RC from Galveston... fall of 2014

Well, our little group (3 couples, 3 suites) got together yesterday to pick our 2nd planned cruise for this year. The choices calendar wise came down to Mariner Galveston or making the fall Brilliance relo cruise a B2B.

One of the couples flatly refused to do Galveston again based on our little group's experience in November - so a bit of Galveston's business now goes to Boston (along with the hotels, restaurants, shuttles, etc.).

Hope you guys lobby your port commission for changes because I'm sure we aren't the only ones crossing you off the list.

BTW - reduced potential passengers lead to decreased prices to fill the ship which leads to losing the ship.

Good luck down there.

Well, our little group (3 couples, 3 suites) got together yesterday to pick our 2nd planned cruise for this year. The choices calendar wise came down to Mariner Galveston or making the fall Brilliance relo cruise a B2B.

One of the couples flatly refused to do Galveston again based on our little group's experience in November - so a bit of Galveston's business now goes to Boston (along with the hotels, restaurants, shuttles, etc.).

Hope you guys lobby your port commission for changes because I'm sure we aren't the only ones crossing you off the list.

BTW - reduced potential passengers lead to decreased prices to fill the ship which leads to losing the ship.

Good luck down there.

This seems to me an emotional rather than a thought out decision.

You will pay twice as much for hotels, restaurants and transportation in Boston and you have no guaranty that you will have any better experience in the port of Boston than you had in Galveston.

This seems to me an emotional rather than a thought out decision.

You will pay twice as much for hotels, restaurants and transportation in Boston and you have no guaranty that you will have any better experience in the port of Boston than you had in Galveston.

Have cruised Boston before and, nope, not double - not even close.

Disagree with the emotional response judgement too. When I brought up Galveston as a possibility the comments I heard back was something like "no way am I standing in line for 2+ house in that ungodly third-world warehouse again".

Seems to be an informed conclusion that is based on personally known fact rather than emotions.

Not my words - just relating the attitude the port is portraying - but can't honestly say I disagree.

You just can't please everyone all the time:(

We too, were booked on the Brilliance, until the Navigator TA was announced.

Brilliance TA to Boston was 4 times the cost of the Navigator.

Not only are we on the TA but the Italian/Spanish Riviera cruise as well as staying a week in Italy pre-cruise. The total trip for 4 weeks being less than just the Brilliance TA.

BTW: Have yet to take more than 30 minutes to disembark and be home on any cruise into Galveston.

Yes, we were on the November TA - off ship, cleared customs and immigration, waited for house sitter 10 minutes and home in 3 minutes all within 20 minutes.

And if your friends don't like our "warehouse", don't sail out of Civitavecchia (Rome) as their facilities are just a big tent:eek:

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

Here's my take on the complaining about the Galveston terminal situation....For me, it's worth any waiting I might have to endure to get on or off the ship. I'm lucky that I don't have to fly in or spend money on a hotel. I live 20 minutes from Galveston. We can hang out at home and drive over the causeway at our leisure. I'll stand in line with a big smile on my face. After all...I'm going on a CRUISE!!!! :D:D:D

KW is nice and toasty compared to MN!!! :D But Cuba would be a cool port, are Americans allowed to visit them yet??

Someday soon I will be sailing again.

The trip from Galveston to KW can often be cold and rainy across the Gulf of Mexico during the winter. The nice thing about going south is you rarely have any really cold weather once you wake up in the morning when headed south instead of east. :rolleyes:

Beachin - thank you for wishes of good luck. We certainly need it considering that Carnival has 2 ships, Royal has one, Princess has one, Disney has one. Most ships sail at capacity or close to it. Galveston is a wonderful port for many people - just not everyone. Since you will never be departing from Galveston again, perhaps its time to move along? We get it - you don't like Galveston. Isn't it great that there are so many ports to select from? You don't have to feel forced to come back.

• 1 year later...
Have cruised Boston before and, nope, not double - not even close.

Disagree with the emotional response judgement too. When I brought up Galveston as a possibility the comments I heard back was something like "no way am I standing in line for 2+ house in that ungodly third-world warehouse again".

Seems to be an informed conclusion that is based on personally known fact rather than emotions.

Not my words - just relating the attitude the port is portraying - but can't honestly say I disagree.

Beachin, are you kim and Joe?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Forums mobile app

And er.....

I like Galveston, love the strand, loved the Wentletrap, worked on renovation of the Elissa.

Loved Kemah also. OK.. so I 45 could be a pain in the summer when the beaches emptied:what:

Do you realize this thread is a year and a half old?

Yes I do. But we sailed with then a year ago and they were fun. We lost contact information. Yesterday much to my surprise.. on the thread of that year old cruise.. it came to the surface (rather like this one did) and they had evidently posted asking to get in touch with us.

So while brousing topics that interested me.. Galveston being one of them.. I saw a post by them so thought I too would try to reach out. Plus share a little of what makes the port of Galveston interesting.

Naturally I am presuming that ships still sail out of Galveston?

If they do, then any information is relevant. If they stopped sailing from there a year and a half ago, I am so sorry.

Yes I do. But we sailed with then a year ago and they were fun. We lost contact information. Yesterday much to my surprise.. on the thread of that year old cruise.. it came to the surface (rather like this one did) and they had evidently posted asking to get in touch with us.

So while brousing topics that interested me.. Galveston being one of them.. I saw a post by them so thought I too would try to reach out. Plus share a little of what makes the port of Galveston interesting.

Naturally I am presuming that ships still sail out of Galveston?

If they do, then any information is relevant. If they stopped sailing from there a year and a half ago, I am so sorry.

The Navigator sails from Galveston now. I hope you can get in touch with them.

There are 3 carnival ships , Disney and rcl navigator in 2014/2015.

Liberty of Seas RCL will be in Galveston Nov 2015.

RCL has locked in with 5 year contract with options to sail from Galveston

for next 11 years. Contract also provides for second RCL ship or even bigger ship than Liberty at RCL option.

A 12 million improvement to terminal 2

is in progress and a third terminal is being studied

and will probably happen.

Edited by ssb