Live from June 5 Brilliance!!

My husband and I spent 4 days in Barcelona after the Brilliance this last October. We did everything on our own and it was great. We stayed just off of Las Ramblas and we found it extremely easy to get every where we wanted to be. We took a couple of days and did the 'hop on hop off" bus and that takes you all over. We also walked everywhere. Down at Port Olympic, where you can walk as well, there were TONS of restaurants. Seriously, I don't know how they all survive. Lots of great places to eat and drink. We are going on the Brilliance again next September (2006) and I already can't wait! Hope you have a great time!

Steph

Sorry for the delay again. Between our busy schedule and the intermittent internet connections, it's been tough getting back here.

To answer some of your questions, at times it is possible to see lights along the shore. I don't know how far we are sailing from land, but sometimes it's fairly close.

We have arrived on time in every port except Rome. There we were 90 minutes late, so we left 90 minutes late.

You are supposed to be back onboard 30 minutes before the ship sails.

We are running off to the main town on Mykonos. There is a shuttle bus that costs $4 per person each way, and right now it looks like it's too far to walk into town. I'll post my update but obviously it's a little bit behind.

Monday continued:

They started tendering passengers sometime between 10 and 10:30. By the time we went to deck 5 in the Centrum for our tickets at 11:20, they were up to number 10 and we had another 15 minutes to wait. The tenders ran every 30 minutes until 10:30, which was all aboard time.

We had no tours scheduled so we simply walked the waterfront first, then Le Croisette (the main drag) and then we boarded Le Petit Train for a 30-minute tour of the old city. The open-sided bus took us up to Le Suquet where we got some great photos looking over the city and the harbor. There is another bus that goes through the more modern sections of town. Our bus costs 6 Euros pp and I believe the other bus was 8 Euros pp.

We checked out the open air cafes on the main street, but the prices were high for lunch and most of them served Italian food. We ended up on a back street at a little outdoor café where we had beef steaks with french fries and salad, a Coke and a glass of red wine for 29 Euros plus tip. We then went hunting for the two items I read were a must buy in the south of France: olive oil soap and jellied fruits.

Dinner was good again, although sparsely attended. Many tours returned late so 6 p.m. seating was quite empty and many of those passengers who did make it arrived late. I had a mozzarella and tomato appetizer, Tuscan white bean soup and the Coq au Vin. DH had the same appetizer as well as shrimp cocktail, and also had the Coq au Vin. For dessert, he had a neopolitan, which was very good, and a raspberry melba, which was deemed okay. I had the chocolate hazelnut torte, which was very rich but tasty.

We didn’t make it to the concert, but spent some more time in the ColonyClub. At 10:45 there was a poolside buffet with food and desserts and it was pretty well attended. Tomorrow is a big day, so it’s relatively early to bed.

Tuesday: We’ve docked in Livorno at 6:30, and once again there is no internet connection. Our tour (Florence on Your Own) leaves at 8:15, so it’s time to head to the Pacifica Theater.

Tuesday continued: We got on the bus at 8:15 and pulled out right away. We were in Florence in about an hour and 40 minutes and walked about 10 minutes to Santa Croce Square. After being given our meeting time (3:30), we were off. After checking out Santa Croce Square, we headed over to the fountain of Neptune and saw the copy of David in the square. The line at the Uffizi stretched all the way down the building and wrapped around, so we decided to head over to the Duomo. As we came in to the square, the building actually took my breath away. We explored the cathedral and then decided to climb the 461 steps to the top of the dome. It was a tough climb, but not as cramped as I expected, and the views were spectacular. By the time we returned to the ground we were starving, so we had a panini and a glass of chianti at a wine bar I read about in Gourmet magazine, I Fratellini. From there, we headed over the Ponte Vecchio to another wine bar I either read about or found online (I can’t remember which): Le volpi e l’uva. The owner, Giancarlo Cantini, speaks English and was very helpful in suggesting various wines. We tasted about six different Italian wines and enjoyed bread and Italian cheeses. We left about 90 minutes later with our bellies full and six bottles of wine, which we had no problem bringing on board. (It actually wouldn’t have mattered if they had held the bottles for us, because we plan to take them home.) We bought a 1999 Brunello for 38 Euros, and can’t wait to enjoy it this summer by the pool.

