Cruise Critic Community
Lil' Baba

Zuiderdam, Volendam or Amsterdam ? Which would you choose ??

We are planning an Alaskan cruise in July on HAL; It as been 7 years since I have sailed with them. The itinerary is the same on all three ships.

My question is: Which one of these ships would you sail on and why...

Any input would be appreciated.

Lil' Baba

We are planning an Alaskan cruise in July on HAL; It as been 7 years since I have sailed with them. The itinerary is the same on all three ships.

My question is: Which one of these ships would you sail on and why...

Any input would be appreciated.

Lil' Baba

This was asked in another thread earlier this week. Volendam - mid-week departure - great size ship.

They've all got their good points. Out of the 3 I'd say the Zuiderdam has the best food and the worst entertainment. The other 2 are decent enough in both those areas. If you're looking for a balcony cabin you'd want to look at the Zuiderdam because they've got a lot more available than the other 2 and you might get a good rate.

You can't go wrong on any of them. Beautiful scenic cruising.

The itinerary is not exactly the same. The Zuiderdam and Volendam make a service call at Tracy Arm fjord. Those that purchase the add on excursion for Tracy Arm are dropped off here and board a small boat which takes them into the fjord. (awesome excursion if you like beautiful scenery) After their tour, they are taken to Juneau to meet up with the cruise ship.

As mentioned, many like the mid-week departure. My DD will be on the Volendam. The week she is going there will be four ships in Ketchikan but only two in both Juneau and Skagway. She chose the Volendam because she needed an early or mid-week departure.

I have been on the Volendam and the Amsterdam and liked them both. I would be leary of the Zuiderdam because that ship has many reports of plumbing problems.

Here's another vote for the Volendam. The ship is the right size (as is the Amsterdam), has the mid-week departure (so fewer visitors in the ports and less competition at the airport), and allows the smaller boat excursion up Tracy Arm.

Hi. I just booked a cruise on the Volendam to Alaska. It is a 7 day return trip to Vancouver leaving on July 17, 2012. I also looked at the 7 day on the Amsterdam but we wanted to go in July and the Amsterdam doesn't sail in to Glacier Bay on July 5, 19, and 26. This info is from the HAL website. That being said, I booked on the Volendam - a bit more money but if you are going to Alaska you must go to Glacier Bay. Not a problem if you aren't interested in these dates!! We were on the Volendam in May for the same cruise and obviously love it.