• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Silly sunscreen question - How much do you bring for the caribbean sun -7 day cruise?

Newcruiser35

OK so I tell my doctor after getting the flu shot that I'm going on vacation. He tells me applied correctly I should be using about 1oz of sunscreen per application. "knew this already but rarely do it"

Come home to find DW got an 8oz bottle to share between us. We'll be gone for 8days Dr says we're supposed to re apply after swimming and or every 2-3hours of expected sun exposure. Thats alot of oz:eek: No we're not going to actually bring 50+oz of sunscreen, maybe another 8oz bottle at most. Oh and its SPF 50 UVA/UVB protection.

So how much do you bring for a 7day caribbean cruise.

We take at least three 8 oz bottles plus a spray of 50 SPF and above. We try and stay out of the direct sun as much as possible, but still use plenty of sun block. The sun rays are too hazardous for me not to use ample sunscreen.:)

I pack 2 brand new (full) cans of Bullfrog 36 spray for my husband and myself, per week. I had skin cancer on my face years ago, and my surgeon recommended Bullfrog. I've never gotten burned using it. BTW, apply even if you don't think you'll need it, you can get burned even if it's cloudy and cool. Also, pack some aloe gel to keep in the fridge just in case. And, wear a cap to keep your head protected, and good sunglasses, too! :)

I pack 3, 8 ounce bottles per person, per week. I also pack a full bottle of spray to share per 2 people. We don't skimp on sunscreen. We rarely get burned. Don't mess around with the Caribbean sun! It will burn you faster than you think. I am always amazed how so many people are burnt to a crisp on our cruises that we have been on. If you run out and buy it on the ship or in port, you will pay at least double.

Direct sunlight is only half the problem. The sun's rays will also reflect off the ocean and the pool. I bring an 8 oz of 50 SPF per person. Better safe than sorry.

htto://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

On our last Caribbean cruise in JUNE (summer solstice--longest day of the year) my husband and I packed 1 8 oz tube (SPF 30), 2 spray cans (30 SPF), plus my facial moisturizer is 15 SPF, and I had a faces only tube of 70 SPF. I sat in the shade as often as I could and always wore a hat. My husband was not as cautious. Came home with half the tube and we used all of the spray (although I think the high usage was partially caused by the wind)

An adult should use 1oz ( a shotglass full) every 2 hours, and everytime you dry off with a towel!....so multiply how long you think you'll be in the sun by oz's...and you'll know how much you'll need!

Sunscreen that says it's "waterproof" is not towel-proof! So when you dry off, you've just wiped off your protection!

I burn super fast and super easy so I usually bring 4 cans of spray sunscreen, 1 tube of face sunscreen, and 1 to 2 bottles of lotion. Everything is 70+ SPF. I usually reapply every couple of hours if I'm just laying on the beach and then everytime I get out of the water. I also stay in the shade but I still tend to turn slightly pink in the Caribbean.

I had skin cancer on my face, so I pretty much stay out of the sun as much as possible. I do pack about 7 3 oz tubes of number 70, and so far, so good. By the way, I've never seen an 8 oz. tube.

I have been buying refillable tubes at Rite Aid. They are fabulous. They come in about 3.3 oz size and the other is around 8 ounces.

I love that I can transfer half a large, heavy tube of whatever product out of the manufacturer's tube into these smaller tubes and not have to lug they heavy one that is too much more than we can need of whatever it is such as some lotions I use. I got tired of leaving half full, perfectly good tubes of product behind because I wanted to reduce weight of our luggage coming home. Now I don't waste it.

These refillable tubes are very inexpensive.

Tip from the melanoma capital of the world: Apply your first "foundation layer" sunscreen of the day at least 20 minutes before going outside and not just on sunny days. You can still burn on overcast days, especially at sea from reflected light.

We went on a cruise in August to the Western Caribbean, family of 4 - 2 adults, 2 children. We took 2 spray bottles of sunscreen - 2 small trial sizes - SPF 50 - and we ran out. We had to buy another bottle in Cozumel and it was something like $20 a bottle. Don't forget to bring a hat! Happy Travels

im trying to visualize what an 8oz bottle looks like and i picture the small travel size.. thats too small.. however im tryin to recall a time when i have ever finished a "normal" sized bottle of sunscreen in a WHOLE summer let alone one a week long cruise.. unless were talking the spray bottle. cus those i can kill i about 2 weeks.. ( they just dont last most blows away in the wind )

For a week, I'd bring at least 2 cans of the spray stuff per person. The sun in the Carribean really is more damaging than up north. I only get SPF 30 since from what I read reapplying is more important than getting a higher SPF. Depends of course a lot on your skin type, and how much time you spend in the sun.

Several years ago, I discovered the Lands End rash guards with long sleeve shirts. They are the equivalent of an SPF50 that we wear while swimming. Love them!! I haven't burnt once with them, and before I would always burn no matter how often I applied sunscreen. They are also great if you are on an excursion where you can't wear sunscreen--like the swim with the dolphins or snorkeling excursions.

Archived