By that time, it was about 45 minutes before we were leaving and we needed a rest, so we got gelatos from Vivoli on Via Isola Delle Stinche, two blocks from Santa Croce Square. The prices are reasonable and the gelato is fabulous. I had orange chocolate and DH had peach. Yum. Once everyone arrived, it took us 90 minutes to get back. Thank goodness we had made reservations at Chops for 7:30 because we didn’t get back onboard until after 5 and we desperately needed showers. It was a formal night, but we dressed smart casual for Chops and headed right back to the cabin to do some work on the laptop before hitting the sack.

Wednesday: The captain had announced last night that there would be strong winds last night, but we never felt anything. However, there are strong winds this morning and five ships docking in Civitavecchia this morning, and we are delayed 50 minutes so far. Everyone is wandering around the ship aimlessly because we don’t know when exactly we will be in port. I arranged for a group of 12 to tour Rome with Driver in Rome, and I’ll update this when we return tonight.

Thursday: I’m a bit behind but yesterday was a very busy day. We finally docked and were able to get off the ship around 9:15. We found our driver and were very surprised to also be greeted by Remo, the owner of Driver in Rome, who served as our narrator for the day. He told us jokes all the way to Rome, played the accordian at our first stop and later in the day, and eventually sang for us. We made many, many stops and I cannot remember all of them but the highlights were St. Peter’s in Chains, Capitoline Hill, the Trevi Fountain, the Coloseum (please forgive all spelling errors!), the Vatican Museum, where Remo arranged a tour guide for a two hour tour, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter’s Basilica. We had about five minutes in St. Peter’s Square (I wish we had more time there) and it was still full of the chairs from the morning’s papal address so we couldn’t move around too well, but all in all, it was the best day of the cruise so far and that’s because of Remo, Driver in Rome, and the terrific group of Cruise Critic members who joined us on the tour.

Because we left late, the ship didn’t sail until 8:30 rather than 7 p.m. We had dinner at Chop’s again (we forgot to cancel), and were so tired we were back in our cabin by 10:15.

This morning we slept in until 8 a.m. and then had breakfast in the buffet. We went to the Meet & Mingle, which was well attended (probably 50 people showed up), and Bill the cruise director raffled off about six prizes. We took some group photos, and by the time we finished chatting, it was time to eat again. We’ve lazed about all day, but it’s formal night, so it’s off to the salon for me. More later.

Good Morning.:)

It is tremendous that someone takes the time to share all this wonderful information. Thank you so much, you really give us such wonderful insight and ifo. so we can plan our trip even better.

As for Florence, we can get tickets via this website for the galleries.

http://www.florenceart.it/booking/?goto-uffizzi-gallery

I have been to Florence several times, and know it quite well and personally I think that Florence is fun to do on your own with some research on what to see and do. One site I reccomend to explore is "Virtual Tourist" .

Olliekl, thanks again. I am looking forward to follow your steps Sept.9,2005.

Liv from Houston

While I have a few minutes I wanted to answer a few more questions. I'll post more of the log tomorrow. If I missed your question, I promise to answer it after our return. It may be because I need more time to answer or need more information, but I will definitely answer it.

In Florence, the bus stopped about 10 minutes from Santa Croce Square and we walked there with the guide. She dropped us off in front of a leather store (Misuri) where we could use the facilities (and the toilets had seats!!) before heading off. We got there around 10:30 and were to meet back at 3:25. We did not make any stops on the way to or from Florence, although we could see Pisa out the side window of the bus on the way to Florence.

To add more to the ports question, we actually arrived in Mykonos early today, but we have to leave Turkey early tomorrow because they are requiring that the ship be in Piraeus at 4:30 a.m. in order to get a berth. We also heard that no other ships have docked in Turkey so far this season because of political unrest, so if we do we'll be the first. I don't know if that rumor is true, but I'll let you know if we actually make it to Turkey.

