Walking to New Orleans (cruise ships)

zydecocruiser

Thanks so much! I'll have a couple rolling bags and a garment bag. I just want to make sure my husband will be able to make it from the hotel to the pier carting all my stuff. ;)

Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

the past few years we've parked in the whale lot to cruise out of NOLA. last year when we arrived, it was not open, but it did open later around 11am. does anyone one if there are set hours when it is regularly available or was it just closed randomly.

luv2:p

How hard would it be to get your luggage on and off the streetcars. Is there much room on them...And will the street cars be running during mardi gras? Thanx

Oops. Sorry. Never saw this one. The streetcars run during Mardi Gras but can get very crowded. The St Charles line will suspend operations during parades along it's route and start again after.

I wouldn't even try to get my luggage on a streetcar. There are no overhead bins or other places to put it. Which one of the streetcar lines were you thinking about?

On the whale lot - I dunno. I always rent a car from Hertz at the airport and drop it off at the Hertz location on Convention Blvd.

I assume you are referring to the Holiday Inn Select Convention Center.

I'd estimate about 3 1/2 blocks. Very practical as far as I'm concerned. I've walked that distance + a cruise ship and a half farther to get to the Conquest before.

I'm on the Nov 6 Sun sailing and is what I plan on doing. I'll have a huge suitcase + garment bag + laptop bag + probably one more (I've downsized!), but the suitcase rolls easily. If you see me post after that you'll know I survived!

Thanks for the great info! I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Select Convention Center, too. I'm a bit confused, though, after reading your initial posts and viewing some of the pix (although many gave me a "file not found" error). You mentioned that there are some areas that are off limits to pedestrians. Since you stated in the post I quoted that the walk from the HHSCC to the ship is practical, I assume that means the walk does not talk you through any pedestrian-prohibited areas. Is that correct? And thanks again!

AOL must be moving things around - most of the pictures seem to be back. (well maybe not - I'll check again).

I don't think you will have any problem walking to NCL Sun. When in November are you sailing? I'm on the Nov 6 sailing and that's what I plan on doing.

We walked from the Hampton Inn and Suites in June.......(it's a little farther than the Holiday Inn). Yes, you will walk through the area posted "no pedestrians", but nobody will stop you. Just stay to the side so the cars and buses can pass safely. There won't be a lot of people walking, but you won't be the only ones.

Ooo. Then you might want to just hop on the free shuttle that leaves from Fulton Street garage across the street from your hotel. Just pretend you parked your car there.

A taxi will charge $7pp + I think a buck surcharge for gas. It's a flat rate to the cruise ships even though you are so close.

• 3 weeks later...

we recently stayed at the holiday inn convention center and walked to the pier with no problems. dh and i (40s) and ds (19 and fit) and dd (21 and 6 1/2 months pregnant). we walked through the area that said pedestrians prohibited. we stayed far off the road as possible. it was no problem whatsoever.

• 9 months later...

Archived