You reach into your suitcase and realize....

jenn-

Two things (neither really on a cruise):

Nail clippers. When we started taking longer trips, we'd not have them but need them and have to go out and buy. I can't even begin to tell you how many of those things are stashed all over the house, in every suitcase, etc.. This reflects our OCD tendencies: too long nails or rough edges make us CRAZY!

And speaking of crazy, there was the trip with my sisters, when I drove into a deer, destroyed the car, and had to spend several days in who-knows-where waiting for the car to be towed and us to be moved to where we could get 1. the car fixed and 2. a replacement rental. But I'd only packed enough antidepressants for the planned length of the trip. Now, this particular antidepressant doesn't work instantly, so going without doesn't turn you into a sad lunatic in a day, but...just knowing that I was going without.....and the stresses (and expenses) of having to change plane reservations twice....I was a wreck. I've since always packed EXTRAS of all medications.

At least I learned the lessons, I guess!

I forgot my favorite black dress pants but had packed a number of tops I planned to wear with them. :(

Thankfully, I did as I always do and wore nice black pants to travel in. I would have rather had the use of the other pair but managed fine with the pair I had worn on the airplane. We have included dry cleaning/laundry in our cabin category so I sent them out very early in the morning for cleaning on what was a formal night. Seeing I was wearing a dress that night, it was plenty of time to get them back from the laundry in time to wear to dinner the next night. :)

I ALWAYS travel in good black pants. :)

Forgot to pack the charger for the camcorder once. Also forgot to pack cuff links and studs for my tux one time. Luckily, we had flown into Vancouver a day early and had time to go shopping for a new set. But, it was a challenge finding some though. And, as any Canadian reading this post probably already knows, we found them at The Bay! I still wear them, as the are a very nice set.

You reach into your suitcase and realize....in Venice.....

......everything in it is soaking wet.

It was then that we realized that all that luggage we saw in New York JFK in the open bin .....sitting in the rain ....was our luggage.

On a cruise the worst we've ever neglected to pack is the pocket squares for my tuxedo. Closer to home we've forgotten to bring bedsheets for a trip to a friend's shore house, and once I forgot to put my wife's suitcase in the car (same destination, different trip).

Forgot TOOTHPASTE! We thought that would be no problem as we've seen the small sample packets on previous cruises and thought it would hold us over until we got out to sea to buy some in the gift shop or at our first port. We looked in the giveaway basket in the bathroom - but nothing. We waited until we were in international waters and the gift shop opened but they were out too - didn't have any for sale. After about 30 minutes at guest services begging for their help to find toothpaste - a crew member came up with an unopened tube he bought in the gift shop and said he had enough to last him until we were in port. We tipped him $20 for that small tube but it was well worth it!

Recently read a cruise review where the woman said her husband neglected to pack dress shoes to wear with his formal-night clothes. He had to rent a pair on board. Who packs dress clothes without considering what they will wear on their feet??

....uh.....men?

Well, I have had a couple lately. This summer we did an Alaska cruise and I forgot my sonicare toothbrush. Thankfully my dh had a spare manual one in his bag. Our recent holiday cruise I had planned to pack 2 pairs of capris for a 10 day cruise plus several days in Orlando and found I forgot my khaki pair. I was pretty bummed since it left me with a red pair and a black pair. I know it isn't catastrophic, but I had new shirts that I had planned to wear with them and not much for the red pair. I muddled through though.;)

A few cruises ago, I forgot to pack tshirts for my son. He had about 4 packed so we hit the ports in Mexico for a few new shirts. Funnily enough, my hubby had the same issue and he came home with a bunch of new shirts too.

My son actually said to me the other day that he looked in his drawer and realized all his shirts had graphics from cruise ports or vacations we had taken. He didn't have any plain shirts. :D

It was then that we realized that all that luggage we saw in New York JFK in the open bin .....sitting in the rain ....was our luggage.

Ugh! That would have made me so mad. Did the airline do anything for you?

Ooooh, that's awful. I would have been crazy insane.

I've taken to lining the bottom and sides of our suitcases with dry cleaner bags before I pack and placing bags over the top of our things when I finish packing. I tuck it down the sides. My hope is it might help keep things dry if our suitcases are left in the rain like you describe at an airport or on the dock.

Were you able to get things dried out/washed/cleaned and useable?

Not on a cruise, but we visited our DS & family in San Antonio last month. I wore my glasses the first two days, put in a new pair of contact lenses the third day and then realized I had forgotten fluid. And it was 7 PM on Christmas, just as we were leaving for the movies.

Couldn't find a 24 hour CVS or Walgreens nearby. We stopped in to a couple of gas station stores. The first one didn't have any--but a customer offered to drive home and get some for us, 30 minutes in each direction. We thanked him profusely but declined. I had just about decided to ditch the lenses, which were worth around $16. The second store had exactly one bottle. A problem you can solve in 30 minutes for $4 isn't a problem at all.