The weather, except for yesterday morning, continues to be fabulous. It was a little cool in Rome (a light sweater or 3/4-sleeved shirt would have been perfect and yesterday it drizzled and was cloudy until about 2 p.m. After that the sun came out and we did some sunbathing on our balcony. Today it's sunny and about 77 degrees with a light breeze coming off the water. I managed to tap into someone's unsecured wireless internet network (let that be a lesson to those of you who have not secured your home network yet) so I am typing this from our balcony as we overlook Mykonos and the beautiful white buildings with blue shutters.

Cybercabin is unlimited access but we have often not been able to get on the internet despite the fact that we could connect to Cybercabin.

There was no time to shop on our tour with Remo. Someone stopped in the gift shop at Vatican and there was about 5 minutes after St. Peter's Basicila while we waited for the bus, but that was it.

I need to run off to get a shower so I can have a few minutes to relax on our balcony with some wine before we go to Chops for the third time. We'll be going to Portofinos in two days, so I'll let you know how we find it. We were less than thrilled the last time we went, but have been assured it is better now.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. This has truly been the trip of a lifetime thus far, and we are so greatful that we are able to do this while we are relatively young and can enjoy it.

I'll be back tomorrow.

Karen

I hope you are able to make it into Kusadasi. It is a pleasant little place, and Epheseus is a must see. The best ruins I have visited. Remember you don't have to buy the rug. Keep repeating that to yourself while in Kusadasi! :D It worked for us. I just didn't know we needed to be chanting you don't have to buy the custom leather pants that my wife got! ;) :D Cybercabin is pretty flakey in my experience. I am always getting thrown off my work connection, but it is better than no connection!

jc

Hi Karen I really look forward to your reports, thank you again../

I had the same problem with the cybercabin when we were on the Brilliance this past February... It was so bad, more off than on, that I ended up getting a refund as I didn't think we had enough use out of it...it was very frustrating.

I didn't know about Turkey, hope you get to go there... My friend is on a cruise in a few weeks which includes Instanbul, so is the unrest everywhere or just Kusadasi

I know this is an exhausting cruise but well worth it right!!!!

Do you know who is the conceige person, I think we had Brett...

I just didn't know we needed to be chanting you don't have to buy the custom leather pants that my wife got! jc

jc, I don't think it would as much of a problem if you didn't keep "borrowing" the leather pants from her without permission.:eek:

Allen

Thanks Karen,

FOllowing you up on June 17, 2005. We are really enjoying your tidbits and admire you for even writing. We finished up our last full week of work. YOu have really gotten us into the excitement. Thanks so much,

Carol and Dennis

Hey Karen, I know that You are having a Wonderful Experience in The Mediterranean. Thanks for leading the way for Us.

I'm sorting and packing, What type of clothes are you mostly wearing while in Port? I'm packing 3/4 sleeve shirts, capri's, cap sleeve shirts and shorts,

And my Nike walking shoes.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD BRING??????? UMBRELLA?????

It would be so Wonderful to meet You and see Vicki and Marc on June 17.

I hope Vicki is having Better Luck now, I felt so bad for her getting her camera stolen in Barcelona. Tell Vicki and Marc Hello from Donna.

Karen:

When we were on RCI in Europe in 2003, they'd set up desks before each port stop so passengers could buy local currencies and Euros on board. Are they doing that on this cruise as well? What exchange rate are they selling Euros for?

Thanks so much for all the good info you're posting!

Lennie & Tom

We are on the June 17th sailing of Brilliance. This is our first trip to Rome, Venice and Pisa/Florence - and we are wondering if there are any restricitons on the type of shoes worn in places like St. Marks, Sistene Chapel, etc.? We have read of the clothing restrictions (covered knees and shoulders) and have planned for them - however, but there was no mention of footwear in the documentation - so we were not certain if there were any shoe restrictions. We are from Scottsdale, Arizona where it's quite hot most of the time - so we usually chose to wear sandals and flip-flops, with open toes.

Can anyone tell me if there are any shoe restrictions? We're trying to keep the shoe packing to a minimum and don't want to take more than necessary.

If anyone can help on this subject - we would greatly appreciate it!

:) Thanks, Laurie

Hi all! Thanks for all the support. It's good to know I'm not writing into a vacuum!

