Service Gratuity ?

Big-Will

Unfortunately, it is not a requirement that one pay the gratuity, which is depended on as part of the income of the service workers on the ship, many of whom are behind the scenes and you would never have contact with, but the work they do does affect your cruise. I can understand lowering the gratuity for a specific area if you did receive really bad service (say the room steward). But to remove the gratuities altogether, Ive heard a lot of excuses, and it boils down to being a tightwad. I actually just add the gratuity on when I book the cruise and consider it a part of the cost of the cruise. I also tip extra in cash the last night for excellent service where deserved.

Carnival puts that on everyones account for our convenience. We no longer have to worry about how much to tip the crew for the service they provide, no messing with envelopes the last night. Tip/gratuity/service charge, whatever you want to call it, is an expected and traditional cost of cruising. Crew work hard to give me a carefree cruise experience. Many PAX even tip an additional amount to show our appreciation for exceptional service. Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for.

Like it or not this is the primary source of income for many of the ship personal. Rather than go into how hard they work and that nearly every cruise line (if not all) use this system and most pax prefer it I'll just say many folks (Including me) often give more. Answering your question: Yes you can have the tips removed but you will be questioned by guest services why and marked by the crew as a deadbeat.

Should be part of our cruise price. At least here in the US cruises.JMHO

Keeping it separate allows the lines to offer a lower base price. Also, I believe it may be beneficial for accounting purposes that that share of wages is paid by PAX and is not listed on the books as a corporate expense. That is one reason people complained about passing off the last $2 increase, a wage increase passed off as a tip increase.

I consider the auto-grats like a resort fee at a hotel. If I want to stay at that hotel I pay the resort fee.

Those hotel resort fees are for things we never use-spa, gyms, pools etc. At least on the ship I'm getting SOMETHING for my money.

(The worst thing I ever saw on a cruise ship was a buffet waiter, all by himself, rolling silverware. He had a huge ship's rolling laundry basket piled high with napkins and piles of forks and knives.)

I know some people would like to tip the person in person.

the auto tip takes care of your cabin steward, your waiter, your asst waiter and the people who make the Lido Buffet work.

I prefer to pre pay mine after final payment but before the cruise. Its one less thing I have to worry about.

We do not pay anything extra-- cash in hand unless the person went above and beyond the expectations

I also want to let you know that run of the mill cruise lines there is a gratutity guideline.

unless you have the gratuities removed by visiting the service desk they will be added to your s&s card and covered by however you choose to cover the card.

tipping is a personal matter and if you decide, for whatever reason, to remove the tips that is just between yourself and your conscience.

unless you have the gratuities removed by visiting the service desk they will be added to your s&s card and covered by however you choose to cover the card.

tipping is a personal matter and if you decide, for whatever reason, to remove the tips that is just between yourself and your conscience.

theyarenttipstheyarethecrew's pay

I believe you get what you pay for..lowering cruise fare is not exactly a good thing..PAY your employees aNd give us a GOOD CRUiSE!! Stop lowering the quality of cruises nowadays because you are lowering the price!!!! These Multi-Million dollar ships we sail on should be able to pay aNd take care of their EMPLOYEES & what we choose to tip on our own should be a bonus for these employees!!! I dont judge people on their opinions on gratuity..we all see things differently aNd have a right to our own opinion aNd should be in CONTROL OF WHERE OUR MONEY GOES!!!! I have personally heard from employees that they see VERY LITTLE of this GRATUiTY JACKPOT THAT IS COLLECTED from the CRUiSE LiNE!!!!!! NOW WHO'S THE CHEAPWAD????????????

theyarenttipstheyarethecrew's pay

Not True!!! They might add the tips to there salary but its still a tip no matter how you look at it! My husband always has a problem with the tips and takes them off of our S n S account. I then have to go sneak around and pay all of them cash. lol it probably works better for the staff as I tip more then the suggested tips! My husband has always been like this so i leave a lot of cash tips after he leaves the table !!:D

I believe you get what you pay for..lowering cruise fare is not exactly a good thing..PAY your employees aNd give us a GOOD CRUiSE!! Stop lowering the quality of cruises nowadays because you are lowering the price!!!! These Multi-Million dollar ships we sail on should be able to pay aNd take care of their EMPLOYEES & what we choose to tip on our own should be a bonus for these employees!!! I dont judge people on their opinions on gratuity..we all see things differently aNd have a right to our own opinion aNd should be in CONTROL OF WHERE OUR MONEY GOES!!!! I have personally heard from employees that they see VERY LITTLE of this GRATUiTY JACKPOT THAT IS COLLECTED from the CRUiSE LiNE!!!!!! NOW WHO'S THE CHEAPWAD????????????

That'd be...anyone who doesn't pay it.

Not True!!! They might add the tips to there salary but its still a tip no matter how you look at it! My husband always has a problem with the tips and takes them off of our S n S account. I then have to go sneak around and pay all of them cash. lol it probably works better for the staff as I tip more then the suggested tips! My husband has always been like this so i leave a lot of cash tips after he leaves the table !!:D

So you can take them off your account?

Carnival will put this gratuity on your bill are last cruise was the amount of $80.50 per person can you have this removed from your bill while on board or before or do you have to pay this?

Sure. Guest services will take care of that for you.

I have personally heard from employees that they see VERY LITTLE of this GRATUiTY JACKPOT THAT IS COLLECTED from the CRUiSE LiNE!!!!!! NOW WHO'S THE CHEAPWAD????????????

If that is true I can feel a lawsuit against Carnival Co. for "Fraud" coming.

Can you prove this ?

...I have personally heard from employees that they see VERY LITTLE of this GRATUiTY JACKPOT THAT IS COLLECTED from the CRUiSE LiNE!!!!!!...

I believe this to be spot on accurate, but not for the reasons you're suggesting.

This is likely very accurate because the $5.80 per day collected for dining, for example, is divvied up amongst a gazillion hardworking crew members. That's why everyone share of the $5.50 per day becomes so important to them.;)

I'm not even gonna read the other replies, because I'm sure you are gonna get a good flaming, but Yes, the gratuities are optional. They automatically credit them to your account. You can have them removed at any time during sailing. I'm sure you know that you should tip though. Carnival charges this to every passenger to ensure that their employees are getting tipped. I don't like it personally, because I think that you should be able to tip by yourself. I'm a big tipper, (I'm in the service industry) but I beleive a tip should be for a job well done, not an expected job to be done. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

If that is true I can feel a lawsuit against Carnival Co. for "Fraud" coming.

Can you prove this ?

Answer this..how many cruisers have been dbl charged for drinks & dbl shots when not ordered? It has been admitted because this is how they get $$$! I was told this by a server when I disputed drinks & shots that were not ordered. Very sad.

Archived