Service Gratuity ?

Big-Will

Hi Slo Mo ...quick question if you don't mind...I usually rely on the pre-paid gratuities and then on the last night feel rather guilty as I always get great service...my question is how much would you recommend for steward waiter and do you tip his assistant the same? Half? I don't want to insult them I just want to be average ...any help would be appreciated..

Fist of all, no need to feel guilty as you did pay the suggested autotip amount. I do know what you mean though because in 6 cruises we have always had great stewards. I always give my steward $10 at both the beginning and end of each cruise. I feel they earn it and they always seem to appreciate it. We had a 3 man team of waiters on Glory and I gave each an additional $10 later in the week. They also seemed very appreciative. That extra $50 was in addition to the $241.50 autotip for 3 PAX.

I'm sure others give more or less and even give nothing altogether but I've always understood that this is an expected cost of cruising.

Not true there is a list sent and everyone you deal with knows you have taken them off.

This is correct.Wennfred posted a picture (I tried to open but for some reason cant get it to load) from 2009 and it showed who removed auto grats

Cheap people hide your toothbrush

This is correct.Wennfred posted a picture (I tried to open but for some reason cant get it to load) from 2009 and it showed who removed auto grats

Cheap people hide your toothbrush

They know. In any case just consider part of the cruising cost and move on.

My statement is correct. You're the one who is saying it is non-removable in prior posts and you must pay it. Check your facts, the employees get paid a salary.

Uhuh. I never said it couldn't be removed. I will say categorically that it SHOULDN'T be removed. If you were correct, we would be in agreement. It isn't a tip, it is their pay. Their onboard salary from the ship wouldn't pay enough to wash their socks. Without the service charge (what many mistakenly call a gratuity) they are working for what amounts to free.

Do some research.

Actually, they do get salary, and it is considerably more than they would make in their own countries (why do you think that they do it?) Also, they are tips, not wages. Carnival and other cruise lines only installed auto tips because some people from differenet countries and such do not know how to tip. And some people don't know how much to tip. Tips are recommended, not required. You my friend are the one who needs to do the research :)

Heres a quite from cruiselinesjobs

"Q: How much do the employees earn?

A: The tipping personnel earn from $1500 up to $4000 USD per month (that's including the tips). The non-tipping personnel earn from $350 to $500 per week. More information about wages."

Even non tipping personnel earn more than I do every month!

And Cruiseshipjobnetworks

Q: How much can I expect to be paid?

A: A typical cruise ship salary is usually somewhere between $1,500 and $8,000 a month.

Most cruise ship employees find that their salaries are one of the largest benefits to working on a cruise ship. Because there are so few expenses the potential to save money is very high. Living expenses, such as room and board, are almost always provided by the cruise ship company and large benefit packages including: insurance, dental, 401K, travel benefits, disability and family perks and discounts are also common.

The size of the ship, the company, the clientele, and your working position are all variables that will affect your salary. Time off at ports and large bar tabs are a good way to dent your sizeable savings however, excursions and expenses such as these are rarely enough to impede the savings potential working on a cruise ship affords you.

And here's a quote from Lisa Shea. She talks about the hours. They are working LONG! They are making about $5 SALARY an hour. Which is awesome. Also consider where they come from, they have NO expenses (housing, food, insurance and medical are all taken care of)

"Passengers on cruises expect their rooms to be prepared several times a day, with beds waiting for them in the evening. They even expect towel animals! How much does the cabin steward / stewardess make?

The amount of course varies from line to line, and based on the tips given. The salary is typically about $1,800/month. Remember - that's not for 40 hours of service. That is usually for 7 days a week, 12+ hours a day, of reasonably hard work. That's about $5/hr. You usually work during the day - so you can't enjoy the ports you're visiting - and you're not allowed to be on deck with the passengers in your off hours. Instead, you have a crew room below decks, and eat from the crew kitchen."

Fist of all, no need to feel guilty as you did pay the suggested autotip amount. I do know what you mean though because in 6 cruises we have always had great stewards. I always give my steward $10 at both the beginning and end of each cruise. I feel they earn it and they always seem to appreciate it. We had a 3 man team of waiters on Glory and I gave each an additional $10 later in the week. They also seemed very appreciative. That extra $50 was in addition to the $241.50 autotip for 3 PAX.

