current safety concerns with mexico crusie

cruiseluver007

That has happened in places other than Mexico, so the advice of checking crime stats really should apply to all cruise ship ports, especially some of the Caribbean Islands.

By all means, check crime stats and media reports on any port that makes you nervous. As for me, I am more nervous about certain parts of Mexico than anywhere else.

By all means, check crime stats and media reports on any port that makes you nervous. As for me, I am more nervous about certain parts of Mexico than anywhere else.

The press has a way of distorting facts to their own agenda or to generate readership. Mexico does have a major crime problem (just like parts of the US) but that crime is nearly always in areas not visited by cruise ships. Old cruise ports like Acapulco, which have now deteriorated in a bad way, are generally skipped by ships. Places like Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) and Cabo St Lucas where crime is a rarity, continue to flourish as great tourist places. Personally, when our plane touches down at PVR every year we just break into a big smile and think, now we are home! As to safety, at least here in PV, crime is not even an issue. In fact, we feel safe going out on the streets of PV anytime (day or night) without any fear (unlike at home).

Travelers need to look at Mexico just like we look at our own country. There is no way I want to go walking around parts of Detroit, South Central LA, Chicago, etc. in the night or day. It is the same in Mexico where there are many places (mostly near the US border) where we would avoid. But as I now gaze out from our balcony and look across the gorgeous Bay of Bandaras, listen to the waves crashing on the beach below, look forward to another perfect day of 80 degree sunny weather, and contemplate what we will have for dinner (PV is a foodie haven with several hundred excellent restaurants in all price ranges) my pity go to our friends at home during the long cold winter :)

What the press does not tell you is that there are more then 50,000 Americans and Canadians that happily live and thrive around the Bay of Bandaras (this is the body of water in front of PV) and worry more about when they will see their next whale then personal safety.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The press does not distort crime in Mexico; if anything, crime there is vastly under-reported. While I agree that crime probably isn't much on an issue in Cabo and PV, it is still very good advice for any traveller to do their own research and assess their individual comfort level. People's opinions on this topic have very little real value . I travelled about 35 times to Bogota in the 1980's and never had one problem - but that doesn't mean that it was a safe travel destination.

The press does not distort crime in Mexico; if anything, crime there is vastly under-reported. While I agree that crime probably isn't much on an issue in Cabo and PV, it is still very good advice for any traveller to do their own research and assess their individual comfort level. People's opinions on this topic have very little real value . I travelled about 35 times to Bogota in the 1980's and never had one problem - but that doesn't mean that it was a safe travel destination.

Media doesn't distort crime in Mexico? Thanks for the laugh.

Don't understand why, but some folks get their knickers in a knot when someone says violent crime is in an issue in some parts of Mexico. There are a number of safe and wonderful areas including PV (where I hope to return next winter), and in Ajijic where I spent some time last winter. However, my friends who live full-time in Mexico tell me that things are getting worse, not better. That's why I look at the crime stats and media reports before I choose a place to visit. Just being careful.

This recent story from the BBC News lists the most dangerous areas of Mexico. In terms of cruise ports, only Acapulco is listed. And the cruise lines no longer visit Acapulco.

Where are the worst-hit areas?

Violence was first concentrated in Mexico's northern border regions, especially Chihuahua, as well as Pacific states like Sinaloa, Michoacan and Guerrero. Ciudad Juarez (just across from El Paso in Texas) was the most violent city. In 2010, some 3,100 people were killed in Juarez, which has a population of more than a million. Violence has now dropped markedly in Juarez.

However, Guerrero, home to the resort of Acapulco, as well as Sinaloa and Nuevo Leon remain among some of the most violent regions. One of the focal points for violence since 2010 has been Mexico's third-largest city, Monterrey.

2011 also saw new areas hit. For example, Veracruz on the eastern coast saw a series of mass killings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10681249

Don't understand why, but some folks get their knickers in a knot when someone says violent crime is in an issue in some parts of Mexico. There are a number of safe and wonderful areas including PV (where I hope to return next winter), and in Ajijic where I spent some time last winter. However, my friends who live full-time in Mexico tell me that things are getting worse, not better. That's why I look at the crime stats and media reports before I choose a place to visit. Just being careful.

