An Epic sail...Views from a crazy solo

luv2cruise53

Hey everybody;

My name is Kev and I have most recently concluded my Star review. With some persuasion and a little hubris I have decided to add a new/ old review...My experiences on the Norwegian Epic as a solo traveler on Spring break ....March 2011.

It sounds enticing...but trust me it is more untraditional than most might think.

I will present a realistic and hopefully factual friendly view of a solo advnture on the Epic. I hope you can forgive the delay and mistakes over time.. OK?

Thank's Kev

First I will give you a quick synopsis of myself so you will know where I am coming from and can base your opinion on that. I am Kevin and I am 54 years old and I am from Boston. I lost my partner of 12 years in 2010 from multiple cancers. We were avid cruisers after our inaugural NCL majesty from Boston to Bermuda. This voyage will be my first solo voyage. I have had many misgivings on solo travel but since I have the Cruise bug I have been scared but optimistic on how to travel alone. Since the death of my partner I have traveled with friends and family... My personality is rather strong so that when I travel with family or friends they tend to pick me as a leader. For instance: Kevin, where are we gonna go eat...I dunno, there are twelve restaurants ...go pick one. Where should we lie out on the deck...anywhere you can find a chair. Which show are we going to go to. Pick one....etc....and on and on. I am on vacation and don't want to make decisions so now I travel solo....LOL... I am a 2 major graduate student in English and Historical Archives at University of Massachusetts Boston. I like being a student since there are no jobs anyways. I Travel exclusively on NCL so I cannot say what my experiences are say to RCI or a Carnival ship so I usually compare from one NCL to another. This review will be on the Epic out of Miami to the Eastern Caribbean for the week of March

12-19th 2011. I know it is a while back but many friends and loyal readers have asked me to post this so I will.

So sit back, relax and have some fun..cause a Kev review is anything but boring....

Kev:cool:

So to begin this Epic adventure we need to start with the basics...My partner always proclaimed I was too obsessive with planning and schedules and the what like so I need to clarify that shortcoming,...or in my opinion asset.... Who knew?

On our first Bermuda cruise my Donald took some very good pictures...he was a natural camera/photo type...who always fixated the frame to the surroundings. He was in actuality a Doctor of internal medicine,..but when it came time to be treated he was left out to eventuality...

His pictures were phenomenal and when I reviewed them after, I found one that was truly special. I entered it on-line to a travel magazine and was awarded first place. The prize was a round trip ticket anywhere in the Continental US.

Here was Donald's award winnig pic from Bermuda...Titled A Horseshoe Sunset:

8169431688_13aac9cc0c_b.jpg

So with prize in hand, an a natural vent for cruising I researched, parlayed and talked to my family to determine that an Epic Solo adventure was in the cards..

So next up: Kev's solo adventure on the Epic.

Kev:cool::cool:

I'm so sorry about the loss of your partner and kudos to you for having the fortitude to go solo.

I spent all but the last 3 years of my life in the Boston area. My first cruise was Boston to Bermuda on the NCL Majesty. My only other cruise was on the Pearl, and I'm scheduled to go on the Epic in March! So, Im looking forward to this review!

I'm so sorry about the loss of your partner and kudos to you for having the fortitude to go solo.

I spent all but the last 3 years of my life in the Boston area. My first cruise was Boston to Bermuda on the NCL Majesty. My only other cruise was on the Pearl, and I'm scheduled to go on the Epic in March! So, Im looking forward to this review!

That was also our first cruise ever...NCL majesty to Bermuda docking at St Georges. Although a smaller ship the Majesty was very special and I think it hooked a lot of Bostonians to cruising and NCL.

Thank's for your support.

Donald's photo is spectacular!!!! & I'm sorry for your loss...

I'm heading off on a Solo Epic cruise in a week and a half, so your review is coming at the perfect time :) Looking forward to more, thanks for sharing!

Kev,

I so enjoyed your Star review as it had me in stitches! I am so very sorry about your loss of your beloved partner. He was obviously your world.

I look forward to this review with bated breath!

Back in the 90's I did the Boston to Bermuda on The Royal Majesty (to become NCL's majesty) two times and it was so wonderful! One of my ancestors has a plaque in the Church in St. George as she had consumption and was shipped from Hartford to Bermuda in the 1800s (i think). Anyway, I will await your Epic adventure!