Trip to Disney with my daughter and her dance team, I forgot my phone charger and had to borrow one from another mom. Not too terrible . . .

The rule for the dance team, btw, as well as for my other daughter's cheerleading team: pack your uniform and accessories, and anything else you need for the competition, in your carry on bag. Nothing irreplaceable in the checked luggage.

Smart idea.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

1st caribbean cruise - all my shorts were sitting in a pile on my ironing board at home... You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find shorts in FL in December!

2nd cruise - iPhone charger/car charger/cables... When you're depending on your TomTom GPS app for your rental car and you've listened to music the whole flight leaving the iPhone DEAD..... Had to buy a car charger out of one of those Best Buy vending machines in the airport

3rd Caribbean cruise - my Ray Bans sat on my kitchen counter for the week in a spot I wouldn't miss them... When you head to the airport for 0500 in the pitch dark unfortunately easy to forget :(. Good excuse for buying a new pair though ;)

I've become much better and haven't forgot anything since 2010 :)

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Ugh! That would have made me so mad. Did the airline do anything for you?

Ooooh, that's awful. I would have been crazy insane.

I've taken to lining the bottom and sides of our suitcases with dry cleaner bags before I pack and placing bags over the top of our things when I finish packing. I tuck it down the sides. My hope is it might help keep things dry if our suitcases are left in the rain like you describe at an airport or on the dock.

Were you able to get things dried out/washed/cleaned and useable?

There were 13 of us in a group and all of our luggage arrived soaked the next day. It didn't make our flight. The luggage was delivered the next day and we didn't discover it until we were on the ship.

Princess took all of our soaked luggage laundered it and a few hours later had it hanging in our closets. And it wasn't even their fault.

That's where I thought this thread was going as well! Mine was seeing that my shampoo or sunscreen, even though it was in a plastic zipper bag had leaked everywhere! Now, I buy the sunscreen in Florida after we fly into port!

I would have been so mad about my clothes being soaking wet!!!

In 1978, when my parents drove from their home in Texas to mine (in Louisiana--over 200 miles,) they arrived WITHOUT a dress bag, which contained my father's suits and Mom's dresses.

We were flying out, that afternoon, to Miami, and then on to a 21-day tour of South America.

We did have time to find one suit for Dad, and a couple of <ugly> dresses for Mom.

After that, we put steps in place to ENSURE that all bags made it into the car before a trip; and have never left such a large item at home since. And our practice of checking off items AS THEY ARE PACKED helps to ensure that the small stuff comes along as well. My lists are more like a spreadsheet....

I think the worst one that I can remember is no socks for the toddler. I don't know how that happened, but there wasn't one single pair of his socks! (This wasn't a cruise, I think it was either WDW or Washington DC.) We usually make one trip to a Wal-mart or Target on every single family vacation! Not because we forgot, but because one kid needs Swimmer's Ear stuff, or our sunscreen ran out early.

There were 13 of us in a group and all of our luggage arrived soaked the next day. It didn't make our flight. The luggage was delivered the next day and we didn't discover it until we were on the ship.

Princess took all of our soaked luggage laundered it and a few hours later had it hanging in our closets. And it wasn't even their fault.

Now that is great customer service.

Last July, we spent 6 days in London before our 24 night Med cruise on HAL. DD14 had just had her 8th grade graduation a couple of weeks before. We had bought her a very nice and rather expensive prom dress which could do double duty for formal nights. I had purchased a gown to match and spent the day we were flying out, running around town buying suits for my sons so that we all could have nice pictures taken on board. When we were unpacking in our cabin after sailing, dd realized she had left the dress in the closet in London. :o I had told her not to unpack it! I couldn't find a contact for the hotel on the internet or a phone number that would work from my North American phone from Italy to England. I finally was able to contact the hotel once we got back home. The dress hasn't been seen since. :cool:

FYI--should you ever need to make a call like this again, go to any newsstand and purchase a five euro phone card. It will give you a couple hundred minutes of calling from any pay of hotel room phone via an 800 number and a pin code. When we first arrived in Rome I was unable to use my phone as Verizon hadn't turned on the International calling (even though they said they did) and had to call them from Rome. The phone card worked like a charm. I used it to call home from a pay phone in Kotor as well.

Who packs dress clothes without considering what they will wear on their feet??

That would be me - I just wear clean sneakers that are all black. My feet don't touch the ground in my wheelchair. Nobody seems to care about clothes I wear or don't wear, atleast they don't comment about it to my face anyway.

I haven't forgotten anything that can't be replaced by a quick stop at a drugstore before boarding the ship - good reason to fly in the day before.

Which reminds me I still gotta find my mankini and speedo - cruise next weekend.

Archived