We have been seeing all types of clothing here. The temperatures have been in the high 70s to low 80s, although it was very warm at the Acropolis this morning. I started off wearing capris and short sleeved shirts or blouses (especially for Florence and Rome because of the churches) but I have been wearing shorts or skirts and sleeveless shirts since then. DH wore slacks in Florence and Rome but has been wearing shorts ever since. We have seen people in long sleeves, tank tops, jeans, etc. I would bring something for cooler weather, but mostly clothing for warm temperatures. The coolest it's been was in Rome, when it was about 70 degrees and there was a very cool breeze all day. We brought an umbrella, but luckily haven't had to use it.

As far as footwear is concerned, I wore sandals in Rome and sneakers in Florence and today in Athens. I don't think there are any restrictions on footwear. I can tell you that one of the men in our group had rolled up his pants in the Vatican Museum and before we entered the Sistine Chapel, he was told to roll them back down. I don't know how men's calves are bad when the women were wearing capris, but that's the way it was.

I'm exhausted after today, so here's the log for the past few days. I'll probably get back to this the day after tomorrow, which is the sea day.

Sunday: Friday we were in Mykonos and had a wonderful time. It was nothing like what we expected. First, it is a $4 per person per way charge for the shuttle to town. The ride takes approximately 10 minutes, but it is on a twisty, winding road and there is no shoulder, so I do not recommend walking. We walked around the town, bought an unusual pearl necklace and two pairs of matching earrings (Jewellery Panagiotis), and had lunch in a restaurant just off Taxi Square. I have to review our photos to discover the name, but I believe it was Camares. We shared a Greek sausage with spicy sauce appetizer, I had the lamb souvlaki with a yogurt sauce and DH had a chicken breast stuffed with Greek cheese and dates. Both entrees were delicious. We shared a bottle of still water. The total bill came to about 40 Euros – a little expensive, but it was a fabulous meal and we enjoyed it overlooking the harbor.

We then walked around the town and got lost in the warren of small streets and whitewashed buildings. We bought some locally made sandals for 22 Euros, and then made our way up to the windmills which overlook the water and the town. The temperature was about 77 degrees and it was sunny; not too hot for walking around but warm enough for a sleeveless shirt and shorts.

On Saturday we were in Turkey. Originally we had not planned any activities for this port, but we decided to invite two of our friends from the crew to have lunch with us. We walked around the harbor area and stopped at a “beach club” (the beach consisted of rocks) for some drinks and chatting, and then walked around town until we found a terrific restaurant about four blocks from the harbor called Oz Urfa Restaurant. We had soup, an entrée that consisted of shaved meat on cubed pita with yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion, a hot pepper, rice and french fries, shared a bottle of wine and a bottle of water, and had a fruit plate for dessert. The total for four people was 45 Euros and the food was delicious. We then decided to check out some leather in a shop around the corner called Kira (or something very similar). To make a long story short, we spent an hour and 40 minutes looking at jackets and then waiting for some alterations only to walk out without the jacket. The alterations merely consisted of taking in the lining rather than taking in the leather, and the stitching came out immediately. The prices weren’t bad, but if you have to have alterations, you may want to buy your leather in Italy, wait to have the alterations down at home, or skip the process altogether.

Today we had a tour of Athens through Spiros Taxi. Despite the fact that I had booked a tour with Spiros 15 months ago, when I confirmed two months ago that he was going to be our driver, he claimed that someone else had already reserved him. I insisted on a non-smoking, English speaking driver, and we got a good one by the name of Michael Sinanidis. He took four of us in a Mercedes sedan to the Acropolis first (12 Euros entrance fee and you cannot bring in backpacks, but there is a place you can check in your bags and they hold them for free) and we beat most of the tours. The Acropolis was awesome. I could not believe the scale of the columns, and the museum was very interesting as well. It is very hot and there is very little shade, so be certain to put on sunscreen and carry water with you. It’s also a good idea to make certain you have extra film or memory cards, as you will take LOTS of photos. We also visited a monastery, the Temple of Zeus, took the funcular to the top of the highest point (or nearly the highest point) in Athens, ate at an outdoor café in the Plaka and walked around a bit, and saw the changing of the guard at 11:15. (Be certain to stand across the street before it starts because after the band and the guards pass by, everyone across the street comes to the other side and has a dead-on view of the changing of the guard.) On the way back to the ship, Michael took us for a view of the harbor where all the yachts are docked and a final view of Athens. We could see the Acropolis off in the distance. All in all, it was an awesome day, although it was hot and exhausting.

