Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

So I know I read this a year after it happened but I so enjoyed it! It's helped the waiting for our cruise in October! But I still don't see a link to your Top Chef cruise, am I missing something or did you not write one????

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

As far as the Top Chef cruise…well…make me walk the gangplank - or throw me in the brig - as I never did write it. I blame the surgery I had immediately afterwards - those drugs somewhat messed with my memories of things, and I really don't have much recall of the cruise. In fact, I would swear it never happened, except for the 10 pounds that showed up around my hips immediately afterwards, due to all the yummy food. :)

So glad to have found this and your Med trip report as I have started my research for our trip in May 15. It's been compelling reading! We are combining both and sailing the Allure from Barcelona with one stop in France (Marseilles), Palma (Majorca) and three in Italy.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say, even though this is from last year, I found it so very helpful. My husband and I will be doing our very first cruise EVER on the Allure in January and this just put my mind at ease on how I was ever going to figure this ship out!

Your style of writing made me read each of the 66 pages in their entirety!

Thank You!!

And I'm sorry to the rest of you for moving this topic to the top...AGAIN! Blame it on me being a newbie! :eek:

I'm late to this party but I'm glad it was pushed to the top so I would discover it! Next fall I will be taking my three daughters on their first ever and my first in 30 years cruise. We won't be going on Allure (Indy) but I may be considering it for our next after reading your review.

Your writing style is wonderful and kept me engaged! I'm glad you had such a great experience and I think you for bringing us all along!

• 5 weeks later...

Wow Sherri... great review! I feel like we're best buds just finishing our first cruise adventure! I'll be one of over 300 singles sailing The Allure. It's my first time going it alone and my cabin is All-the-way Forward interior (deck 12). I was debating on whether to bring Sea Bands because Allure is so big, but now that I've read your review.. I won't leave home without them! My showtimes, excursions and Chef's Table are all booked. Other than the occasional cocktail or cupcake... it sounds like onboard spending will be in THE SPAAAHH! Thanks for sharing your vacation with us!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

KansCocoa, Thanks - What a great recounting of your Ma Doudou visit, I am in LOVE with the banana-vanilla in A BIG WAY! Great clear pix too, I tried to go there last year, but a very slow lunch in Marigot cancelled my mission, so now I know what it all looks like! A friend just brought me back not 1 or 3, but 12 bottles! :cool:

Edited by Vegasys

I just found this and I am so enjoying it! I have so far made it to page 16 and then suddenly lost the pictures. I have to click on each one instead of them just being there. Do you have any idea what I can do about this?

Thanks for taking the time to write this detailed review. I am anxiously awaiting my first cruise on the Allure in June.

So…

As I said…I booked this cruise on Wednesday, January 16th…for the January 20th sailing. Yowza.

While talking with the RCI agent on the phone, I asked what form of ID would be needed at embarkation. I had my driver’s license with me, but no other form of ID. I was told that a driver’s license would only be accepted with another form of government-issued ID, such as a Social Security card or birth certificate. Having neither one of those with me in Ft. Myers, a quick call was made to home (in Kansas City), and my passport was overnighted.

Overnighted...as in – I received it on Friday afternoon. Talk about cutting it close. Sheesh.

After arranging for my passport to be sent, I then searched online for a pre-cruise hotel to stay at in Ft. Lauderdale. As you can imagine, trying to find a hotel with only four nights to spare was not easy – most were booked solid. However, I did find one that had guest rooms available – and so I quickly reserved a room at the Hampton Inn & Suites at 2500 Stirling Rd…it was a little further away from the port than I would have liked, but they had a King Non-Smoking room available, and I would be able to leave my car parked there for the duration of the cruise.

hamptonInn_zps3d39c6f2.jpg

It was a short two-hour drive across I-75 from Ft. Myers to Ft. Lauderdale, and I was able to check in quickly and with no problems. I did have a chuckle when I saw the note posted on the bed in the room:

HotelDuvetSign_zpse9e4f5dc.jpg

Um…aren’t clean sheets a given when checking into a motel??!! I guess I should be grateful for the reassurance, though.

The room was clean…basic…and perfect for my needs. After freshening up, I headed to the restaurant, Southport Raw Bar, at 1536 Cordova Rd, to meet up with Steve and Amy, their parents, and Carol and Jeff.

SouthportFront_zpsa616b1f1.jpg

Because the GPS in my car was programmed back in the dinosaur days, combined with my World’s Worst Sense of Direction, I, uh, did get a bit lost, but I eventually found it and was quickly seated with our group for a delicious dinner of seafood.

The restaurant doesn’t look like much from the front – but don’t let it’s bland appearance fool you. It has tables that are in the back, and you get an incredible view of the water:

SouthportRawView_zps5acffde5.jpg

The food was delicious, and before we knew it, it was time to head back to our respective hotels/homes – and get ready for tomorrow’s adventure – embarkation! Before we left, though, we took a group photo – and because of the darkness, it didn’t turn out all that well – but still captured the warm spirit of the group:

SouthportGroupPhoto_zpsc4ce762d.jpg

After getting lost only 2-3 more times on the short drive back to the motel, I was finally ensconced, safe and sound, in my room...dreaming of sailaway parties and buffets and drinks with paper umbrellas.

