or PJ's allowed.

Linda

Linda -

Did this really happen? I'm curious, we saw a few in robes on the Volendam, personally, I don't leave my cabin (even for Neptune coffee) without being dressed, but I've seen it done by others many times...

Sorry Max,

Linda

I find this interesting and another first. (Not that I would ever go to the Neptune lounge with PJ's or a robe.:D )

I am sure there was a thread discussing this recently. I think there was someone who said they wore their robe or maybe it was they saw robes in the lounge.

Vacation is vacation..

My point exactly!

Everyone is entitled to the lifestyle of their choice. Everyone is entitled to the vacation they paid for. If you want a casual cruise, chose a casual cruise line. If you want a formal cruise, chose a formal cruise line.

I promise not to wear my formal gown on your casual cruise and ruin the casual atmosphere of your evening. i would not want to "cramp your style" or "stuffy" things up. All I ask is reciprocity. I will respect you and I ask that you respect me.

It's just that simple.

Linda

My point exactly!

Everyone is entitled to the lifestyle of their choice. Everyone is entitled to the vacation they paid for. If you want a casual cruise, chose a casual cruise line. If you want a formal cruise, chose a formal cruise line.

I promise not to wear my formal gown on your casual cruise and ruin the casual atmosphere of your evening. i would not want to "cramp your style" or "stuffy" things up. All I ask is reciprocity. I will respect you and I ask that you respect me.

It's just that simple.

Linda

Linda - Very well put. Thank you! :)

Linda -

Did this really happen? I'm curious, we saw a few in robes on the Volendam, personally, I don't leave my cabin (even for Neptune coffee) without being dressed, but I've seen it done by others many times...

Yes, it really did happen. There was a note from the concierge in the Suite when we arrived. We did not see anyone in the Neptune in robes, however we did see people walking around the ship wearing robes. It made me wonder if Hal would rethink giving everyone robes.

Imagine people in the Lido and the shops in robes. We even saw a man out on deck in his robe and pj's when we were viewing Kilawa at night. It was astounding. People seemed not to realise they were out in public.

Linda

Archived