This recent story from the BBC News lists the most dangerous areas of Mexico. In terms of cruise ports, only Acapulco is listed. And the cruise lines no longer visit Acapulco.

Where are the worst-hit areas?

Violence was first concentrated in Mexico's northern border regions, especially Chihuahua, as well as Pacific states like Sinaloa, Michoacan and Guerrero. Ciudad Juarez (just across from El Paso in Texas) was the most violent city. In 2010, some 3,100 people were killed in Juarez, which has a population of more than a million. Violence has now dropped markedly in Juarez.

However, Guerrero, home to the resort of Acapulco, as well as Sinaloa and Nuevo Leon remain among some of the most violent regions. One of the focal points for violence since 2010 has been Mexico's third-largest city, Monterrey.

2011 also saw new areas hit. For example, Veracruz on the eastern coast saw a series of mass killings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10681249

Dave,

People “get their knickers in a knot” when individuals use these forums to pontificate about the ills in world society today. Nobody is saying for one moment that there aren’t any dangerous places in the world and all would agree that many of them are located in Mexico. Even Richard is correct when he states that crime in Mexico is under reported (that is Mexican on Mexican crime).

However, the original poster asked about safety in the Mexican ports where cruise ships stop. And this thread, like all before it, took a left turn and became a soap box for Richard to ramble on about poor journalism in Mexico.

The statistics, above, tell a story but they also tell us nothing because they have no context. Murder rates in Mexico would have meaning if the people presenting them also told us what percentage of the victims were foreign tourists. They would have an even greater meaning if we knew what percentages of the victims were cruise passengers. (That would be none!)

In the real world, a person is in greater danger of being a crime victim when traveling to/from the port of embarkation than they are when they get off a cruise ship in a Mexican port. In my case, that would be driving through Chicago to O’Hare and than from LAX to either Long Beach or San Pedro.

Mexico, as a tourist destination, is under such close scrutiny that every transgression involving a cruise ship passenger is reported here and on Trip Advisor. Many of us value the information exchanged here but only if it has something to do with the question originally posted.

Safe travels and . . . Enjoy!

Crime is going up in many different countries.

Mexico is generally one of the worst right now.

How does it directly affect cruise passengers?

In the past decade, one cruise passenger was wounded by gunfire in Mazatlan when he inadvertantly walked through a shootout between rival gangs.

That is the only recorded - and highly publicized - violent crime injury to a cruise passenger in Mexico in 10 years.

During that same period, there has been a huge jump in violent crimes against cruise passengers (and crew) in St Thomas, San Juan, Miami, and Los Angeles.

The cruise line I work for will no longer allow crew to stay ashore after dark in St Thomas and San Juan. Too many have been victims of violent crime in recent years. Our ships do not stay in port after dark in Miami, so we do not have to worry as much there, and we no longer call at California ports, so no worries there.

But in Mexico, we have never had problems for pax or crew, so we have no restrictions or worries as yet.

Is there anything scientific about these numbers? Nothing at all.

It only shows that in the past several years more crew and passengers were victims of violent crime in these 4 US cities than in Mexican cities.

MSN-Travelers; And this thread, like all before it, took a left turn and became a soap box for Richard to ramble on about poor journalism in Mexico. quote]

And you, fellow poster, like every time before did not take the time to really read what I said and jumped to your same conclusion. I am netiher "rambling" nor am I on a "soap box." I simply made the point as before that crime is under-reported (in response to the previous poster's same old conclusion about "medi-hype") and that each traveller should do there own research and make their own conclusions. Why that is threathening to you is beyond me but I feel bad for you that it is.

Maybe it's because I live in San Diego, a border town, but I see all the stories about violence in my newspaper, so as far as underreporting, not a problem for me.

BruceMuzz gave us the date straight from the horse's mouth. He works for a cruise line. A 14 year old girl was killed in the crossfire of a gang incident in St Thomas. Yet the ships continue to go there along with San Juan, Jamaica etc. I have never understood the reasoning behind this.

Your question will bring answers based on personal opinion. As a general rule of thumb, cruise lines drop a port from their itineraries when condition ashore have the potential to endanger their passengers. Acapulco & Mazatlan are currently off the "safe for cruise passenger" list.