That was also our first cruise ever...NCL majesty to Bermuda docking at St Georges. Although a smaller ship the Majesty was very special and I think it hooked a lot of Bostonians to cruising and NCL.

Thank's for your support.

There was somwthing special about the Majesty going thru the narrow passage with the cannonfire as your welcome. Too bad , today's passengers don't have that experience.

I ALWAYS loved the approach and wondering "How in the heck are we going to fit through THAT?". I had many pics of being so close to the colorful homes that I wanted to reach out and touch. Alas, all of my photos were destroyed in 2010 when our home burned down. I can see them in my mind so as long as I still have that, I am ok. Thanks for bringing back those memories!:)

There was somwthing special about the Majesty going thru the narrow passage with the cannonfire as your welcome. Too bad , today's passengers don't have that experience.

The Majesty had lots of charm for a small ship. We had the pleasure of sailing on her three times. Once to the Bahamas and twice to Bermuda. Entering the cut as the town's people gathered and fired their cannon was very exciting. Although I love docking at the Dock Yard, this is something special that is missing.

I can already tell this is going to be a good read! :)

Although I devour all things Epic, hence my reading this thread, I was drawn to the picture your partner took in Bermuda. It's absolutely beautiful. I was lucky enough to spend a week at Horseshoe Bay a LOOOOONG time ago......happy memories!

Ken, may I say I'm looking forward to more.......I haven't come across your reviews before, but I'm glad to be on-board now!

And I'd also like to add my condolences on the loss of your partner. God Bless.

:cool:

I can already tell this is going to be a good read! :)

Although I devour all things Epic, hence my reading this thread, I was drawn to the picture your partner took in Bermuda. It's absolutely beautiful. I was lucky enough to spend a week at Horseshoe Bay a LOOOOONG time ago......happy memories!

Ken, may I say I'm looking forward to more.......I haven't come across your reviews before, but I'm glad to be on-board now!

And I'd also like to add my condolences on the loss of your partner. God Bless.

Thank you for your great thoughts.

Here is the link for the recent Star review I just completed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732203&page=17

This will give you an idea of my...Kev...not Ken..LOL writing style.

It was a humorous account and it certainly will be hard to top it or find better material.

Thank you

Kev

:cool:

Thank you for your great thoughts.

Here is the link for the recent Star review I just completed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732203&page=17

This will give you an idea of my...Kev...not Ken..LOL writing style.

It was a humorous account and it certainly will be hard to top it or find better material.

Thank you

Kev

Excited to read your review, I'm so sorry for your loss.

So...I always start a post with the word so...It's a great segue to any stupid thing I might say.

So I booked on-line through the NCL site. Then I called and spoke to someone that answered about my reservation and if I was elegible for any OBC... I was not, however I did enjoy my conversation and learned a little about the solo cabins.

This is my general method of booking....Through the website or direct with NCL. I once booked through Expedia and had a wonderful experience..and a great price but since NCL has limited TA's to their own pricing (unless they book a block of cabins) I prefer direct so that I...and Me can control my booking. I do not use a PCC don't even get me started on those nightmares....Some..not all PCC's no little or nothing about the product they are selling, so I have learned to speak to anyone nice who answers the phone and if I do not like the answer..I supervise....that is ask to speak to a supervisor. Supervisors have a bit of leniency when it comes to solving problems or fixing mistakes.

So I am booked and now I need a flight. My prize from that unnamed

Travel Mag is a round trip anywhere etc...so I booked a Delta out of Boston for Thursday March 10th to MIA. I needed a Hotel for 2 days prior and 2 days post ..as I wanted to get in a little South Beach as well. (First $ Mistake..LOL) I checked on line at the NCL site and they were offering The Biscayne Bay Marriot for $169.00 per night. Kev said, hey thats pretty good...for such a nice hotel...but to be sure I googled them and they wanted $300.00 per night plus almost $500.00 for the returning Saturday.

So loyalists...what do you think Kev did...Yep he booked his four nights through NCL and was happy for it. Never book a hotel before checking out NCL's prices.

So on March 10th I blue lined it to Logan Airport, boarded my Delta skinny jet and flew like the wind to MIA. A taxi ride later and I was ceremoniously dropped at the Biscayne Bay Marriot and shown to a 27th floor suite with a view...no less...of South Beach and the Miami cruise port.

8389898817_750df9ff6f_b.jpg

Next Up: Some South Beach Miami Fun

Archived