1st European Cruise - advice please

MsB1254

We have book a Greek Isle cruise on the Silhouette in September of 2013. The cruise leaves from Rome and returns to Venice. Is this a good start for a first cruise to Europe or would a different route be a better choice. Also, does anyone know what airline might offer the best flights for these one way flights? Any and all help would be appreciated. I have always cruised in the Caribbean before. The long flight times from Washington, DC has me more than a little nervous.

We have book a Greek Isle cruise on the Silhouette in September of 2013. The cruise leaves from Rome and returns to Venice. Is this a good start for a first cruise to Europe or would a different route be a better choice. Also, does anyone know what airline might offer the best flights for these one way flights? Any and all help would be appreciated. I have always cruised in the Caribbean before. The long flight times from Washington, DC has me more than a little nervous.

YES!! This can be a great way to explore and enjoy Europe and the Med. Don't know whether you are on the Sept. 3 or 26 cruise. On the first option, your ports are: departing from Rome, Naples, Valletta/Malta; Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Ephesus/Turkey, Rhodes/Greece, Crete/Greece and then to finish in Venice. We have visited lots of these super great locations. Below are some notes, links, pictures, etc., to help you prepare and get ready. From my live/blog on a Celebrity sister ship, you can see added ideas for Rome, Venice, the Amalfi Coast, etc.

From DC's Dulles, you should have plenty of air options that get from there to Rome (hopefully arriving several days ahead in order to explore and enjoy this dramatic and beautiful city with some much unique history and architecture). Going back from Venice might involve a connection through another, large airport, but overall, it should not be that bad (except in the wallet as prices are not cheap these days).

Tell us more about your party size/make-up, budget, ages, personal and travel interests, etc. How much are you interested in history? Countrysides vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, culture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 17,060 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens. This posting has had over 6,500 views. Appreciate those who have dropped by, made comments, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Other questions, needs?? Keep these good questions rolling along!! Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,253 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we sailed into Venice, here is a tighter shot of the main square and the crowds that were there around 1 pm on June 14. Love Venice so, so much! Don’t miss this great sail-in and/or sail-out from the top deck of the ship!:

VeniceSailInTigherSMSquare.jpg

Overlooking Positano along the Amalfi Coast, this is the view as we dined, family-style for lunch, at La Tagliata during our private tour for our small group through RomeInLimo. The views here were super and the sun came out in strong force as we enjoyed our three-course lunch with local wine and drinks. Their website is http://www.latagliata.com.:

PositanoDiningViewTrees.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow, flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This harbor view in Mykonos shows one of the charming windmills. From as early as the 16th century, these are one of the most recognized landmarks of Mykonos. The island is 33 square miles in size and has a population of 9,300, mostly in its main village.:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus, along the Turkish Coast, was Rome's capital of Asia Minor. The history here is real and totally amazing! This Library of Celsus was built in honor of a Roman Senator and completed in 135 AD by his son, a Roman Consul and powerful official. The library was built to store 12,000 scrolls and to serve as a tomb for his father. The interior of the library and all its books were destroyed by fire in an earthquake in 262 AD. Only the facade survived, but was later destroyed by another earthquake. In a restoration during the 1960's and 1970's, the front was restored and serves as a key example of Roman public architecture.:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

At Ephesus along the Turkish Coast, here is the famed outdoor theater that hosted Saint Paul preaching, plus rock stars, etc. At this site in the 1st century AD, the Apostle Paul spent over three years in Ephesus preaching the Gospel. This included a sermon condemning pagan worship in this theater:

Amphitheatre.jpg

I'll comment on flights ... as with flying anywhere, direct flights are best because you lessen the chances of being delayed. We typically fly Delta - because DH is Gold with them and also because we're in Atlanta and there are plenty of non-stop flights from here. We have had good luck with this airline, although as soon as I say this I know there will be dozens who will have other experiences.

We prefer to book either business class (very $$$) or economy comfort because there's more leg room. If there are two of you traveling, try to sit so you're only bothering each other when you get up and down (i.e., get two seats together - not in the middle of a row of 3 or 4). Plan to get up and move and stretch your legs every hour. This is important! I also wear compression hose & that has helped to prevent cramps and keep my legs feeling energised.

If I was booking a flight over to take a cruise I'd definitely book a couple of days in advance - a) to get over jet lag, b) to be sure to get to the ship on time, and c) to allow a bit of time to at least see the port city.

We have had good luck with Choice Air. ( we have done 2 TAs using them and just booked with them for our upcoming TA this Nov/dec). They say they will take care of you and as an example while we were in the middle of our b2b last spring the airline changed their schedule and the ship's conceirge notified us and sent us the new itinerary.

If it's on Sept. 3, we are doing the same cruise, but there is also a pre cruise pre Venice, Florence and Rome that can be part of the package. We arrive in Venice on the 29th.

We have our flights booked with Delta with one stop...that's the best I can do since we fly out of Chicago. A & B seats on departure and F & G seats on return. :D

If you are starting out of Rome- I highly recommend doing at least two nights pre-cruise so that you have time to see the sights there.