I'm sure others give more or less and even give nothing altogether but I've always understood that this is an expected cost of cruising.

Thanks for your response ..I believe I will kick in a little extra if the service is there ...and it always has been in the past

Cheers

Heres a quite from cruiselinesjobs

"Q: How much do the employees earn?

A: The tipping personnel earn from $1500 up to $4000 USD per month (that's including the tips). The non-tipping personnel earn from $350 to $500 per week. More information about wages."

Even non tipping personnel earn more than I do every month!

And Cruiseshipjobnetworks

Q: How much can I expect to be paid?

A: A typical cruise ship salary is usually somewhere between $1,500 and $8,000 a month.

Most cruise ship employees find that their salaries are one of the largest benefits to working on a cruise ship. Because there are so few expenses the potential to save money is very high. Living expenses, such as room and board, are almost always provided by the cruise ship company and large benefit packages including: insurance, dental, 401K, travel benefits, disability and family perks and discounts are also common.

The size of the ship, the company, the clientele, and your working position are all variables that will affect your salary. Time off at ports and large bar tabs are a good way to dent your sizeable savings however, excursions and expenses such as these are rarely enough to impede the savings potential working on a cruise ship affords you.

And here's a quote from Lisa Shea. She talks about the hours. They are working LONG! They are making about $5 SALARY an hour. Which is awesome. Also consider where they come from, they have NO expenses (housing, food, insurance and medical are all taken care of)

"Passengers on cruises expect their rooms to be prepared several times a day, with beds waiting for them in the evening. They even expect towel animals! How much does the cabin steward / stewardess make?

The amount of course varies from line to line, and based on the tips given. The salary is typically about $1,800/month. Remember - that's not for 40 hours of service. That is usually for 7 days a week, 12+ hours a day, of reasonably hard work. That's about $5/hr. You usually work during the day - so you can't enjoy the ports you're visiting - and you're not allowed to be on deck with the passengers in your off hours. Instead, you have a crew room below decks, and eat from the crew kitchen."

Thank you for providing statistical information.

Thank you for providing statistical information.

No problem! I would rather research than guess. I have actually been researching different places to figure out the truth for a few weeks now. By no means completely accurate, but I have read those figures in quite a few different places.

It should be perfectly fine for someone to want to remove the tips. I personally like the convenience but there can be plenty of reason to remove them without it being because you're a tight wad.

Perhaps the OP would prefer to make sure these people get cash? Maybe they don't want the ship dictating how much each person gets. Maybe they are afraid the tips won't get to the workers.

I don't buy the argument of tips getting split up between tons of people. There are tipped positions and non tipped. If you don't deal directly with the public then you probably are not in a tipped position. I think it's fine to tip cash to the people that deserve it.

As with cruising, this is something they agreed upon.

While it is true that cruise ship employees in dining and housekeeping make most of their money from the gratuities, it cannot be expected. When signing the contract, they agreed they will receive their salary at the minimum. The gratuities should be for good service only to supplement their salary. We have been seeing less of this as consumers. In the end, it is solely at the discretion of the consumer to choose whether or not to leave the automatic gratuities on or remove them. The crew cannot be guaranteed to receive this and they can only hope at the end of the sailing it is still there. It doesn't matter if it isn't. This is a risk they assumed by working in a service position onboard a cruise ship.

Those who post about them not making any money, take that up with their employer. Cruisers should not be expected to compensate for Carnival trying to get by for paying their employees a low salary. However, this low salary is to be the minimum wage in the Bahamas and Panama as per ship's registry.

Exactly!

It should be perfectly fine for someone to want to remove the tips. I personally like the convenience but there can be plenty of reason to remove them without it being because you're a tight wad.

Perhaps the OP would prefer to make sure these people get cash? Maybe they don't want the ship dictating how much each person gets. Maybe they are afraid the tips won't get to the workers.

I don't buy the argument of tips getting split up between tons of people. There are tipped positions and non tipped. If you don't deal directly with the public then you probably are not in a tipped position. I think it's fine to tip cash to the people that deserve it.

