A Former HAL Fan Cruises Oceania

HeatherInFlorida

I haven't been on the HAL board for a couple of years, but some of my old friends here were interested in my thoughts about my recent Oceania Riviera cruise so I'm providing a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36754703#post36754703

As many know, I was a huge HAL fan, but things change and we have to open our world to new possibilities. I know some of my old friends have upcoming cruises on Oceania. I'm looking forward to your comparisons.

Short and sweet, Oceania won us over. When DH comes home without one single complaint, I know we've found a new home:).

When I've uploaded the photos, the link will be in my signature. Happy Cruising!

Before hubby and i retired we could afford Oceania's prices and took two ta's on Oceania. It was a great experience.

We were on the older smaller ships and loved the small size that allowed us to get to know our fellow passengers.

Even though the cabins were smaller than those on HAL, we had the same impeccable service.

Even though passengers are limited in how many times they can make reservations for the specialty restaurants, we appreciated that there was no extra charge for them. And since the meals in the MDR were gourmet we didn't mind the limit to the number of specialty dining reservations. We felt the food was better on Oceania. Is it still gourmet dining?

We liked that no one had assigned dining. It was open seating for everyone on the ship and even though shared seating was encouraged, it was optional. (We usually did shared seating.)

For us, best of all there were no formal nights. I don't remember the dress code but everyone's attire was appropriate for the elegant dining room.

Even though we enjoy HAL, we wish we could afford Oceania on some of their itineraries.

So glad to read your great review, Heather, and even happier to hear the Oceania cruise was beyond your expectations. Everything you said was the same as many friends of ours who have vacationed O on cruise after cruise and love it more each time. They were looking for a country club casual upscale experience and Oceania has more than met everything they were looking for no matter what O ship they are on or where in the world it takes them. Superb food, atmosphere, and service. The wide choice of alternative dining experiences on a mid-size ship is most welcome. This is one area where HAL has really missed the boat, so to speak.

Thank you for the complete and detailed review.

Before hubby and i retired we could afford Oceania's prices and took two ta's on Oceania. It was a great experience.

We were on the older smaller ships and loved the small size that allowed us to get to know our fellow passengers.

Even though the cabins were smaller than those on HAL, we had the same impeccable service.

Even though passengers are limited in how many times they can make reservations for the specialty restaurants, we appreciated that there was no extra charge for them. And since the meals in the MDR were gourmet we didn't mind the limit to the number of specialty dining reservations. We felt the food was better on Oceania. Is it still gourmet dining?

We liked that no one had assigned dining. It was open seating for everyone on the ship and even though shared seating was encouraged, it was optional. (We usually did shared seating.)

For us, best of all there were no formal nights. I don't remember the dress code but everyone's attire was appropriate for the elegant dining room.

Even though we enjoy HAL, we wish we could afford Oceania on some of their itineraries.

I was so worried about the open dining and anyone who remembers me here on the HAL board will know how I fought it. But I recognize that once cruise lines go beyond a single dining venue, open dining becomes a necessity. We attempted to stay with traditional dining on HAL and Celebrity once they introduced specialty restaurants. It didn't work. We love sitting with other cruisers, but so often we would get assigned a table with people who chose traditional, but ended up eating somewhere else the entire trip.

I always felt passengers should be able to "opt out" entirely from the main dining room leaving it entirely for those who enjoy it. On Oceania you enter the dining room and if you say you'd like to "share" you know you'll join others who want the same. And those who want a table for two only can have that. It's perfect.

In the speciality dining rooms (all included in the cost of the cruise as are all non-alcoholic beverages) you reserve you table either as a "share" or not. It works magnificently.

I was so worried about the open dining and anyone who remembers me here on the HAL board will know how I fought it. But I recognize that once cruise lines go beyond a single dining venue, open dining becomes a necessity. We attempted to stay with traditional dining on HAL and Celebrity once they introduced specialty restaurants. It didn't work. We love sitting with other cruisers, but so often we would get assigned a table with people who chose traditional, but ended up eating somewhere else the entire trip.

I always felt passengers should be able to "opt out" entirely from the main dining room leaving it entirely for those who enjoy it. On Oceania you enter the dining room and if you say you'd like to "share" you know you'll join others who want the same. And those who want a table for two only can have that. It's perfect.

In the speciality dining rooms (all included in the cost of the cruise as are all non-alcoholic beverages) you reserve you table either as a "share" or not. It works magnificently.