If I was booking a flight over to take a cruise I'd definitely book a couple of days in advance - a) to get over jet lag, b) to be sure to get to the ship on time, and c) to allow a bit of time to at least see the port city.
Excellent advice. It's not just seeing the sights in Rome, it's giving up 1 day for jet-lag.

My other advice is to use your roll call to arrange private tours. It is not about the money although you will probably save some doing it on your own,

It's about designing a tour that meets your needs and desires. It's about being in a small group which can enter a site quickly, enjoy and then leave as you desire. Ship tours are usually on a big bus with much time spent waiting and waiting for everyone to gather.

If you are 4 or more in your group then perhaps you can do it on your own without others.

BTW, the same advice for transport to and from the ship. We took the train to the ship in Rome to the actual port in Civitavecchia.(When they say the cruise is from Rome, it is actually from Civitavecchia an hour outside the city).

We also arranged a private shuttle from the port to the plane. Faster, cheaper better. Again use your roll call members to arrange this. We paid less then 1/2 what RC wanted to have a private shuttle for 8 to the airport.

Another piece of advice is not to book a tour for every single stop. We had the best day exploring Rhodes on our own, enjoying the beach and the food and the beer.:)

Last piece of advice - Have a blast!

Thank you! My dh and I are doing our research for our b2b Eastern Mediterranean and TA on the Constellation for next Nov-Dec. Your photos are beautiful!

You're getting a nice range of excellent suggestions and many good ideas. Appreciate your kind viewpoint on my pictures. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

Below are a few more "eye candy" samples to get people excited about these wonderful potentials in the Med. Lots of great potentials there!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,253 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

At Ephesus, architectural details on its famed library building:

LibraryDetails.jpg

On the opposite side of the Mykonos village on the island, here's a sampling of the beachside activities. This includes Agrari, Elia and the long sweeping Kalafatis beach that has become famous to wind surfers. The second picture is from Elia Beach.:

1A-Myk-Beach1.jpg

1A-Myk-Beach2.jpg

This is the dramatic front view of St. Peters and the Square with the beautiful sky over this historic setting in Rome.:

RomeStPetersFrontView.jpg

This is a Venice parish church called Chiesa di San Moise on Campo San Moisè. It has an elaborate Baroque facade that is covered in designs that one travel book describes as having “scrumptious icing flourishes of carved-stone ornament”. This 1660’s facade is on a church site dating back to the 9th century and that honors Moses. At the right is the modern front of the five-star Bauer Hotel that is connected with an older palazzo fronting the Grand Canal. Lots and lots of great churches in Venice. It’s much more than just St. Mark’s to see and experience.:

VeniceChurchNearBauerHotel.jpg

In front of the Accademia Art Museum in Venice, here is an artist on that wooden bridge over the Grand Canal making a painting. Lots of such great views can be experienced all over this historic city.:

VenicePainterOnGrandCanal.jpg

Thanks for all the input. I am also considering a cruise from Barcelona round trip. Does anyone know if the flights to Barcelona from Washington, DC and significantly shorter than they would be from DC to Rome, Italy. As far as I can tell, the flight times look very similar. Thanks again

Definitely plan to arrive at least 2 days - if not 3 days - pre cruise in Rome. Such a beautiful place and so much to see, you wont get to half of it, but it will still whet your appetite.

Barcelona is also another good place to cruise from, and I'd recommend doing pre/post there as well. My 1st love is Rome, though.

You are getting some great advice - haven't heard any I would disagree with. We travel internationally quite a bit for my work (wife always goes with me :)). From the east coast to Europe is a piece of cake. You will do fine.

The rule of thumb is it takes one day for each our of time change to get completely used to the jet lag. One place we go is Thailand and it is 12 hour time change from east coast so it takes a while. For many years we didn't try and use drugs of any kind. Now that we have gotten a little older, we use melatonin to help sleep the first few nights. Melatonin is naturally in your body - when you take a tablet you are simply increasing the level in your body and it helps you not only fall alsleep at a strange time but also helps you sleep longer. Take some with you - they are over the counter here but you can't get them everywhere. We were in Dubai this past summer and they weren't available.

Also would agree with the person who said take twice as much money and half as many clothes. My wife likes to dress for dinner - and she looks great when she does :) - so that adds a little to our luggage but its worth it. I usually travel in a suit (or a sports coat and slacks) and then that is what I wear to formal nights.

I think you will have lots of options for flights from Dulles. We live in Richmond and often drive up to Dulles to fly internationally. Don't know where you are located but if we spend the night either before or after, we can leave our car at the Dulles Hilton. Saves a huge chunk on parking and it's a pretty nice place. They have shuttle service to/from Dulles.

We are also gold on Delta so we try to look there. We have an upcoming flight to Barcelona (12 day Equinox cruise) and are flying from Richmond to JFK and then a non-stop to Barcelona. We are also gold on American since we often end up on them to South America or Asia. As someone else recommended if there are 2 seats on the side take them. Sometimes there are 3 seats on the side and we book an aisle and a window with the middle seat between us empty. Those tend to be the last seats taken and occasionally you will get lucky and that will be one of the few empty seats on a flight. If someone shows up then one of you takes the middle seat and gives the person who was in the middle the aisle or the window - they will love you for it.

Have a great trip - you will love it.

Archived