Those of us that spend quite a bit of time in the established Mexican Riviera tourist/cruise destinations wouldn't do that if we were putting ourselves and our families in danger.

If it will make you feel better, and that is what your question is all about, check out the current travel warning at State. You won't find any negative information for any of the ports currently visited by the cruise industry. The tens of thousands of us that visit Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta every year don't have a death wish!!

Enjoy!!

Well said.

We live in Puerto Vallarta during much of the winter (am there now) and our biggest (and only) fear are the Margaritas. You see, there is just no telling how strong they might be in various places...with very interesting results :) If I buy a dollar margarita at the Cheeky Monkey or Sea Monkey I have little fear. But last night we were at Tony's Please (a small restaurant popular with those who know) and a single margarita almost put me under the table. And yes, I did fear the walk back to our condo after dinner. After that margarita there was a major danger of falling off the sidewalk!

Ok, enough of the truth of living in PV...where the major dangers are truly too much booze and getting hit by a wild bus. Most of the cruise ships that come down the Western Coast of Mexico stop at Cabo and PV...and these two cities are probably a lot safer (crime wise) then your front yard.

Hank

Too funny!:)

It was an isolated incident and the tourists weren't targeted. No reason for the ships to stop going there.

There have been no incidents with cruise ship passengers other than the one that BruceMuzz mentioned, yet the ships were pulled from Mazatlan never to return.

Again, why? The drug cartels aren't targeting tourists either.

There have been no incidents with cruise ship passengers other than the one that BruceMuzz mentioned, yet the ships were pulled from Mazatlan never to return.

Again, why? The drug cartels aren't targeting tourists either.

NCL stopped going to Mazatlan because one of the ship's tours was at the "Gold Zone" when a shooting took place. Some of the people on that tour were blaming NCL for putting them in danger (although none of them were injured) so NCL stopped calling there to avoid bad publicity.

NCL stopped going to Mazatlan because one of the ship's tours was at the "Gold Zone" when a shooting took place. Some of the people on that tour were blaming NCL for putting them in danger (although none of them were injured) so NCL stopped calling there to avoid bad publicity.

That's the same incident that I was referring to. There has only been one related to cruise ship passengers.

Word is that some cruise line itineraries are listing Mazatlan, including I believe NCL, but there is still a chance they may not go depending on how safe they feel the situation is.

All true and its also true that no cruise passengers were injured. But how can you explain a 14 year old female cruise passenger being shot and killed right off Coki Beach (St Thomas) and not a single cruise line stopped calling at St Thomas. Kind of makes one think that there is an agenda other then passenger safety.

Hank

All true and its also true that no cruise passengers were injured. But how can you explain a 14 year old female cruise passenger being shot and killed right off Coki Beach (St Thomas) and not a single cruise line stopped calling at St Thomas. Kind of makes one think that there is an agenda other then passenger safety.

Hank

the st thomas incident happened 3 years ago.

Additionally, of the top 15 cities in the world with the highest murder rates, 7 are in Mexico; number 4 is Acapulco and number 15 is Mazatlan. Regardless of what has happened at any cruise port, it is hard to imagine that any cruise line is going to risk putting people in harms way in a place that is more dangerous than Afghanistan.

Additionally, of the top 15 cities in the world with the highest murder rates, 7 are in Mexico; number 4 is Acapulco and number 15 is Mazatlan. Regardless of what has happened at any cruise port, it is hard to imagine that any cruise line is going to risk putting people in harms way in a place that is more dangerous than Afghanistan.

To be fair, shouldn't we show that New Orleans is number 21 on the list, and it is a very popular cruise port. Only about 11 per 100,000 less than Mazatlan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

Again, to be fair, let's take a look at Nassau. Far more incidents of cruise passengers being assaulted and raped than most other ports, but cruises are still going there, and the news is not attacking them as they are Mexico.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/nassau/

the st thomas incident happened 3 years ago.

What difference does that make? The point is that not one single ship stopped going to St Thomas, even for a day, and I speculate it is because all those jewelry stores pay the cruise lines very nice commissions on sales.

Did you read what BruceMuzz, a employee of a cruise line wrote about St Thomas?

Interesting stats. That certainly explains why Acapulco was taken off the cruise stop list.