Life was good.

I dont know you and you dont know me, but SOUTHPORT is my favorite seafood bar on the planet. Im a born and raised floridian, who lives in california now, but when i go "home". I always go to southport. Yuengling and oysters Rockefeller or the basket of shrimp and Im in heaven.....

thanks for the memory and the cruise review!

• 2 years later...

Okay, this is an older review, and I'm sure some of the events, shows, and I know the prices have changed. But it is still chockfull of good information and very, very entertaining!

I read Sherri’s Europe adventure first, because I had a Caribbeancruise booked on the Serenade. I thoughtI would get good information on the Cruise line and the ship.

Ahem, I liked it so much, I cancelled my cruise and had myown adventures in Europe!!!

So I read this one, because I knew it was going to be fun!

But I was NEVER, EVER going to go on a BIG SHIP. And I certainly would NEVER, EVER book lastminute!

Wrong! In two weeks Iam going on the Oasis of the Seas, just booked. So I remembered this review and have taken many notes to take me on mycruise.

Of course, I was just going to quickly skim it….but wound upreading all 66 pages! Even the ones onSt Martin where: 1) we are not going and2) none of those places probably exist anymore.

Thanks so much for all your hard, Epic, Cruise Reviewerwork!

PS I still have and use your gelato flavor cheat sheet!

Edited by denisey
fixing typo....ooops!

Okay, this is an older review, and I'm sure some of the events, shows, and I know the prices have changed. But it is still chockfull of good information and very, very entertaining!

I read Sherri’s Europe adventure first, because I had a Caribbeancruise booked on the Serenade. I thoughtI would get good information on the Cruise line and the ship.

Ahem, I liked it so much, I cancelled my cruise and had myown adventures in Europe!!!

So I read this one, because I knew it was going to be fun!

But I was NEVER, EVER going to go on a BIG SHIP. And I certainly would NEVER, EVER book lastminute!

Wrong! In two weeks Iam going on the Oasis of the Seas, just booked. So I remembered this review and have taken many notes to take me on mycruise.

Of course, I was just going to quickly skim it….but wound upreading all 66 pages! Even the ones onSt Martin where: 1) we are not going and2) none of those places probably exist anymore.

Thanks so much for all your hard, Epic, Cruise Reviewerwork!

PS I still have and use your gelato flavor cheat sheet!

Oh, Denise - you made my day! Thank you so much for the kind words - it makes all of the work going into the review worth it! And I cracked up that you still have my gelato cheat sheet!!!

I can’t wait to hear how your own cruise on a big ship - and at the last minute - goes!

And for the record, I will be starting a NEW review any day now - we just finished an epic 12-night cruise of the British Isles on the Brilliance of the Seas...and Hubby & I will be doing a B2B on the Allure in January - it will be his first time on a mega ship, and I can’t wait to see his reaction!

Have fun - and thank you, again, for the nice note! Talk about resurrecting an old thread from the dead - ha ha!

Oh, Denise - you made my day! Thank you so much for the kind words - it makes all of the work going into the review worth it! And I cracked up that you still have my gelato cheat sheet!!!

I can’t wait to hear how your own cruise on a big ship - and at the last minute - goes!

And for the record, I will be starting a NEW review any day now - we just finished an epic 12-night cruise of the British Isles on the Brilliance of the Seas...and Hubby & I will be doing a B2B on the Allure in January - it will be his first time on a mega ship, and I can’t wait to see his reaction!

Have fun - and thank you, again, for the nice note! Talk about resurrecting an old thread from the dead - ha ha!

I was wondering where you have been, I still laugh thinking of the museum in Italy story. And before anyone yells, I didn't ressurrect the old thread. I'll look forward to reading about Brilliance.

Wait a minute, where's the LIKE button! I can't wait for the Brillance Review, because I AM NOT doing a British Isles cruise!

And for the record, I will be starting a NEW review any day now - we just finished an epic 12-night cruise of the British Isles on the Brilliance of the Seas...and Hubby & I will be doing a B2B on the Allure in January - it will be his first time on a mega ship, and I can’t wait to see his reaction! Talk about resurrecting an old thread from the dead - ha ha!

If you would be so kind to post on this thread when your other review is ready, as we would love to read another one of your FABULOUS reviews. Thanks.

Ooohhhh I'm so excited to read your next review!!! My DH and I were with you on the Serenade in 2012 to the Med and I've read all of your fantastic reviews and your blog ever since!! You have quite a way with words Sherri!:D:D I will be waiting to again read about your adventures...it will be fun to compare your experience to British Isles with our trip on Azamara in 2015.

Cheryl