Loved your review, Heather, and so glad you and Ray had a great time...I'll bet Sophie is glad to have you home...I hate leaving our Jessie on Thursday.

Heather - great review and you certainly do present an inviting picture of Oceania cruising. The only downside being, I guess, the cost. One other thing, since there is no formal nights (and we are still among the few who enjoy dressing), how dressy were the women in the evenings?

I haven't been on the HAL board for a couple of years, but some of my old friends here were interested in my thoughts about my recent Oceania Riviera cruise so I'm providing a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36754703#post36754703

As many know, I was a huge HAL fan, but things change and we have to open our world to new possibilities. I know some of my old friends have upcoming cruises on Oceania. I'm looking forward to your comparisons.

Short and sweet, Oceania won us over. When DH comes home without one single complaint, I know we've found a new home:).

When I've uploaded the photos, the link will be in my signature. Happy Cruising!

Heather welcome back to the HAL CCB! I always appreciated reading your thoughtful & informative posts! I hope that you are back here to stay! And I see that you have a new avatar! :)

Looking forward to reading your review! We're looking for something different after our last cruise on HAL, and are also moving over to Oceania. For us, for what we spend on an SA on HAL, we'll be able to book a concierge level cabin on Oceania (which is fine with us). It won't be as large as an SA, but we're okay with that. We are so disappointed with direction HAL is going these days and really was under-whelmed with our Zuiderdam cruise. Between the cut-backs and maintenance issues ... I guess enough said on my part. We do love the idea of no formal nights on Oceania.

Glad you had a nice cruise!

Heather - great review and you certainly do present an inviting picture of Oceania cruising. The only downside being, I guess, the cost. One other thing, since there is no formal nights (and we are still among the few who enjoy dressing), how dressy were the women in the evenings?

Yes, I know the cost is far greater so it's a big jump. We're very lucky we can do it at all, but we were very cautious in our spending through our working years and are very fortunate to be able to enjoy this now.

I loved the dress code. On the night of the Captain's Cocktail Reception some of the women dressed a bit more; some other nights as well, but I never saw what I would call "formal". But almost everyone dressed very nicely every night. They call it "country club casual" which for us was a very happy medium.

Heather welcome back to the HAL CCB! I always appreciated reading your thoughtful & informative posts! I hope that you are back here to stay! And I see that you have a new avatar! :)

You're very kind, but no :). My HAL days are over so I really don't have anything to offer here. But I wanted to share my review because I think comparisons are good. Also, I know of several people who have favored HAL for years, but have either already booked Oceania or are thinking about it.

I saw the Maasdam in St. Lucia and took many pictures. And I recalled my wonderful cruise on here back in the early 2000's. But HAL has just changed so much since then.

I think Molly was my avatar for most of the time in the past. Unfortunately we lost her this year and it was heartbreaking. Lost her and my Mom within 2 weeks ... pretty rough. But in July she sent us little Sophie to fill our hearts. Decided to show my smiling face at least for now :).

I loved the dress code. On the night of the Captain's Cocktail Reception some of the women dressed a bit more; some other nights as well, but I never saw what I would call "formal". But almost everyone dressed very nicely every night. They call it "country club casual" which for us was a very happy medium.

Heather, are jeans allowed in the dining room and alternative restaurants? If so, did you see any or if not allowed, was there griping about it? Where we live and in clubs that we frequent "country club casual" means absolutely NO JEANS in the evening in the dining areas. Even members will be asked to leave and go home and change though I think in 16 years I have only seen one person walk in with jeans. Wasn't sure about Oceania.

Peaches, they say jeans are not allowed in the dining room, but they also say you absolutely cannot wear sandals either. Since that is all I have, I wore them every night and no one so much as hesitated to seat us.

I also wore white denim pants which I defy anyone to call "jeans", but I'm sure someone would ;). But I was dressed very nicely so I don't think anyone would know they were "denim". Our Butler told DH the first day that he should not wear his shirt "out" in dining room. Since so many Tommy Bahama type shirts are designed to be worn "out", I was sure he was wrong and he was.

I read another passenger commenting on this cruise and he was disappointed to see shorts and t-shirts in the evening hours on the ship. He's way more observant than I am because I didn't see it ... at least not in the dining rooms. But you are allowed to way "nice" shorts at night in the Terrace restaurant so I'm sure some took that one step too far.

There's always someone ;). But overall I felt people were dressed very well.

Heather - how kind of you to come here and give us the link to your review. Sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful time:)

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us and welcome home:)

Archived