The problem being is my good tip and your good tip may be very very different

Let just say you go to work next week thinking your making X amount of dollars and your boss says this week you did the same job as last week and I think this week I will pay you 30% less salary because I have never been in a tipped position or I drank too much and my sign ansd sail bill is too high or I wanted that expensive excursion so I will save money on tips.The bottom line is cheap is cheap and those who remove tips in general only have intentions to help themselves(and they know it)

The problem being is my good tip and your good tip may be very very different

Let just say you go to work next week thinking your making X amount of dollars and your boss says this week you did the same job as last week and I think this week I will pay you 30% less salary because I have never been in a tipped position or I drank too much and my sign ansd sail bill is too high or I wanted that expensive excursion so I will save money on tips.The bottom line is cheap is cheap and those who remove tips only have intentions to help themselves(and they know it)

I guess for me I'm not going to judge someone because they asked a question. Maybe they are cheap. But that's for them to worry about. If they can remove the tips then we should let them know and that's it. I don't mind people voicing an opinion on why they should leave the tips on. But it stinks to see someone get flamed because it's automatically assumed they are cheap. Aside from that, if I expected consistency in pay I wouldn't take a tipped position. Restaurant servers can have huge pay fluctuations no matter how consistent their work is. That's the downfall of a tipped position.

I also don't know the tax implications for these workers but isn't cash always the better choice? If all the tips go through the ship they have to claim it all as income. I suppose I'll get flamed for suggesting they cheat on taxes. :D

I guess for me I'm not going to judge someone because they asked a question. Maybe they are cheap. But that's for them to worry about. If they can remove the tips then we should let them know and that's it. I don't mind people voicing an opinion on why they should leave the tips on. But it stinks to see someone get flamed because it's automatically assumed they are cheap. Aside from that, if I expected consistency in pay I wouldn't take a tipped position. Restaurant servers can have huge pay fluctuations no matter how consistent their work is. That's the downfall of a tipped position.

I also don't know the tax implications for these workers but isn't cash always the better choice? If all the tips go through the ship they have to claim it all as income. I suppose I'll get flamed for suggesting they cheat on taxes. :D

I never flamed the original poster I just voiced my opinion in general.Being a bartender for over 20 years I know alot about tip fluctuations and how tipped positions work.I also know how to read people very well :)

yes!!!

My girlfriend had hers taken off on one cruise in the middle of the cruise because she really did get bad service in the room and at dinner. When her final bill came they were on there. Service desk wouldn't take them off and it took over a month for Carnival to credit her after she got back and made numerous phone calls.

I never flamed the original poster I just voiced my opinion in general.Being a bartender for over 20 years I know alot about tip fluctuations and how tipped positions work.I also know how to read people very well :)

I didn't mean to imply that you were the one doing the flaming. Sorry about that.

I didn't mean to imply that you were the one doing the flaming. Sorry about that.

No worries :)

I was speaking about generally people who remove tips have intentions to save money or it would just be easier to leave the auto grats in place and just enjoy your vacation without spending precious sun time standing in line to remove what the crew deserves( and think they will be getting)

....I definitely make sure I tip the crew members at the end of my cruise. However, if an adjustment has to be made because the service I received was not great, which has happened a few times on my cruises, then it will be made. Personally for me I've yet to adjust the tips that were automatically charged to my card but if I ever receive terrible service then I'm glad I have that option to do so. I don't think workers should rely on a tip just because its automatically added. They need to earn this tip from me.

I also think people who get upset at others who come on a forum and say things like they don't want to tip or something need to stop judging because sometimes I find people who judge others and get mad are the ones that probably don't follow their own advice. So quick to judge people behind a computer. SMH!!

Curious as to a couple things. Anyone have any ideas on if the children/teen club people are allowed tips? Also a while ago there was a thread that gave ideas of things the crew loved to get. I remember I brought a large bag of twizzlers and you would have thought it was gold LOL

Curious as to a couple things. Anyone have any ideas on if the children/teen club people are allowed tips? Also a while ago there was a thread that gave ideas of things the crew loved to get. I remember I brought a large bag of twizzlers and you would have thought it was gold LOL

Camp Carnival crew can accept tips.Actually Im pretty sure anyone can accept tips except maybe for the officers

Archived