major vessel deployment changes

yyjguy

There were plenty of "rumours" from officers on 2 recent cruises regarding changes in vessel deployments over the next 3 years. 2 Grand class (Ruby and Crown are the suspected ones) vessels taking over Canal itineraries presently done by Coral and Island once the new locks open. Coral and Island taking over the globe trotting trips now done by Ocean and Pacific. Ocean, Pacific and Adonia (ex Royal) are being sold off (of owned) or returned to leassor. These came from several officers at the "most travelled" gatherings on 2 different ships so there could be some credibility to the reports! Anyone know for sure?

We will certainly miss the little girls. About half of out 400+ days with Princess were on the Ocean P.

We know the Pacific has canceled the World Cruise for next year. Will just do first segment to Sydney. After that Tahitian cruises ending in Vancouver about May 1, 2014. 14 day Alaska after that????

For the Crown, cruise from Feb 15, 2014 canceled. Instead will do 49 day FLL to LA around Cape Horn. Basicly what the Grand is about to do. No word beyond that.

New canal opening has been delayed six months until June 2015. Doubtful any cruise line will schedule a post-Panamax ship thru the canal until they know for sure that it will be open. It will really screw up their schedules if they can't go thru the new locks.

The R ships are getting old and tired.

Pacific and Ocean were launched in late 1999 - 13 years is not old for a cruise ship, which is built to last 30 years. They are not as old as Grand, Sun, and Dawn Princesses. EM

This ties in with rumors I have been hearing for quite a while, that said as noted it is not likely that major moves will be made until trips through the new locks can be actually scheduled and locked in.

It does seem that many of the moves heading into 2014 are designed to keep things flexible and it would not surprise me to see at least one of the smaller ships sold off or transferred after the Royal comes on line.

Note that everything you hear is a rumor. Deals involving ship transfers are closely held secrets until announced as they are considered to be heavily material financial info and thus subject to insider trading rules.

I love the R ships. They are only old and tired if they are not maintained. Azamara and Oceania have done very well with them. The problem is that, as small ships, they are not big revenue generators such as the oversized behemoths that sail the seas where profits come before passenger comfort.

If (or when) this happens, the saddest part for me would be if the unique and desirable itineraries of the little girls also went bye-bye. Not that I've been able to afford them, time- or money-wise yet, but I'm longing to do the Black Sea, Singapore-to-Rome and the West Coast of Africa. And that's just for starters!

Princess has distinguished herself among the mass market lines with her fantastic itineraries; I hope that doesn't change. But the pessimist in me doesn't like the odds, simply based on the -to me- unfavourable changes to the Caribbean itineraries to date.

Pacific and Ocean were launched in late 1999 - 13 years is not old for a cruise ship, which is built to last 30 years. They are not as old as Grand, Sun, and Dawn Princesses. EM

They are old and tired for Princess, who does not keep ships anywhere close to 30 years. :eek:

And you see where the Sun and Dawn are now right?

They are old and tired for Princess, who does not keep ships anywhere close to 30 years. :eek:

And you see where the Sun and Dawn are now right?

Have you been on either of them recently, or are you just making a sweeping generalization? Because I have not seen a barrage of posts from passengers complaining about either ship being "old" or "tired" (whatever you think you mean by those adjectives).

And the second part of your post implies that if a ship is based in Australia, it must by definition be old and tired, which, besides being nonsensical, will, I'm sure, endear you to the many Aussies who post on these boards.

What do you mean by your last comment??:confused:

We do get the older Princess ships downunder, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess are all discards from the American Princess Fleet. As is Pacific Dawn - ex Regal Princess.

Most of us know the newer Princess ships are kept for the American market.'

I have travelled on 90% of the Princess ships, both American and Australian. I prefer the American Princess ships, newer, better crews, better food and entertainment.

Hi All

Smaller ships need to charge more per cabin night than a mega ship,

as they get older maintenance costs rise and they can not recover costs,

then there is the need to burn clean fuel,

some ships these days carry two types so then can cruise in places with tougher enviro laws. waste water treatment etc

There comes a point where the bean counters will look at them

and say $20 million refurb on ship A gets us back many more than spend

while ship B breaks even, you all know what happens to ship A it gets sold

or moved to Aus.

I am sure many would love to see QE2 sailing but it will never happen

yours Shogun

At the last shareholders annual meeting, the CEO indicated that the line is still not making money, and that more efficient vessels might be necessary. Oceana has leased out one of their R vessels, and are shopping the others around. I think these ships have a limited future with any company.

We do get the older Princess ships downunder, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess are all discards from the American Princess Fleet. As is Pacific Dawn - ex Regal Princess.

Most of us know the newer Princess ships are kept for the American market.'

I have travelled on 90% of the Princess ships, both American and Australian. I prefer the American Princess ships, newer, better crews, better food and entertainment.

My point exactly.

Not saying its right.

Have you been on either of them recently, or are you just making a sweeping generalization? Because I have not seen a barrage of posts from passengers complaining about either ship being "old" or "tired" (whatever you think you mean by those adjectives).

Have sailed them enough to know, and don't have to make a sweeping generalization.

And there have been comments using old/tired including myself.

And the second part of your post implies that if a ship is based in Australia, it must by definition be old and tired, which, besides being nonsensical, will, I'm sure, endear you to the many Aussies who post on these boards.

Which is where I base my comments from.

Its is a fact as stated above that older ships are based in Australia .

See above...

At the last shareholders annual meeting, the CEO indicated that the line is still not making money, and that more efficient vessels might be necessary. Oceana has leased out one of their R vessels, and are shopping the others around. I think these ships have a limited future with any company.

Oceania is getting Insignia back from Hapag Lloyd in 2014 supposedly.

Things can always change though.

I don't particularly care for the R ships - I think they all could have done with an interior upgrade and they really don't sail that well. That being said, it would be nice to have Regal Princess back and call her a "small" ship. :)I do like the small ship experience and it would be unfortunate if Princess stopped offering it. R ships aren't the only answer.

We do get the older Princess ships downunder, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess are all discards from the American Princess Fleet.
Can we have them back please? I loved cruising on the Sun class ships, and also on the Pacific Princess II (Tahiti - Hawaii). I have always liked the fact that Princess uses smaller ships to open up new ports and other parts of the world. I hope Princess continues to do this.
I don't particularly care for the R ships - I think they all could have done with an interior upgrade and they really don't sail that well. That being said, it would be nice to have Regal Princess back and call her a "small" ship. :)I do like the small ship experience and it would be unfortunate if Princess stopped offering it. R ships aren't the only answer.

I don't think you would want the Regal Princess back now. It is called the Pacific Dawn down here and when P&O Australia took over it, they added another 500 beds so it now holds just on 2000 people.

We cruised on her to Antarctica in 2006 and loved every minute of that trip. We also love the small ships and have been on them at least 7 times including on Oceania and Azamara.

There is no way I would cruise on the Sun, Sea or Dawn down here. The experience is far different from when they are based out of the U.S. Just my opinion, but they do send the older ships down here, probably thinking that we don't know if they are good or bad.

Celebrity have their lovely Solstice here at the moment and that should give Princess a run for their money. We will be on her in March and are looking forward to comparing Celebrity to Princess.

If Princess gets rid of her two smaller ships, we will move to Oceania full time.

Jennie

I loved the Dawn; I thought it was the perfect size. My ideal Princess fleet would be composed of the (original!) little girls, the Dawn/Sea/Sun, the Coral and Island, and maybe a couple of the big girls (the Sapphire and the Crown). With all new ships being the somewhere between the Sun-class and Coral-class in size.

What a nice daydream this is . . . .

Archived