Tonight we ate in Portofino’s after having eaten in Chops three times. The food has improved since our last meal there three years ago, but I personally enjoy Chops better. There is a Greek toga party tonight, but it has been moved from the pool deck to the Colony Club because it is quite windy. The chocolate buffet has also been moved from the pool deck to the Windjammer, but we are really tired and are off to bed. Tomorrow is Santorini and I have a feeling there will be lots to see tomorrow, even though all the museums are closed on Monday.

More soon.

Karen

I'll post more about our terrific day in Santorini tomorrow (sea day), but I checked on a few things.

With regard to changing money, most of us have been taking money from ATMs. We took all of the money we thought we would need out of our account at an ATM in Barcelona, and others have been tapping their accounts as they go along. Warning: Do NOT go to an ATM in Turkey, as their currency is the lira, not Euros!!! There is a foreign exchange desk onboard and there is no fee, but the exchange rate this week is running around $1.30 to 1 Euro -- about $0.08 higher than we are getting through the bank.

We have heard that the best excursion thus far has been in Turkey (I can't spell the place correctly). The excursion to avoid is Delos because we arrived at 1 p.m. and that is entirely too late to go. There is little shade and it gets very warm. Our friends also told us that after all the ruins they saw in Turkey, it wasn't worth it.

Regarding the toga party, they actually handed out sheets so people could fashion their own togas. You don't need to bring anything from home. No one dressed for western night or 50s & 60s night that I noticed. Dress has been somewhat more relaxed than we have experienced on Caribbean cruises because of all the excursion.

Speaking of dressing, it's smart casual night so I'm off to get ready.

Karen

There is a foreign exchange desk onboard and there is no fee, but the exchange rate this week is running around $1.30 to 1 Euro -- about $0.08 higher than we are getting through the bank.

Karen-- Thanks for this absolutely up-to-date info from right on board the Brilliance! It's very helpful to know this in planning for next month's cruise!

Lennie & Tom

Tuesday: Yesterday in Santorini was relaxing and lovely, with the exception of our vehicle. We took a tour with Santorini Day Tours and had Tina from Australia as our guide. There were eight of us in a nine person van and it was a warm, snug fit. (If anyone books with this company and has eight people, insist on a larger van.) It was okay as long as the windows were open and we were moving, but that made it difficult to hear her speak. She knew quite a bit about the island and its history and she was very nice. Make certain you know how much your tour costs, because Anna told Tina our price was 380 Euros when it was 320 Euros. When I stood firm, Tina called Anna and Anna apologized and said I was correct.

Nevertheless, we met at 10 a.m. outside of the cable car station in Fira and headed for the van. From there we went to Oia (or Ia) and toured through the town. Some of our group did some shopping at the many stores along the way, while the rest of us took photos of all of the stunning views that appeared around every corner. From there we visited Pyrgos and walked to the top of the hill for more great views, and then went to the Santos Winery for a wine tasting and some cheese (seven glasses of wine and a plate of cheese for 7.90 Euros). From there we returned to Fira for lunch, as it was after 2:00 and we were hungry. We ate at Tina’s boyfriend’s restaurant, Ampelos, which I do not recommend for the food but the views were spectacular. The appetizers were good, but the pork souvlaki was dry and tough.

There were several other things we could have seen, but everyone was tired from all the excursions and just took it easy. All of the museums and archeological sights were closed because it was Monday, so that cut down on our options.

Just as an FYI, there were no tender tickets required at least until 9 a.m. and there were only six people on our tender. If you plan to get off the ship early, I do not recommend buying your cable car tickets through the ship, as the cost on land is 3.50 Euros and the ship charges $4.65. DH and the husband of our friends decided to take the donkeys for 3.50 Euros and laughed all the way to the top. It only takes about 10 minutes to get to the top by donkey (they move fast) and we had to wait for the cable car so it took a few minutes longer. Some people walked up to the top and many people walked down, but it was hot in the sun and I don’t recommend that.

