Cruise Critic Community
aimathy

Review of Sapphire Beach

Having just returned on the cruise before Seabas's on the Gem (3/4/13) and having opted to go to Emerald Beach and after looking at the pics of Sapphire I feel pretty confident he ended up at Emerald.

It wasn't bad, we just didn't feel like going to far so opted for Emerald.

Yes that's what it sounded like, and your description is perfect - Lindbergh (Emerald) is not bad. Just not as nice as the East End beaches that are a bit furthr away.

Definitely doable, no problem. We would leave Sapphire by 2 just to be safe, and you'll probably be back by 2:45 or so. If you want to stop at Paradise Point before reboarding leave by 1 or 1:30...

Enjoy!

Okay, thank you. That won't give us any time to go to the shops (by the ship) tho....does anyone know what time they open? We could go early in the morning, then go to the beach.

I just read another post stating that you can leave the pier and go to the left and walk to the Kmart and get an open air taxi for about $2/pp to Sapphire Beach. Does anyone have any experience with this

There are numerous threads on that subject, bottom line? You can use the cheaper "bus" option but keep in mind you will almost certainly waste time waiting for it and then walking to where you're going. This circumvents the east end and isn't as regular as any bus system you're familiar with. Every time we stay at the Sapphire Resort we see people sweating their buns off walking up the hill and then standing in the hot sun until then give up and walk back to the resort and get in a $9 taxi.

Just not worth it unless your timing is great and you're not concerned about spending more time traveling than you need to on a short day in port. The experts on TA will also advise against that option but there are always proponents of it too.

Just returned from our cruise and we had a wonderful day at Sapphire. It was a bit windy so the water was more wavy than usual (according to the residents), but we could still snorkel. We loved that the beach has close-to-shore snorkeling (good for us non-swimmers), plenty of grape trees for shade, easy rental access to snorkeling equipment, chairs, etc., and available food and drink. A few observations I have:

1. We paid $10 per person each way from Havensight for taxis, so not sure if the fare is now higher than what Blue_water posted, or I got ripped off by $1 pp.

2. For those of you concerned about whether your taxi is taking you to Sapphire, one sure way to monitor where you are and where you're going is to use your smartphone and Google Maps! At least with AT&T and I believe other GSM-based mobile services, you are still in the U.S., so there are no international roaming or other charges to use your existing phone and data plans.

3. The food service was very slow for us, but it's understandable considering the wait staff have a LONG hike back and forth to the restaurants between and beyond the condos so please allow plenty of time for food and drink orders.

Edited by Terpnut

Just returned from our cruise and we had a wonderful day at Sapphire. It was a bit windy so the water was more wavy than usual (according to the residents), but we could still snorkel. We loved that the beach has close-to-shore snorkeling (good for us non-swimmers), plenty of grape trees for shade, easy rental access to snorkeling equipment, chairs, etc., and available food and drink. A few observations I have:

1. We paid $10 per person each way from Havensight for taxis, so not sure if the fare is now higher than what Blue_water posted, or I got ripped off by $1 pp.

2. For those of you concerned about whether your taxi is taking you to Sapphire, one sure way to monitor where you are and where you're going is to use your smartphone and Google Maps! At least with AT&T and I believe other GSM-based mobile services, you are still in the U.S., so there are no international roaming or other charges to use your existing phone and data plans.

3. The food service was very slow for us, but it's understandable considering the wait staff have a LONG hike back and forth to the restaurants between and beyond the condos so please allow plenty of time for food and drink orders.

Terpnut, for the snorkeling rentals, do you know how much they are? Do they have life jackets, and if so, how much?

Would you say the snorkeling is safe enough/close enough to shore for beginner swimmers?

Thanks!

Terpnut, for the snorkeling rentals, do you know how much they are? Do they have life jackets, and if so, how much?

Would you say the snorkeling is safe enough/close enough to shore for beginner swimmers?

Thanks!

One of the main reasons we chose Sapphire Beach for this visit was because of the close-to-shore reefs and safer snorkeling environment. While the fish will not be as varied or plentiful as most deep water snorkeling we have done in the past, my son is a beginner swimmer and I can't swim at all, so snorkeling at Sapphire is a low-stress and fun way to enjoy the day. AND no vests are needed because you can simply stand up in the shallow water when needed. Of course, please do not touch or stand on the reefs themselves, or the lifeguard/patrols WILL whistle you off!

I can't help with the rental costs because we brought our own masks and tubes, and as previously mentioned, you don't really need the vests unless you want to venture further out. I'm pretty sure they have everything available for rental so perhaps someone else can post prices. I do know that beach chairs are currently $7.00 each with no time limit.