Last night the Colony Club was closed for a party for Philipine Independence Day. Apparently it was attended by the staff and crew and ran until midnight. There was a large group of Colony Club devotees who were not happy that a passenger area of the ship was closed for more than four hours on the evening before an at sea day when we all had the opportunity to stay up late and enjoy ourselves. Why this party was not held in the crew area of the ship was not explained to us, even though we discussed it with the bar manager and the hotel manager. We think the idea that the ship threw a party for its Filipino workers was wonderful, but it should have been held either in the crew area or during the day while most of the passengers were off the ship.

Today is our second at sea day and it’s sunny and in the low 70s. The sun is very strong and I’ll bet there are many sunburned people at formal night tonight. Tonight is also the Crown & Anchor party, held at 5:15 for main seating passengers and 7:15 for second seating passengers.

A few random notes: The captain of this ship is the most well spoken, witty, accessible captain we have ever sailed with. He makes one or two announcements a day providing our location, the weather report, sea conditions, miles to our next port, etc. He was very proud that we were sailing past his home island after we left Mykonos and he blew the ship’s horn as we went by.

Dinner times really should be moved to 7:00, 7:30, 9:30 and 10:00. There simply is not enough time to get back from excursions, clean up and get to dinner on time. We did hear that the dining room will allow you to arrive up to 40 minutes past your dining time and still be served.

The food continues to be good but not great, although we have heard many complaints about it. The menu is definitely more varied at night here than it is on Caribbean sailings. If you are expecting gourmet food on this ship, prepare to be disappointed.

I strongly recommend eating lunch in port. It was the highlight of our trip that we were able to eat local foods in small restaurants through the Med, and we generally ate for 10 Euros or less per person, often including wine.

Time to sunbathe!

I should add that with the Colony Club closed all night, there was no access to the game room or the pool tables, and dancing was available only in the Centrum (which has a very small dance floor but a great trio) and the disco.

A few other notes: The dining room is closed when the ship is in port and the menu is the same each day when it is open except for a special appetizer, entree and dessert of the day. The Seaview Cafe has expanded and improved its menu since we last sailed in February 2004. Today we had lunch there because the line for the BBQ on the pool deck was waaaay too long, and the food was good. I had pasta and DH had pizza. Yum!

It seems like the price of portraits continues to rise, so if you like to purchase photos onboard, allow for that in your budget. The photography staff must not come around to the tables in the dining room any longer, as we have not seen a photographer in there on any of the formal nights.

Karen

Karen.

Can you please be so kind as to inform me of the Nationality of the Officers.

I know Royal Caribbean sail under a Norwegian flag ( at least the ones I know)

I have friends and relatives that are Officers on R.B. and I was hoping to run in to some of my old friends.

P.S. Do you know the captains name? I think I know who will take his place in August.

Thank you again for all your help.

Liv:)

Karen:

Thanks so much for doing this onboard report. It is totally appreciated. I am taking the same cruise, same itinerary you're doing, next year. You've given me tons of ideas and information.

I was seriously considering the trip over to Delos because I love history and the chance to see some historic ruins sounds too good to pass up, but now having read your report, I'll have to re-think that excursion.

Have a great time in Naples and a safe journey back home.

I am loving the reviews since we follow on same cruise in 2 weeks.One question, should I cancel the RCCL side trip to Delos? We are there only several hours.We have booked our other side trips thru BOS and can't wait.

What has been your favorite stop, Kathy? I also can't decide what to at Naples. I know it will be a Saturday and really want to do the Amalfi drive trip but I fear we will spend 5 or more hours just on the bus. Any suggestions? Thanks, a million. Teddy

great reviews!!

Thx for posting about the exchange issues -- I've been debating whether to exchange on the ship or use and atm on shore, this answered quite a few questions!

Teddy: are you signed up for our MM on for the BOS on the 29th? I dont recall seeing you post on our forum!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=75171&highlight=brilliance

Archived