Edited by Terpnut

One of the main reasons we chose Sapphire Beach for this visit was because of the close-to-shore reefs and safer snorkeling environment. While the fish will not be as varied or plentiful as most deep water snorkeling we have done in the past, my son is a beginner swimmer and I can't swim at all, so snorkeling at Sapphire is a low-stress and fun way to enjoy the day. AND no vests are needed because you can simply stand up in the shallow water when needed. Of course, please do not touch or stand on the reefs themselves, or the lifeguard/patrols WILL whistle you off!

I can't help with the rental costs because we brought our own masks and tubes, and as previously mentioned, you don't really need the vests unless you want to venture further out. I'm pretty sure they have everything available for rental so perhaps someone else can post prices. I do know that beach chairs are currently $7.00 each with no time limit.

Thank you for this info! Makes me feel more confident going snorkeling! :)

Yes you will find close to shore snorkeling to be pretty good. There is also a sea grass area to the left of the dive center where you may spot sea turtles and rays. Beautiful bay, we love staying at the resort there.

And yes, please do keep off the coral - we often see "common sense-challenged" people standing on it and that has a huge impact on the health of the reef. There is a sign posted but some people have to be reminded.

Have a great day!

Thank you for this info! Makes me feel more confident going snorkeling! :)
I hope you have great weather and wonderful time!

Thank you everyone! We're hoping for good weather too. Either way, we're on vacation, so it'll be great! Lol!

I am writing right now from my beach chair at Sapphire. There is free wi-fi here. Chairs were $7 each from the dive center. Cab ride was $10 one way. We found a nice shady spot when we arrived at 10:00 however most shady areas are taken now. There are iguanas in the trees that occasionally come down to the sand to walk around. Also some cute little ducks. My husband is snorkeling now-he says there are tons of fish. We brought dog treats which he says attract the fish like crazy. There are a lot people here although it doesn't feel too crowded. 2 ships in port today. So far has been very pleasant. The water is beautiful and not rough at all.

I am writing right now from my beach chair at Sapphire. There is free wi-fi here. Chairs were $7 each from the dive center. Cab ride was $10 one way. We found a nice shady spot when we arrived at 10:00 however most shady areas are taken now. There are iguanas in the trees that occasionally come down to the sand to walk around. Also some cute little ducks. My husband is snorkeling now-he says there are tons of fish. We brought dog treats which he says attract the fish like crazy. There are a lot people here although it doesn't feel too crowded. 2 ships in port today. So far has been very pleasant. The water is beautiful and not rough at all.

Erin, HOW COOL that you are there now and took the time to post! Rub it in, tho....it is pouring rain, windy, damp and chilly up here in NE NJ :(:( Is that $10 pp/each way or $10 for the 2 of you each way? How long did it take to get there? If you don't answer, I would completely understand; it is time for you to have your fun! :p ENJOY the rest of your day!

I'm totally jealous right now. :p

Erin, HOW COOL that you are there now and took the time to post! Rub it in, tho....it is pouring rain, windy, damp and chilly up here in NE NJ :(:( Is that $10 pp/each way or $10 for the 2 of you each way? How long did it take to get there? If you don't answer, I would completely understand; it is time for you to have your fun! :p ENJOY the rest of your day!

It's per person and each way. ;)

Don't forget to get a mahi mahi sandwich from the Banana Cabana beach grill between bldgs B and B - they're very good and worth the $12. Goes great with $4 rum punches from the dive center! :p

Also, take a walk out on Pretty Klip Point over by the swimming pool. That's a popular wedding and vow renewal spot.

$40 pre tip just for taxi? :eek::eek: Wow...seems like a lot of money...blue water, thanks for the info. Banana Cabana grill is between what buildings? :confused: Wondering if that's a typo...TIA.

Hello Erin,

Thanks for sharing. :) Do you happen to know how much it is to rent a life jacket?

Thank you in advance!

Enjoy your day.

It would be $80 for my family of four to travel to and from the beach. That seems like a lot of money for transportation and I am from NY so I am used to things being expensive. I would much rather spend the money on rum punch and food :D. That is why I am trying to figure out if there is a less expensive alternative. Someone mentioned paying $6/pp. Any thoughts or suggestions.

You'll read about a $2 "bus" but those who go to STT often or live there will recommend you use the taxis. Ypu can waste a lot of precious time and you still have to walk from and to the road at Sapphire. If $80 seems like a lot of money to you look at a car rental.

Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is closer but not nearly as nice.I personally don't feel that $20pp is too much for the distance you're traveling, but it all depends on your priorities. If this is a beach stop I would take a taxi to Sapphire.

It would be $80 for my family of four to travel to and from the beach. That seems like a lot of money for transportation and I am from NY so I am used to things being expensive. I would much rather spend the money on rum punch and food :D. That is why I am trying to figure out if there is a less expensive alternative. Someone mentioned paying $6/pp. Any thoughts or suggestions.

I kind of thought the same thing. It would only be 2 of us, but I thought, wow...$40 just to get there. I was going to see if CCL had any excursions that would include the beach. Just to make sure: is it free admission to the beach?